A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gossamer fabric for decorating a room....  (Read 17175 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

adias.angell
Code Goddess

Our Wedding In Paradise 12-11-10 Riviera Maya

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2008 07:46:02 AM »

Hi all,
I need to decorate a room for our wedding reception.  The gossamer on the ceiling and pillars is the look I am trying to achieve but in white and orange:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/adias.angel/SJG4311EKNI/AAAAAAAACgc/uqoSqe_Qhn0/s144/PillarDecorations.jpg

I have no knowledge of gossamer at all!  Just now learned about it while doing research for the wedding. 

Where is the best place to buy a lot of gossamer.  I heard from someone that you can do a special order from Michaels at no charge and then use one of the 40% off coupons.  Is that the best way to go?  Or should I be looking at a different type of material all together?  Thanks ladies!  Carla  Grin
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008 06:25:34 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008 07:02:21 AM »

Chiffon, organdy, gauze & tulle are all thin, lightweight & very sheer fabrics. They are all different surface appearance (organdy will be more shiny, the others pretty matte) and different stiffnesses (chiffon will drape very soft, tulle & organdy are quite stiff) and different price ranges (organdy & chiffon will be a good bit more than tulle & muslin). Tulle is the most sheer, muslin the least.

In my area Michael's does not carry fabric, Hobby Lobby does. Hancock fabrics also run coupons for 40% of a single item once a month. but the days are limited. Personally, I like Hancocks prices & selection better.

Yes, buy twice as much fabric as you think you'll need, it doesn't go nearly as far as you think when decorating a room with it. That picture you linked? I'm guessing at least 150 yards & it looks like chiffon, which starts at about$8/ yard. A standard bolt of fabric is 15 yards, except muslin which often comes in 20 yard bolts & sometimes "manufacturing" bolts of 50 yards.

Tulle is the least expensive as it's usually under $1/ yard.

Muslin is nice because it's all cotton, dyes up very easily (for perfect color matching) and you can re-use it afterwards even with a few staple holes here & there. All the other fabrics will snag or tear with stapling or pushpins (which is what I assume you will use to put up your drapes).

I had 3 bolts of tulle for decorating with at my wedding, it was a nice swag around the hall & that's it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008 02:09:26 AM »

that's a lot classier than crepe paper! 

tulle will probably be your best bet.  Washing it will make it softer, but you'd have to have a really big washer to hold all that fabric. 

Estimate how much you need by measuring the places you want to put it.  Measure up one wall, then across the room to the last connection point, and back down that wall.  Add about 1/4 more so it can drape nicely.  So if your room has 8' ceilings and you were draping it 12 feet, it would be 8' up plus 12' across, plus 8' down, (subtotal 28') plus 1/4 extra (7') for a total of 35 feet for a single drape.  Round that up by 1 foot for a total of 11 yards.  Repeat for each additional drape. 

Then buy extra just in case; you might want to swag it across the front of the cake table or use some to wrap your favors...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pilgrimpriest
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010 02:48:03 PM »

I know this is way late, and you don't need an answer any more, but maybe it will help someone else who does a search. You can get huge lengths of gossamer (not tulle, organza, or any of the others) at Stumps http://www.stumpsparty.com/catalog.cfm?cat=47452 and other places that have prom decorations. I'm researching it for my wedding reception, too, since I'm going to be in a gym and would like a way to cover the bleachers, etc.

Gossamer is non-woven and sheer, and it looks like maybe a similar price to tulle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Harold Holzer Discusses Lincoln President-Elect
Whispered Lies Book Trailer
Tom Pelphrey on Playing Jonathan Randall in Guiding Light
Mary-Ann Tirone Smith Discusses Girls of Tender Age
James Scurlock Discusses His Book Maxed Out
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...