A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PROGRESS! in desperate need of a 2nd [or 3rd or 18th or 284th] opinion  (Read 11450 times)
Tags for this thread: party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ninja_Poo
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008 11:25:40 PM »

I like the general shape of the collar, but it's a little boring - I think it'd be neat with some strategically placed holes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
M Fox
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008 11:29:32 PM »

What about making the front part of the skirt a little more simple, just a flowing drape.  Then add the red or gold chiffon to the shoulders to give a sense of wings, but keep it subtle, so as not to draw attention away from the collar.  Maybe a few feathers cascading down one side of the neckline, again, just subtle.

That collar is amazing and I love the colors, good luck in the show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008 11:32:05 PM »

Wow, that's absolutely gorgeous!
I really adore the train, it made me gape a bit Cheesy
I agree with the adding something to the collar.. Maybe some red embroidery? Or more feathers even? Something to tie in the red..
I really love it though. The draping is gorgeous and the back is absolutely beautiful!!
Good work and good luck in the competition!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
panthera

Mostly Noctural, Feline Loving Crafster :D

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008 11:45:09 PM »

1. I'd put the feather detail thing around the front....if possible do the corset thing all or half feather. Smiley

2. Forget the vampirish fan around the neck, makes me think of night as it's too sharp and curves around to meet the front, something round and small radiating think peacock fan shape for the back. Or use the sharp fan around the waist maybe to tie in top and skirt.

That's about all I can think of for now.  Huh

Sorry if i sound harsh but you did ask that people be brutally honest  Wink Tongue

Good luck with the competition Smiley
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008 11:52:42 PM by panthera » THIS ROCKS   Logged

moonshinebluebird
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008 11:54:41 PM »

I love where you are going with this.

I think separately most of the pieces are great but there are a few areas where they don't flow together and my eye is stopped.  Does that make sense?

The bodice (if thats the right term) is the biggest part that seems a little odd, it totally stops my eye and there I am staring at those lines that lead me to the armpits and not up to the most awesome "illumination" of the collar and In all fairness I can see you aren't finished with it and the waist area... but I really want to say that I'd like to see those horizontal lines go away, maybe change the neckline to be less horizontal and more dynamic... perhaps carry the shape of the reverse scallop thingies that are on the collar. (yep, I know no technical terms, unless "thingy" counts)

I think the back/bottom is great! love the drama of the train and the feathers really bring the fire aspect to it, along with the color.

As someone else said, you might bring the feathers somehow to the front, even if its just a tiny bit for flow.

What seems to be missing is carrying the red up into the top, partially due to the horizontal on the breast and party due to no red.

I don't think it should be heavy however or even extend all the way, just a bridge/fade.  Embroidery does sound good, perhaps time consuming though.  I like how it goes from the red to the pale and anything heavy might ruin that effect.

I am in love with the collar, I think it fits the theme so much, its like illumination, rays of light shining up from the fire, the pheonix.

I am not a designer, I don't play one on tv, and most days I can't even dress myself to match, so take what I say with a grain of salt and also know that I really really do LOVE what you have done so far and am very impressed.

(I hope that was helpful, you seem like you don't just want the arse-pats but some different eyes looking at it critically)

and umm... please keep us updated! when I saw this my jaw dropped, I can not wait to see the finished results and good luck! Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008 11:56:46 PM by moonshinebluebird - Reason: What I typed was not what I meant to type hehe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

An ACEO a day for a year
Flickr
Etsy
"A wise old owl lived in an oak..."
sulkycat
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008 11:56:38 PM »

i think it depends what overall look you are after - reading the replies is interesting because some of the ideas make me immediately go ohhh no, but i am proably much older than some of the posters (and i mean much)

if you are after a more classy look, then i think keep the collar, keep the bodice, and use some more of that colour fabric for the skirt, espcially the front which doesnt quite seem to link to the rest of the outfit at the moment

maybe a fairly simply, well cut skirt, slightly hitched up at one side with the coloured material as an underskirt? then you wont have to totally get rid of it, just use it as a contrast (like deeper coloured flames around the lighter middle?)

the flip side of that is to go all out and make the whole top part and collar more vibrant to match the skirt / back.... at the moment the front skirt doesnt gel with the rest of the outfit, its (as i think someone else said?) almost as if there are 2 ideas fighting here and you werent sure which to go with

personally i think the collar works, the bodice works and the back feathers & train work- best of luck and will be looking out for the finished dress!

(ps looking at the background of your (college?) room made me reminisce about my fashion design training...ahhhh huge tables, i have never had the luxury of one of those ever since i left!)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 12:01:33 AM by sulkycat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

moonshinebluebird
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008 12:01:00 AM »

Looking at it again, I noticed that on the back there is some sort of awesome sheer fabric that picks up the lighter cream color in just the right amount to help it flow.  (and create dimensions to this piece, love it!)

Along with the two back straps creating movement for you eye to go up and down and not out.

Can you somehow use that same sheer in the front to help the two colors and your eye flow more?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An ACEO a day for a year
Flickr
Etsy
"A wise old owl lived in an oak..."
Ptraci
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008 12:16:38 AM »

If you want it to represent light coming out of the phoenix's fire, you could draw some inspiration from the shapes flames make. They tend to rise and flow upwards; that's why I'd add some waves of orange and red to the top because right now the front looks divided. And maybe even some yellow going down to further the connection (I think the fabric you used has some yellow reflections, but I'm not sure, my screen's contrast is a bit off.)

The feathers are a great way to connect both parts, but I don't think they would work as well at the front.They'd be a bit too much, I guess.

You could add some embroidered flames to the collar, and even the detail of a phoenix (or a vague phoenix-like shape) as the source.

I don't know, I'm just writing ideas off the top of my head. The dress has amazing potential and I think you've done a great job so far. Don't forget to post pictures of your progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RissaSan
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008 12:27:19 AM »

Crap, call me heinous and tacky but I love it. I got the Phoenix theme without much prompting and I just overall think the composition, fabric choice, and flow are well chosen and done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥ Hate is easy, love takes courage ♥
cheapcityh4lo
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008 12:50:04 AM »

It looks so great! The color palette is gorgeous...but there is a few things I think might look great...

1. The collar has a lot of sharp angles and edges, which directly contrasts with the soft layers of the skirt, BUT the inside of that collar is screaming for some embellishment. So I was thinking take more of that red organza (possibly?) that you are using in the bottom of the dress and make some really flow-y layers and ruffles with possibly some of that same shade of creamy gold fabric. I think it would really make the whole thing amazingly avant-guarde.

2. Or if not the ruffles idea, then maybe pull more of those feathers into the collar.

I feel like the dress is so close to being delightfully over-the-top, but isn't quite going all the way, and playing up the inside of that collar would add so much. Maybe even mirroring the pleating in the bust, which looks a little lonely, in that it seems to be kind of a random element on the dress.

It looks wonderful, though, good luck with your contest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hannah Tunnicliffe on Her Novel "The Color of Tea"
5 Factors of Aging from Dr. Mike Moreno
Author John Witt Discusses the Hidden Story of the Laws of War
"Tilt" Book Trailer
Lorna Byrne Discusses Her Book A Message of Hope from the Angels
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...