A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROGRESS! in desperate need of a 2nd [or 3rd or 18th or 284th] opinion  (Read 11451 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

traceldel
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2008 09:06:21 AM »

Brilliant, gorgeous, but it looks unfinished. I agree with earlier suggestions: Blend the bodice with the skirt by flowing the red up, and the yellow down (I like the idea of abstract flame/feather shapes, maybe with ombre-shading red/orangey gold). Bring the feathers to the front, just a touch, perhaps flow them up over the shoulder along the arm hole border of the bodice. The bodice needs a little spangley highlighting to brighten it up, and the fan needs MORE spangle than the bodice. So the sparkly-bits draw the eye up along the bodice to the crown-like Sun-Fan. Maybe some yellow/red/Fire Opal Swarovski rhinestones? Glitter? Sheer, metallic, chiffon-ny material?

The back is lovely, with those sweeping lines that draw the eyes up and down, but the front looks like two different dresses right now. The eye stops at the bodice. The skirt flows, but the bodice is static.

You're almost there!!!! It will be absolutely STUNNING. You should rest and recharge your batteries. Go for a walk, watch the sunrise or sunset, then look at your creation with fresh inspiration!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2008 09:09:23 AM »

i think this looks fabulous!  ya know in fire and elements such as that they seem to transend through out when you look at it.....wha if you were to put more color in the collar? maybe add some punch and draw your eye to the whole instead of seeing fab color on the bottom but as you work your way up it seems to loose your attention despite the beautiful collar.   Nice work and I think it looks spectacular! would love to see it in person.  I haven't read thru the thread and maybe someone has already mentioned it.  but um....."alright then...carry on."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008 09:22:11 AM »

I love this dress and it's concept. It's gorgeous. I've read all the replies and agree with most of what people are saying.

If it was me, on the back I would, leave it pretty much as is except for moving the feathers on the feathered side so that there is no strip of the goldy/cream fabric showing, I think it detracts from the fabric.

To the front, I would change the style of the skirt, to go with the flamy illumination style I would give it an asymmetrical skirt, which wraps around and continues onto a shorter train, like this maybe...

Only under the skirt bits is where you would add your gathering and extra bits of sheer fabric in the different shades throughout the dress, including goldy cream to continue on from the top part, which would essentially look the the front of the skirt you have now only more fitted and "neat" i mean "neat" in the disorganised chaos neat... I also this a 'bustle butt' would suit this dress idea/concept too, esp the flame/phoenix idea... Thing of violent shocks of fabric graduating out from under the butt feathers to pronounce it more but not make it look like a big lump... (looks like it's already got a bit of this)

(I feel like I'm being bossy and pushy here so i apologise, I'm not meaning it to sound like that I swear!)

I would not put feathers on the front, and avoid led's or lights of any kind. I would stick to reflective or glittery beads, that illuminate with light, I would, for now leave the 'collar' as i think it's stunningly simple.

If this was my dress.... I'd want who ever to see it be saying or thinking... wow, nice... at the front then BAM OMGWTF that's amazing at the back, which is where it's at atm.   Roll Eyes

Those are just 'my' suggestions, that's all they are.

Sometimes if we are too close to a project we become idea's blind and are just sick of seeing it.

I think what ever you do, once it is finished it will be amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
courtn341
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008 09:35:27 AM »

i almost like the fact that the top is somewhat plain..
the back is gorgeous and adds a lot to the whole aesthetics of the dress..
the collar reminds me of the brightest point of the sun thats blinding its so white/bright..
so needless to say, i think your dress is gorgeous , and you really did a good job with the theme you intended.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mimirecon
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008 09:44:39 AM »

I would have done the phoenix bird itself; but your two concepts of like a phoenix bird flying away in the sunset brought a pretty picture. lol  I researched images of the phoenix bird to get a better idea of the concept; maybe the feathers need to be a bit longer. Well, that's my 2 cents lol. Good luck and your dress is coming along beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovething

braaaaaaiiiiiinnnnssss

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008 09:47:05 AM »

