A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pewter Cast Pendants -- Pewter Casting Tutorial  (Read 27830 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

andi_sunrider
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008 12:00:40 PM »

Thanks for such an awesome tutorial!  Do you sell your pieces?  Persephone is my patron deity and despite how popular she is, it's hard to find decent jewelry pieces for her.  Beautiful work!

I don't sell them, although I thought about it, because I wanted to keep these designs for the festival itself. The pomegranate was really really easy to carve -- I used the half circle blade of the linoleum cutter to make the main part of fruit, and the tiny V to make the top crown part.

Wow, you are adventurous! I'd never have thought to do this myself, but you make it sound so easy I may have to try. I'd love to make tokens for the women in my circle.
Your designs are lovely, btw- especially Athena's owl.

I wish I could take credit for the owl design, but alas, it belongs to whoever made the coins in Athens!

It would definitely be a cool activity if your circle ever does crafty activities together, because it's super easy, really. Start off with gifting them with one, and then they'll see how easy it is and can make their own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
julea
I think not, thanks.

I less than three you. <3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008 01:20:13 PM »

There's a lot of room for variation here -- the pewter can hold itself several MM at least on top of the spoon, since the edge of the pewter holds together so well (Damnit, what's the term for that?!)

Surface tension *goes back to lurking* Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008 02:13:23 PM »

That is so cool. I am in awe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
stitchintheditch

You've got that crafty look in your eye...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008 07:34:58 PM »

This is the most incredible instructable I've ever read.  It's more than cool. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raptorgrin
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008 09:05:13 PM »

wow, this is amazing!
how hot does it need to be to melt the pewter?(like a candle would be too cool?)
would lead in the pewter be harmful to wearers, such as children?
and, can any excess pewter be left in the pot to cool, as in, it can just be remelted later on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcbenno
Pronounced mc.ben.no, not mc.bean.o ;)

It's a guineasaurus rex!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008 09:27:49 PM »

meniscus.

at least i believe that's the word you are looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kingfrancebald
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008 09:45:34 PM »

Silica and lead? precaution time! This is amazing, though, and something I need to do! Great tut!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008 10:06:57 PM »

wow, this is amazing!
how hot does it need to be to melt the pewter?(like a candle would be too cool?)
would lead in the pewter be harmful to wearers, such as children?
and, can any excess pewter be left in the pot to cool, as in, it can just be remelted later on?

I'm not sure what you mean by how hot. Are you asking, if you put a piece of pewter in a candle, would it deform the pewter piece? A candle wouldn't be hot enough to melt the pewter in the pot (although while researching this process, I did hear of a person who melts the pewter in a ladle, using a blow torch, and then just pours from the ladle into the mold.) I've just put one of the three pents into a paraffin tealight to test if the heat of the candle will melt it.

I'm not an expert in the lead, to be honest, I just felt that I should warn, that if you're using "reclaimed" to be careful if there's no label indicating content. It definitely would come off in the mouth (hence why kids toys with lead paint are recalled), I'm not certain how much would transfer into the skin. Definitely wouldn't recommend if for anything for kids or women who want to have children, as wiki says that's bad. Lead free pewter is available, so it's not as though this is a toxic project! Lead-free is $10-15/lb, so for the safety, if you can find a supplier, I'd spring for it. I got mine from http://purityalloys.com/Pewter_Alloys.php; they only charged me $10/lb for paying cash. They do have a large min. order, though, for shipping -- if you find a local place, they might sell you a lb or two, like my local place did. If you google Pewter Casting Supply + USA or whatever your country/continent is, you should find some online suppliers, too. I would say that a lb does about 10-20 of the smaller pendants, at least -- my sister used a bunch of it, too, so it was hard to tell exactly, especially just leaving the pewter in the pot...

Which leads to: You can definitely leave it in the pot to cool! That's what I do. The photo above of the melting is actually melting down from a previous batch, not virgin ingots of metal alloy, so you can see on the unmelted part that it's all smooth on top when it cools, and it contours to your pot (although it can fall out if you turn it upside down once it's cool -- watch out for toes and/or tiled floors!). It makes funny sounds, too, like cracking, as it cools -- freaked me out the first time!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008 10:09:04 PM by andi_sunrider » THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy.com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008 12:47:33 AM »

I had no idea it was so easy to melt pewter! OMG! This tute is fantastic, I can just imagine all the possibilities, suddely custom Christmas ornaments come to mind... lol. And I love pewter anyways, especially as jewellery.

Your tokens and pendants came out beautifully, and I love the detail you have achieved
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
wanderingskopos
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008 06:18:29 AM »

I especially love how they look so "period", like something you'd find on an archaeological dig!

As far as supplies go, I don't know about the America(s) but in the Nordic countries we have a New Year's tradition where we melt tin in a sauna or on the electric stovetop and toss the molten metal into cold water where it solidifies into different shapes, then tell fortunes for the next year from the shadows made by the tin blobs and their shape and surface patterns (a boat means you'll be taking a trip, and if the surface is rough, that means money, etc.). New Year's tin is often sold in horseshoe shape (for luck!), and I'm thinking it could be used for this kind of projects, at least for practice as you can get it for cheap. Tin is really soft. Of course, you always need to be careful of the fire hazards when handling extreme heat and molten metal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do the Graffiti Letter L
How to Draw a Bald Eagle
How to Do the Graffiti Letter O
How to Do the Graffiti Letter B
How to Do the Graffiti Letter A
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...