A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me dye this dress, please!!  (Read 1195 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenspeed
« on: February 21, 2005 07:53:48 AM »

So I just picked up this dress at a thrift store to wear in my friend's wedding. Only problem is that it's navy blue and needs to be black. I'm not sure what the material is as the tags are gone. I burned a small piece from the seam and it got all plasticy and gooey, so I'm guessing it's made of a whole bunch of synthetic material. I was going to bring it to a local tailor for them to dye, but they all seem to tell me that they either only do natural fibers or that "no one does that kind of thing anymore. You'll have to find your own solution." The latter comment led me to y'all on craftster. I've never dyed anything before, but am willing to experiment. So any suggestions on dye to buy, techniques, do's and dont's, whatever would be most appreciated.

here's the dress:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005 08:39:46 AM »

I really can only say that polyester fabric doesn't take dye all that well. That is why you keep being blown off.  I'd look at the Rit Dye website and see what they have to say on the matter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
moefen
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005 08:16:52 PM »

Polyester totally will not dye.... it is a plastic, and it would like be trying to dye tupperware.  Sorry, it is bad news, but you won't change that to black with dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005 04:11:24 AM »

Check out Dharma Trading. They have dyes for everything. If you don't know what to get or how to proceed, just call them . It's an awesome company.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
lutheranchick
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005 07:04:08 AM »

According to Rit, you can dye rayon, nylon, and acetate.  So if you don't know exactly what the dress is made of, and don't care if you ruin it in a failed attempt to dye it, go ahead-- it might be one of the synthetics that will take dye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
moefen
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005 07:09:19 PM »

From the photo it looks suspiciously like a dull polyester satin. It isn't common to find rayon or nylon formal dresses, and acetate doesn't usually have a "satin" look.  It is often made into a taffeta for inexpensive formals. 

If it is poly, then it isn't good news.  But, as lutheranchick said, if it was cheap and you are willing to risk losing it, then try dyeing it.

Actually, if it is polyester, probably nothing in the colour will be affected, but some of the interior structure of the dress, any interfacing or linings could either pick up colour, or possibly be affected by the heat of the water.

(And you would need to use hot water to get black!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005 07:25:58 PM »

just can't help but wonder...  why does it need to be black?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005 04:49:55 AM »

I'll be wearing black in my brother's wedding. It's a night wedding in a really fancy resturant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
jenspeed
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005 06:01:18 PM »

It has to be black as the bride has insisted that all her bridesmaids dress in black.

thanks for all the advice. i'm guessing it won't work, which I probably knew from the start, but was somewhat deluding myself based on the fact that I liked the dress and it was way cheaper than any of my other options. if i manage to get it black, i'll post the results. thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005 07:00:05 PM »

I don't know if you can sew at all, but you could possibly make the dress look ALMOST black, if you stitched on a fabric overlay.  Maybe something like a sparkly black chiffon over the skirt and a heavy black lace over the top...

just an idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Music-Festival Hair Tutorial: Braids Within a Braid
MicroTouch Max Personal Hair Trimmer: Does It Work?
The Hottest Hair Trends for Spring 2014
How to Make Your Own Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
Tips for Coloring Hair from Dark to Light
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...