A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,791
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Auto Litter Bucket (Now with tute)  (Read 17827 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

violet_thistle
« on: August 20, 2008 04:20:37 AM »

I really needed something in the car to stash litter.  What do you think?

I started with my 9 inch pie plate as a template for the circle bottom, cut out a 8 inch tall band to go around. The interior fabric is some outside patio fabric I found in the remnant bin; the exterior 100% cotton. Tute now follows pics by request.

Find something round to trace - I used a 9 inch pie plate.  Cut out a circle from your hefty outdoor material and from your cotton material. Cut a really long piece as wide as you want it tall. I think mine was about 8 or 9 inches wide. For length, I used roughly 27 inches long, after the second one.  But the first time I just used a really long piece.  ((There is a formula, but it never works for me!))

Now, sew a "stay stitch" line a half inch from one of the long edges of the long pieces. You are not sewing anything together, just a line. Now cut little snips along that same edge about an inch apart, but don't go past your stay stitch line.  This helps that long material go round the circle.  You'll have to do this for both the cotton and outdoor long pieces. NOTE: I found I needed to use a longer stitch on the outdoor fabric.

Now sew the circle to your long piece.  Be sure right sides are together and you are sewing along the edge that you stay-stitched and snipped.  Leave the first inch or two of the beginning of the long piece unsewn. Use a 1/2 inch seam allowance. When you start, be sure to backstitch a time or two. Sew a little, then rearrange the long piece so that it curves around the circle piece. No, I didn't pin - it was easier without the pins but make sure that stay stitch line doesn't show, sew right on top of it.) Once you get around the circle, stop about 1/2 inch away from where you started and backstitch a time or two.  With any luck, you'll have a wad of extra fabric at the end. Pull the whole thing out of the machine and use fingers or pins to judge where that seam for the long rectangle should be.  Line up the long rectangle's sides so that they are even.  You'll want to stitch the seam nice and perpendicular to the sides now. Back in the machine!

Now that the side seam is done, trim off all the excess material and go back and finish that little bit of circle that isn't done.  These are the thrills of sewing with no measurements.  (If you DID have excellent measurements, you could sew the long rectangle into a tube first, then sew onto the circle in perfect precision.)
Do this same circus act with the outdoor material, but remember the longer stitch length might be needed.

Now, Cotton material bucket should be right side out, but lining material bucket needs to be right side in.  Stick the cotton bucket inside the lining bucket. The two right sides will be touching. Now sew around the top edge with a 1/2 inch SA, leaving a gap for turning.  Don't forget to back stitch at start and stop points. 

Birth the bag! This is always my favorite part.  Turn your bag right side out (and if you are like me, you've made your gap too small and it takes some minutes of labour to get it all situated). Stuff the lining back down into the bucket.  It should look nearly done!

Top stitch 1/4 inch around the bag, being sure to tuck the material at that gap down and make it look nice and smooth.

Figure out how long you want your strap, cut and sew a tube and turn it right side out. Tuck the ends of the tube back inside 1/2 an inch and sew with reinforcing x's onto the bag straddling the side seam.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008 01:45:14 PM by violet_thistle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hugs, Trish

Quilter, beginning crochet,  beginning apparel sewing, learning to knit

My Etsy
My Wists
My Blog
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008 04:41:18 AM »

I love it (and I need one, too!)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Im Sew Silly
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

If you're crafty and ya know it, clap your hands....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008 04:56:01 AM »

neato- I need one of these for my own car!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exodus 35:35 (NIV)~ He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers - all of them skilled workers and designers

Current Swaps:
Poppet vs Amigurumi
mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008 05:19:42 AM »

Great idea.... I need to make a few of those for our cars and my 2 sons cars as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marinka
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008 05:34:38 AM »

Great idea. I will make one for my car.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

```I```
  ("v")  
    'v'
knutselen
twylag
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008 05:35:38 AM »

that is so cool!  I totally need one .... I wonder what my mum is doing this afternoon ... Wink  Do you unhook the strap for driving or leave it there (does it interfere with shifting at all?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imthemom
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008 05:50:47 AM »

Awesome design and fabric!!!!  So that's how I could do it!  I was just saying to my DD 2 days ago that I needed something in the back seat of our vehicles for them to put garbage in.  I wanted to make one but wasn't sure what to use.  Hmmmm...patio fabric, never thought of that and it's a great idea.  THANKS for the post. Cool 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The words you speak to others are like medicine; they can bring either life or death depending upon how you dispense them.
NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008 05:59:20 AM »

Awesome idea!! My car is always a mess!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
doodlebug3414
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008 06:35:46 AM »

This is awesome.  You have inspired me to make something for my car. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Len
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008 06:53:58 AM »

Ingenius.... And I love the colours. I need one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Oil Paint Part 1/3
How to Oil Paint Part 2/3
Chuck Close Explains How He Paints with a Grid
Gale Fulton Ross Interview
The History of the Batmobile
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...