It looks great so far, but I think the bodice and collar definitely need something sparkly. Maybe some hand sewn sequins or beading?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcleod
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2008 10:05:32 AM »

ok so i love the idea but it needs a lot of work first if your going to do the train red and the skirt red you need to incorporate gold into it or else it looks like you sewed 2 dresses together then the from you need to cover up the seem of the bottom corset where it meets the skirt cause thats one section that looks really bad i like how you have the feathers but i think a few might be nice in the front somewhere maybe very subtle as for the huge neck thing it looks very hallwoeeny right now so maybe play with the shape some more or incorporate the red into it so it doesn't stick out from the outfit like a sore thumb.actually now that i think of it do some embroidery maybe of the gold corset and get rid of the big neck thing. but over all its a nice start good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Daddy mommy's channeling DC comic book characters again!!!!
ninjanator
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2008 10:12:50 AM »

i love the shape of your collar and the fabric you chose Smiley i find the pattern on the bodice to be stunning and not plain at all but perhaps something could be done to the inner collar part to make it sparkle a bit more? something simple like beading along the edge or what not. I also really like what you've done for the back but i don't think the way it bunches near where the feathery part ends is all that flattering so i wouldn't gather the fabric there but rather make a few snips so that some of the outer layers of fabric end near the back of the knees. Also some of the bunching in the front (towards the right) is a bit odd, but i can't think of anything yet to change about it.

oh one last thing, maybe you could cover the outer part of the collar in another fabric? something brighter (but i'm shying away from vibrant reds since that may overpower your whole dress as you already have a lot of that going on) because the shape is gorgeous but colour of it is just undramatic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
skarinja
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2008 10:16:14 AM »

I didnt read all the previous text sorry, but here's my input. The back looks 100x cooler because there's something that breaks the obvious line between the red shade and yellow shade. I think you need another way to mix the red and yellow on the front and break that straight line and stagger it. I think you could also bring that up to the wide collar somehow. I also like how on the back you can see another color over the red of the skirt. I think that would be nice in the front. Its too one dimensional on the front. I absolutely love it though. It's beautiful! I hope you win.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog pleats n' eats!!

http://pleatsneats.tumblr.com/
Gboo531
crafter of many nifty things and still learning more...

craftin' lady

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2008 10:23:04 AM »

first, the immediate opinion of my very-girly-obsessed-with-dresses-facet of personality:
Hellooooooooooooooo dolly!!!!!!!!!!!
that dress is so scrumptious... Grin Grin Grin Grin

and now, the artist:
gorgeous. I really love the concept on that dress.....(hell I might even paint something like that if its alright with you!)

1)yes. the collar needs embellishment. I love the feathers on the back, you could carry those forward. The collar has a bit that curves forward, linking to the bodice (aka the bottom most spikey thing) could this have a light layer of feathers applied? or instead of the really thick shorter feathers in back, 2-3 LONG feathers to curl forward, shaped to a point? you could also hand paint/hand dye the INNER collar fabric closest to the neck with a pale orange/red and blend into the shining gold. it would bea s subtle tribute to the color going on below and break up the gold on top.

2) The feathers in the back. you have 2 options here (in my little head. outside you have about 2,347.2  Wink ) The asymmetrical look is lovely, but if you keep it I would continue the line of feathers down into the dress, anchored again to ribbon or even a piece of the tulle-y stuff. just a thin line, coming out of the bustle and curving down the train. Or, line the other back-strap as well, and end the bustle in a V shaped, as thought the bustle was the point of the tail. extend approx 1 - 1 1/2 feet below, gradually changing from short to long feathers to make up the point.

3) the corset. very abrupt joining to the skirt. I love love love the concept earlier of layering some tulle over it to 'blend' the corset into the skirt. maybe start out with a gold tulle (I have labeled it tulle in my mind so it doesn't become "that awesome net-y stuff the skirt is made of." thats just to much to write.  Wink ) and...maybe even...a few feathers! shorter feathers along the bottom seam of that center piece of fabric at the bust, short enough that they don't come up over the (forgive me but I don't know how else to identify it) line where the nipples would be. and not to think, 2 layers of feathers maybe. If you'd rather not layer the corset with tulle, you could cover the bust-to-skirt seam with a downward pointing layer of longer feathers, 8 ish inches long, soft not stiff feathers. again, not really thick, but it would really "fire" it up, without having just a bland seam.

4) I also heartily support the asymmetrical skirt concept. what about combining that with the "burned" concept? you could make the last layer be a black tulle, or even-and if this is a total fire hazard forgive me- burn the edges? last but not least, what about dying the edges of the under layer with a grey-black to enhance the "burning" effect but keeping the airy flame-y feel of the tulle?

5) I am completely opposed to glitter of any sort. As a performer, I spent a large amount of time encased in it on a variety of stages. I find it tacky. and a pain to clean up. I would avoid glitter at all cost and keep this beautiful thing sparkle-free.

As the designer, it is ultimately up to you the direction your dress goes in. Mine and all the others are merely suggestions, the crafter in all of us seeking to finish the beautiful piece you already have in the works. please keep us posted on how this goes! can't wait to see your finished piece! best of luck!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi, I'm an OCD crafter too!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Loop Ponytail
How to Make a Tousled Bun
How to Do a Basic Hair Blowout
How to Create Wavy Hair
How to Do a Fishtail Style Braid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...