A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,623
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pewter Cast Pendants -- Pewter Casting Tutorial  (Read 26214 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AeonGoddess
Meme-queen

I dare you to make less sense.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008 08:32:59 AM »

That is a fantastic tutorial! I've cast silver with the lost wax casting technique before, but it never occurred to me that it would be so easy to modify casting to do at home. Thanks so much for posting. Your pendants look fantastic, and it's so inspiring! You have a very fortunate group to have such an artist in their midst. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkmandi
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008 10:56:22 AM »

I love this!  I was just telling my cousins how i wanted to learn how to make charms from pewter, and thanks to you, i can try that now. 

I think the word you were looking for (for when the pewter holds itself in the spoon thinger) is "meniscus"  (I THINK).  Or the skin of the pewter... or. OHH!! its the surface tension!!!  YAY!  (I <3 Science).

Anyway, these are amazing.  Nice work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Weezie13
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008 11:03:40 AM »

I want to THANK~YOU for taking the time
to write this up first, there's alot of work put
into doing those......

Your work is beautiful...

Someday, when I don't have so many pokers
in the fire, so to speak, this is the very first
thing I want to get into..
I love this work...

Cudo's to you for everything./
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008 12:00:20 PM »

Thanks for the compliments, again, everyone!

As far as supplies go, I don't know about the America(s) but in the Nordic countries we have a New Year's tradition where we melt tin in a sauna or on the electric stovetop and toss the molten metal into cold water where it solidifies into different shapes, then tell fortunes for the next year from the shadows made by the tin blobs and their shape and surface patterns (a boat means you'll be taking a trip, and if the surface is rough, that means money, etc.). New Year's tin is often sold in horseshoe shape (for luck!), and I'm thinking it could be used for this kind of projects, at least for practice as you can get it for cheap. Tin is really soft. Of course, you always need to be careful of the fire hazards when handling extreme heat and molten metal!

What a neat custom!! The lead-free pewter is actually usually around 90% tin, depending on the type, so that might work really well! If they're straight tin, like you said, it might be a bit soft, but give it a try!

I had no idea it was so easy to melt pewter! OMG! This tute is fantastic, I can just imagine all the possibilities, suddely custom Christmas ornaments come to mind... lol. And I love pewter anyways, especially as jewellery.

Your tokens and pendants came out beautifully, and I love the detail you have achieved

Make sure you've got a sturdy tree, for ornaments!  It's surprisingly heavy. That would be really neat, though!

As for the detail: I want to try making molds with, I think it's called a vulcanizing compound, it's like a clay that you press designs into, and then it sets, and you can cast into it. I haven't tried it, but want to! I did carve three little pomegranate seeds into the first mold (on the same piece as the owl), but they didn't cast consistently, so I made the other three without it. The metal has to be really hot to get the small details, so I got some with it, but casting so many, I grew impatient!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy. com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
Saturn
The Ditzy Gypsy

Dance first. Think later.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008 07:14:11 PM »

Beautiful work!
And thank you so much for breaking down this process in such detail! I'll have to attempt this in the future :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am currently in:
WWP Round 29 Lughnasdagh 2011 swap!
Date to send item by: 07-25-11
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008 05:04:05 AM »

Fabulous!!! Love the owl best! You're so kind for sharing the tutoral with everyone!

I like knowing how things are made whether I'm ever going to try it or not...it's like solving a mystery for me! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
KiSKi
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008 02:22:58 AM »

I did some casting years ago and have been wanting to get back into it, but figured it would have to wait until I had a bigger place with a dedicated workshop (and the $$$ to go with it, lol), but wowwwww!! Thanks to your tutorial I can get back into it NOW!! Thanks!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SweetPeaDesign
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008 04:51:10 PM »

I am a bit late reading this but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this. 
I am in the enviable position of having about 100lbs of reclaimed pewter at my disposable for about $1 a pound (which I KNOW is lead free) and can not wait to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeepSeaPurl
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008 10:10:59 PM »

Can I just say how incredibly generous you were, in taking the time to put together that amazingly detailed tute??  I, for one, am totally inspired, and plan to embark on this before the end of the year - it's actually perfect for what I'm trying to achieve w/other media.

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions, just for clarification.  I want to make sure I'm understanding everything when I start!

1)  What purpose does the melted wax serve?  To clean?  As a sample cast?  If you need to clean the just-carved stone, can you use say a used toothbrush and water, then super-dry it (like w/a hairdryer, to ensure no molten drops spatter when vaporizing water)?  I can see using polymer clay to check if the carving's coming along, although one would have to clean the stone to make sure none of that oily residue lingered.

2)  I have some of that 2 part RTV silicone putty - is that what you're talking about ("vulcanizing" mold)?  If so, will it really stand up to that amount of heat?  I'm amazed!  But it sounds like the pewter would have to be heated super hot to get fine detail - which is what I'm after.  Do you know how high the molten pewter would need to be?  Wonder if a candy thermometer would be good to get an accurate temp - maybe just a regular digital probe?  Would the molten pewter stick to those things?

3)  How could you get that oxidized look on pewter?  Can you use liver of sulfur, or Win-Ox?

4)  Have you noticed shrinkage, and if so how much?

I know, so many questions!  Sorry to bug you, but you seem like the most accessible/knowledgeable person out there re: this topic.  I googled, but was only able to find one other page on pewter casting in soapstone (or anything else for that matter) for the layperson, and you had already covered the vast majority!  So again, THANK YOU!!   Cheesy

P.S.  SweetPea - if you need to unload ANY pewter, please let me know, I'd be more than happy to barter/buy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DeepSeaPurl
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008 10:50:34 PM »

Alright, I'm a dork - just didn't know the magical Google words to get better search results.  Still!  Your tute's the best I've seen for layfolks. 

I'm still curious re: questions 1 and 4.  I'm figuring if there's copper in the pewter alloy you can use a chemical oxidizer, but not sure if the alloy doesn't contain copper what will happen - just have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Foil Hi-Light with Tint-Back at the Same time - Part 1
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 1
How to Establish Guideline Lengths
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 4
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...