A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROGRESS! in desperate need of a 2nd [or 3rd or 18th or 284th] opinion  (Read 11614 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christysaysrawr
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2008 06:20:19 PM »

is this an avant garde dress?
or something that you want to be really wearble?

i have an issue with the feathers....they might be a bit much,
feathers always "ify" on clothing...unless done impecably...
it's a gorgeous dress though, it's just the COLOR OF THE FEATHERS i don't think really match, although i do get that you're color pallete is based on a sunrise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIYitis.
katieawright
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2008 06:38:13 PM »

maybe make the front a tiiiiny bit longer. it kind of looks unfinished in the front, like it's waiting to have something added. so yea, maybe add a little length to the front (long and lavishing, like the back!) and i definitely think the top needs some reddish orange too. like a lining, or design on the boobs... maybe some beads, or some embroidery work. but the rest of it looks amazing. i could kill to be able to do something as beautiful as that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyislife
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2008 06:44:18 PM »

I actually rather like the train the length it's at  >.<

i think that if you beaded the collar to look a little fiery, that would be amazing. It would be hard work, but probably worth it in the end. The dress is really spectacular though. I love it a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abandonedcouch
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2008 07:20:48 PM »

I'm going to repeat what everyone else says, I'm sure. I think your main uphappiness with it probably stems from the fabric color you used for the bodice and collar. The reds in the skirt are so fiery and bold that the pale gold of the bodice just seems, well, meh. Maybe a deeper gold or even copper or bronze would tie it together better.

Embellishing the collar with the feathers might be something to consider...I agree with whoever said it would soften those points a little. You might be stretching your concept a little thin with trying to capture both a phoenix and a sunset. Go with one or the other to make your concept more powerful. I personally like the idea of the phoenix. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Signatures are for sissies.
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2008 07:30:08 PM »

Here's my doodled on version of your dress.  Everyone has GREAT suggestions!

This is what I would have done:

Made a short, flat, snug assymetrical skirt, with layers of the sheer fabrics draped over, flowing.  Decorated the bodice, with flame-like embellishment leading the eye upward.  I don't bead or embroider so well, so I personally would paint or dye it.

I'm pretty crappy with photo design skills, don't laugh at my coloring!  Props to Miss, whose great redo photo I piggybacked on.
Hope it goes well, you have a great imagination!  I'll stay tuned to see the final design. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 07:31:42 PM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2008 07:33:28 PM »

I love the embellishment that OriginalYouth added above, but instead of painting, beading, or embroidering, I would suggest attempting to create the same lines she created with the feathers that you used on the back.  It would really help to tie the front and back together, and help break up the gold bodice.  I can't wait to see what you come up with as the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
X_indie
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2008 07:43:50 PM »

i think all you need is a bit of colour on the bodice, its a bit plain.
maybe an orange/red bead here and there would finish it off nicely

by the way, i absolutely LOVELOVELOVE the feathers!! i can't even begin to imagine how one sews feathers to a garment. i've always wanted to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thehappylion
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2008 09:08:19 PM »

I just adored the front view, then scrolled down and saw how disjointed the top and bottom were. That's really where I think you're running into problems, because the back is AMAZING. I don't think that's only due to the great feathering back there, but to the melding of the colors as well. The front bodice looks like it's completely separate from the front skirt. I agree with all the people I've read who suggested incorporating the colors more. Personally, I liked that the bodice and collar were just yellow, to help keep it... I don't even know, I just liked that. But I think maybe having some orange in there, or some yellow running into the red of the skirt would really help. But I can only imagine how gorgeous this is going to be, looking at the pieces. Wow. I cannot wait to see the finished product! You are certainly way talented. I kind of wish I could do more, because this would be the type of thing I'd like to wear out doing errands (I have nowhere else to wear it, and imagine rocking that in line at the bank, with two little kids with you!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whyislife
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2008 10:00:38 PM »

oh my. OriginalYouths additions would be stunning! I think you could achieve that with feathers, and that would really pull the front and the back together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2008 12:01:11 AM »

Wow! .... that is amazing - I love it.  The collar and back are fabulous, the front is a little frumpy, but it makes a good horizontal "horizon" line, so I think it works well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Calligraphy Ink
How to Do Different Brush Strokes
How to Draw a Person Sitting Down
How to Draw What You Really See
How to Draw Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...