A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,808
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROGRESS! in desperate need of a 2nd [or 3rd or 18th or 284th] opinion  (Read 12729 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
There is something sedatingly seductive, about a skillful pair of hands.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2008 12:49:30 AM »

feathers on the points of the collar,  beads/ribbon on the boning of the collar, the bust needs color...not sure what to do there, but there are some great ideas here! maybe a fiery gold/red sash or sheer or brocade? i love the concept, very lovely work!

I would much rather invest in the lost trades of all the handmade skill left in our society, than feed the blood-soaked steel teeth of the reckless, greed consumed monsters (you know who you are) devouring what's left of this rare, and precious Earth.
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2008 01:58:39 AM »

i think the collar is a bit too large for it to just be considered just fashion...its looks more like a costume, unless of course its more of a costume type fashion show... but the same exact shape for the collar would be great but on a smaller scale. like a little more taller than the bottom of the hair line in the back of the head.

the feathers on the tips of the collar like some one else said would be awesome.

usually im not one for symmetry (way too boring in most cases) but the feathers in back should look the same on both sides and maybe bring them around to the front at the waist line where the skirt meets the torso part.

Mostly Noctural, Feline Loving Crafster :D

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2008 03:29:54 AM »

Much much better, that new concept is starting to grow on me  Grin

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2008 04:07:25 AM »

I have added my notes to the following pictures.  Overall, you have a good thing going, just needs some tweaking.

Hope that helps, and I would love to see pictures when you are done.  Also, how doyou do a stand up collar like that?

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2008 06:23:52 AM »

to be honest, i think the neck flare is a little morticia addams--i'm sorry!  i know you probably worked super hard on it and don't want to take it apart!   Sad  but, i would reduce it... maybe to half? 

on the more positive side, i absolutely LOVE everything else about the dress.  the colors, the feathers, the silhoutte.  it's all beautiful and very well made Smiley 

now selling name book/banners in my new etsy shop--check it out!:

friend me on facebook!
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2008 06:29:17 AM »

I think it needs some red traveling up the front of the bodice. The back looks far more unified than the front. The ribbon on the feather trim needs to become seamless with the dress. Maybe adding some gold into the skirt will help unify the dress too.

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
Kaiser Scissorhands

Why am I sticky & naked? Did I miss something fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2008 07:14:17 AM »

I would make the skirt a little longer, following the draping line of the two top layers, maybe in a gold tone to compliment the top half. I think that dress looks awesome. The construction is amazingly clean.

Living dangerously.
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2008 07:53:58 AM »

You can get some little christmas lights with an independent battery to nestle in the collar. If the model smudged some vaseline on her face it would really glow.
Just an idea.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2008 08:48:31 AM »

First off, congratulations on your construction and pulling together such a clear execution of your vision.

As for the dress itself, I'll quote Tim Gunn and say it's a lot of look.  I think you've definitely got a lot to work with, but I don't think your solution is to add more embellishments to try to pull it together-- that makes it look like an afterthought.  I don't think you should pull it apart or start over or anything like that, but consider taking away rather than pasting on (what a lot of the suggestions seem to be).  I think you do need to find a balance between the front & back as well as the top & bottom.  You have a lot of different fabrics and things going on that seem disconnected in terms of their materiality and the way you're playing with them.

The vision is very clear, but not quite pulled together and refined yet.  Hope that wasn't too harsh, and let me just say you've got a lot of talent!

By the way, I never liked your face.
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2008 09:09:09 AM »

I love the collar, although some beading along the edges with swarovski crystals would be awesome, too. I also think you shouldn't have the bunch of feathers in the back. I like how it starts and goes down the strap, and then I think it should wrap around to the front.
I can't wait to see the finished product!

Favorite moment of the year?  That commercial when m8888888 dropped her towel and jumped naked into the arms of Tony Danza.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Chicken & Beef Lo Mein
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Regional Chinese Food and Cooking
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...