A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More Marble Magnet Madness!  (Read 3612 times)
Tags for this thread: marble_magnet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2008 11:01:16 AM »

I finally remembered to buy the supplies so I could try my hand at making some marble magnets.  They are so addicting!  I made 32 in the last 2 days. 
I got the marbles from the dollar store.  Next time I will buy better quality ones as these had some small cracks inside, were very strangely shaped, and have an iridescent coating on them.  Even so, they were fun to make!
The forum might size them down, so to view full size right-click and view image.

All together, now

Some of my favorites

More images on my blog - I didn't want to post all 32 magnets here!  Cheesy
I think these would make fun pendants, too.  I might have to give that a try and feed my attiction Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008 11:12:25 AM »

those are nice.  I too love to make those kind of flat marble magnets.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
HippieKender

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008 03:49:15 PM »

Thank you very much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jayluh_
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008 07:16:03 AM »

how do you make them? id like to try! and i work at the dollar store and get a dicsount hahahah so I'll buy a whole bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008 08:04:16 AM »

I'm sure there's tutorials all over, but I am too lazy to link one, so here's the short and easy:

Grab your marble, set it on an image you like and trace around the marble.  Magazines work great, origami paper would need to be backed with another sheet of paper or card stock.  Thinner paper tends to show the magnet through.

Cut out the image and put a dab of glue on it.  I used E6000 but any silicone glue should work.  Smash the marble onto the image and watch the glue spread to the edges (it's fun).  Make sure to align the image to the shape of the marble since they are not round. 

Take your magnet and put another dab of clue on it and stick it to the back of the marble.  Set aside to dry.

I found out that it's better to set the finished marble magnet side up to dry otherwise the weight of the marble made the magnet slide out towards the edges.  I don't know if this would be the case with the ones you would get from a craft store.

Here is the site I used: http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/marblemagnets/
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008 08:08:53 AM by HippieKender » THIS ROCKS   Logged

imajacobs
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008 07:25:47 PM »

Those are cute!  I've also seen them made with photos.  They would make a good gift for a grandma. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kathy
HippieKender

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008 02:46:02 PM »

Thanks!
I did toy with the idea of using photos, but most of mine are packed away still - we just moved a couple months ago.  I may have to buy more marbles and unpack some photos before Christmas.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

exotik1
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008 01:41:29 AM »

I just got into marble magnets and need help with printing them using my Hp All-in-one printer/scanner/copier thingy.  Are there any tips for preventing the ink on the printed custom images/photos from bleeding?  I'll be using "Diamond Glaze" Glue and E6000 when it arrives.  I have to make these magnets for a gift next week and dont want to make mistakes with this batch.  I got acrylic cabochons off etsy.com, as well as a few 3/4 inch glass marbles.  Any tips with photo editing programs or with how to resize images is greatly appreciated too!

Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Janome 4052 or PRL25,contact me if you have one to sell or trade Smiley
HippieKender

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008 07:27:33 AM »

I just got into marble magnets and need help with printing them using my Hp All-in-one printer/scanner/copier thingy.  Are there any tips for preventing the ink on the printed custom images/photos from bleeding?  I'll be using "Diamond Glaze" Glue and E6000 when it arrives.  I have to make these magnets for a gift next week and dont want to make mistakes with this batch.  I got acrylic cabochons off etsy.com, as well as a few 3/4 inch glass marbles.  Any tips with photo editing programs or with how to resize images is greatly appreciated too!

Thank you! Smiley

Hmm, the images I used were from a magazine so I didn't have to worry about them bleeding.  Maybe try a light coat of spray varnish?  or even a layer of clear packing tape?  I would suggest doing a test run on a couple pieces. 
As for the photo editing program, The GIMP (gimp.org) is free.  You would open your image then go to Image Menu>Scale Image.  Any photo editing program is going to have a bit of a learning curve if you've never used it before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

exotik1
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008 07:30:26 PM »

Thank you for the gimp link , i will try it.  Do you know if the sealant spray or packing tape might yellow over time?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Janome 4052 or PRL25,contact me if you have one to sell or trade Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Simple Shapes - Adobe Photoshop
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 1/2 - Adobe After Effects
how to Bring Drawings to Life Part 2/2 - Adobe After Effects
How to Create someone Firing a Gun - Scratch
How to Use Shadow Boxes - Dreamweaver
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...