A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chicken doorstop with pictures and pattern!  (Read 10563 times)
Tags for this thread: doorstop , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Astolante
« on: August 20, 2008 10:12:20 AM »

We've all seen the funky chicken doorstops on vrious websites (link to the ones on Refab here: http://www.refab.co.uk/all_products.php?ProductType=chickens), but I cannot, for the life of me, find a pattern for them! When I ws on my sewing kick the other day, I decided to have a go at drafting a pattern for them.

The ones on Refab have only two seams on the body, to hold the beak and comb. While you could make them as a tetrahedron/three-sided pyramid, you'd have too many seams, and wouldn't get the nice rounded shape the chickens have when you stuff them. Also, it's another seam to get straight and neat, and I'm all about time saving and less work!
With the aid of a pair of compasses and some greaseproof paper, I made a pattern by drawing a triangle, and instead of cutting three of them for the sides, I added on half of the third triangle to the other two.

So here it is: The Chicken Doorstop pattern in three easy pieces*!

Oops. The right hand triangle is equilateral, all sides 8" - I forgot to mark it on!   Embarrassed

This is a Paint pattern, but I've included measurements to make chickens the size of the ones on the website. My first attempt was 2" smaller, and didn't weigh enough, but the bigger ones are also easier to sew and the comb is much less fiddly! I'm pretty sure you could copy the picture and scale it up on the computer, but if anyone wants a technical explanation of the pattern (using compasses to draw the triangles and so on), then just ask! Also, if there's anything that's unclear on the pattern, let me know! The grey  dots inside the pattern pieces are where the seam allowances cross - it helps me keep in a straight line and keep the seams even if I mark them on the pattern.

Mine are filled and sewn up with the stuffing inside, mostly because I didn't have a small enough zip! I used rice because we had lots of it in the house, but I think smaller versions with beans would be a good toy for young children, as long as the eyes were stitched securely or silkstitched. I plan to make a set of mini beanbag chickens for my three year old cousin for Christmas, which will no doubt get thrown at the dog!

Here are pictures of the ones I've made so far:

The one on the left is the finished size using the pattern above, the one on the right was the original chicken. The larger one isn't finished - he's  eyeless and not stuffed (although the octopus eye on the material looks quite good, actually... Complete accident!). The material I used was the one left over from my Octobag, in the purses and wallets board. Eyes on the white chicken are silkstitched because I couldn't find teo black beads the same size.

Closeup of the completed (smaller) chicken!

*The beak and comb, I just guessed for sizes and cut freehand from felt
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008 10:39:11 AM »

Ummm... does it make me a bad mom/cat-mom that I'm sorely tempted to make these as bean bags for my 15mo daughter specifically FOR her to throw at the cats now?

Heeheeheeheehee....

Would it be even worse to add catnip to the stuffing to increase the fun?

ACK!  I'm terrible.

Your chickens?  C'est adorable! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008 12:21:53 PM »

so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008 12:57:49 PM »

Adorable!!!

I've been using this tutorial for a pincushion, and it could also be made larger... just slightly different then yours: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=146037.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
soupurrrvhixin
i've got people to see & places that i need to burn down

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008 06:26:47 PM »

Where's the action shot  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes,
us people are just poems
we're 90% metaphor
with a leanness of meaning
approaching hyper-distillation
Astolante
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008 09:53:09 AM »

Until I realised you meant "holding a door open", I had visions of a video of the chicken flying through the air, possibly being closely followed by our dog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Astolante
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008 10:47:10 AM »

Here are proper action shots!

This is Steve the chicken holding open my bedroom door:

And the latest additions to Steve and Clive (the spotty chicken)'s family:

My favourite mini chicken, only 3" high! Of the four I made from offcuts, one's gone to my little cousin's (where it's a "magic flying chicken"), one to my gran, and another to a friend who's always called the mother hen, because she's sat in A&E with three of her friends this year.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008 07:29:59 AM by Astolante » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazyda79
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008 10:10:03 PM »

Too cute and so simple! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
50 projects in 2014 my list on page 54
119/50 swaps
93/50 friends/family
212/50 total
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Your Perfect Hair Extensions Color
Clip In Hair Extensions - Questions and Answers
How to Wash and Care For Clip In Human Hair Extensions
How to Curl Clip In Hair Extensions Separately
How to Put Your Hair Up Using Clip in Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...