A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finding an appropriate chair for spinning  (Read 715 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chibilightangel
« on: August 19, 2008 06:29:05 PM »

Is there a trick to finding a chair of an appropriate height for spinning on a specific wheel or any number of wheels for that matter?

In this case, I'm trying to find a chair to use with my grandmother's antique Quebec production wheel (which I just spent the last 4 days deep cleaning... the wood is a lot lighter than I had initially guessed). I'm 5'8" and the orifice is decently low, so is there any hope I'll ever find an appropriate height of chair that will minimize strain on my back? I'm supposed to do a spinning demo at the local fair this weekend and the chair I thought would work because it's quite low just seemed to make the situation worse. I realize that this may not be a fixable issue so any input that will help me figure out what to use is greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Apulia
Wannabe professional

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008 07:41:59 PM »

I find that using a chair that let's your legs rest on the treadle(s) so that your thighs are horizontal when you're treadling comfortably works well.  I find it easier to adjust where my hands and arms are in relation to the orifice, rather than squishing my legs.  Also, when I'm spinning, I tend to sit more on the front edge of the chair, but I think that's just my preference as it allows a bit more freedom of leg movement.

My mother had a stool that my grandfather made for her which was a comfortable sitting height and she's used this with all her spinning wheels over the years.

I don't know if this will help at all, I'm 5'11" and my wheel is quite tall . . . lol

Good luck at the fair!

Cheers,
A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time and tide and newly dyed fleece wait for no-one.
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008 06:08:42 AM »

I'm with Apulia about using a chair where your feet rest on the pedals and your thighs are horizontal or *slightly* angled down.

The chair should offer lower back support and you should lean back into it. 

The height of the orifice should be of no consequence - ideally your hands will not be right up next to it but a good yard or so back.

I'm only 5'4", but I have a couple ruptured discs in my lower back.  There is far less strain on my lower and upper back when I sit with my hands away from the oriface.

Have fun with your spinning demo at the fair!  I hope you 'enable' a lot more fiber artists!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008 07:57:46 AM »

I third these motions.   Grin

Your chair should fit you, not your wheel.  The last thing you want is to be stuck spinning in a chair that is too short for you.  I'm 5' 8", too, and have tolerated my fair share of spin-ins where the chairs were just too short for my legs.  You end up feeling completely tuckered out and kinda miserable. 

So pick a chair that you like, that gives you support and fits you.  Like mullerslanefarm said, the position of the oriface doesn't matter...you should spin some distance back from it.  Pretend it's not there, and that the world revolves around what you're doing with your hands.  Your wheel could be across the room, downstairs, or around the block...the important thing is your drafting and handling of the fiber. 

*Confession*
Sometimes I spin lounging on the couch.  And when I say lounging, I mean *lounging*, with one leg dangling off the side doing the treadling.  Watch out, folks...laziness has just been taken to a whole new level!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Apulia
Wannabe professional

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008 07:00:33 PM »

Sometimes I spin lounging on the couch.  And when I say lounging, I mean *lounging*, with one leg dangling off the side doing the treadling.  Watch out, folks...laziness has just been taken to a whole new level!   Cheesy

I gotta try this sometime! lol  Does it work with a double treadle wheel, though? :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloudlover

I should be spinning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008 07:01:36 PM »

*Confession*

OMG, Nicolassa, that image just cracked me up.  Was someone feeding you grapes too?  Haha.  I do the same thing though, especially when plying, I just start slouching from my nice perky posture and throw one leg off onto a coffee table or whatnot while the other treadles.  I'll start to fall asleep while spinning if it's late and I'm not sitting up straight; it's so relaxing!

Everyone is right about the wheel high not being an issue.  Take the Hitchhiker, for example, whose orifice high is probably no more than a foot off the ground!  I have a Traveller and sit in a regular ol' wooden dining room chair with a pillow behind me for lumbar support.  That seems to be the key, for me anyway. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 07:57:39 AM »

Apulia, it totally works with a double treadle!  Mine's a DT.  A DT can always be used as a ST if you so desire!   Which is nice when my right ankle reminds me that I sprained it 6 years ago and didn't bother going to a doctor.   Wink

And cloudlover, my dear, of course my DH Josh feeds me grapes AND fans me while I lounge and spin.  This is why I married him.   Cheesy 

My apartment is teeny tiny, and the couch doesn't directly face the TV, so when Josh and I watch movies, I do the lounging/spinning thing.  I'm sure it's awful and the spinning police will probably hunt me down.  But I can't just sit there watching a movie twiddling my thumbs!  I've gotta spin!  Know what I mean? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Apulia
Wannabe professional

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008 03:44:27 PM »

But I can't just sit there watching a movie twiddling my thumbs!  I've gotta spin!  Know what I mean?

I hear you - I'm always spinning or knitting while watching tv.  I think it drives my DH a bit mental sometimes that I can't just sit still.  But I will confess, occasionally I will do the ironing while watching a movie too.  I think that bothers him more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chibilightangel
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008 07:21:50 PM »

I've decided that one of those nylon foldout chairs (the ones that you fold back and they fit into a carry bag that's reminiscent of a yoga mat type) is a pretty decent spinning chair, particularly for an outside demo situation. I have to remind myself to sit back into the chair, but it really helped out my back and it almost didn't hurt at all. I think I probably put more strain on my back while I was prepping fibre than while spinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008 05:26:24 PM »

I have a little, metal fold away stool I bought at Wal  Mart for, I don't know, 8 bucks. I love it. I can't imagine spinning on anything else (while I watch TV. suspense movies are the best for spinning because as I get all wound up in the movie, I treadle faster!!) but I'm only 5'4".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dye Fabrics at Home
How to Make a Wedding Pomander
How to Make Edible Halloween Decor
How to Make Hand Crafted Glitter Pumpkins
Back to School Binder Make Over!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...