A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I'm the green fairy? Help!  (Read 1234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artcat81

No Power in the 'Verse can stop me

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2008 06:03:57 AM »

ok, so last year I talked about making the Green fairy costume from Moulin Rouge, well, it came to fruition, I've already worn it to one convention, and came away with two costuming awards for it. But, I'm not happy with it yet, so its still majorly in progress.  I'm attending Dragoncon next week, and plan to bring it with me.
Keep in mind, this is all handstitched over found objects because I've never really learned how to sew, especially with a machine.  This was done over an existing corset I picked up off of ebay, and its paired with metallic lime green dancers booty shorts.

I've attached a 3/4 view of it on my jerry rigged dressform, yes there are lights in it, they are much more visible in person without the flash.  My question to all of you awesome craftsters, what else does it need?  I'm really not happy  with how it looks in the side view, there is  anoticeable gap of skin between the corset ending, and the shorts beginning... do you think I could disguise that with more beaded fringe? Or, should I let out some of the extra sequined fabric that I tucked under and stitched in place? ( I cut up two sequined tops to cover the corset, and didnt trim them to size)

Kylie Minogue's corset was much longer bodied than mine... think it would look funny if I let the sequin fabric out a bit?

Also, I got a wild hair to add fiber optics into the wings, the fiber optics havent arrived yet, and it would mean a complete remaking of wings... think I should go that route or no?

here is the original w. cgi enhancements for comparison http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/05/18/kyliemoulinrouge_gallery__392x550.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/26091465@N08/2626388679/

and here is a pic of the costume from the night it won, please ignore the goofy look, the woman caught me adjusting the wig, not to mention I was running a high fever for the 2nd day in a row.

Thank you in advance for constructive criticisms!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
"Normal is a failure of Potential" - Eli Stone
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008 06:06:26 AM »

I'm not sure what you want to hear. Clearly if you've already won 2 prizes with it you're doing something right Smiley

I'd be inclined to really finish the small details, do a handkerchief hem on the chiffon tail-y bit instead of leaving it raw. Yes, do something to close the gap between the top & bottom.

Now, the original person to wear that in the movie is stick thin with no figure, and yet in the costume she has nice curves.  You have a lovely normal shape. A lot of movie costumes actually project unnatural shapes, or at least not natural for the person wearing it. The original costume I'm pretty sure was very heavily boned & padded in the bust. If you were to wear a longline bra (the kind sorta like a corset) underneath you could get a little push-up going (not too much) and it will solve some of the wrinkling & sliding that your stretchy top seems to be doing on the dressform.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artcat81

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008 12:06:13 PM »

Thank you for the input!  Do you thnk I can aid in closing that gap by letting some of the bunched up sequin fabric out, kinda extending the illusion that the corset is longer?  or, should i try to disguise the gap with more beaded fringe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down"   - Malcolm Reynolds- Firefly
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008 07:50:56 PM »

I think a little of both. Am I correct in that it bunches at the hip because it is straight & you actually have hips? Open up the side seams to allow that, you can cheat in a little triangle of the chiffon where you opened it & it will also allow you to keep it from fraying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artcat81

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008 04:33:49 AM »

actually its a combination, it bunches at the hips 1. because I do have hips,  and 2. because the sequined tops i chopped up are a good deal longer than the corset, instead of cutting the excess off and facing the nightmare of having to reknot all the sequined strands, I folded it up and stitched it under (think a really thick hemline), so, while teh corset is short on the sides, I could let some of hte sequined fabric out would *might* make the corset look longer...  at least thats my current theory...

Here is another shot, again excuse the dumb look on my face, you can see just how high the corset is on the sides...  http://www.texasartcat.com/costumes/P10005201.JPG
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008 05:25:57 AM by artcat81 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008 06:51:52 AM »

A tube of Fray Check will be your new best friend Smiley It's sold everywhere & you can run it along those edges of the sequined fabric to keep them together. It does dry hard, so be sparing with it.

Is the only seam in the top at the back? In the second picture I couldn't find a side seam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Shortcuts for Easy Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
How to Make Shrimp and Grits
How to Make Thanksgiving Stuffing in a Rice Cooker
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese from Scratch
Texas Barbecue Meal Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...