A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 309,998
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: $20 sewing machine  (Read 1403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

floatingmoon
« on: August 18, 2008 10:13:50 PM »

I saw fryers of stores (Walmark, CdnTire, etc) selling $20 sew machine?
Anyone have one? or know someone who has one?

pros, cons, what can they do? what can't they do? etc???

Please give some comment. I am consider buying one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008 11:27:34 PM by floatingmoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008 06:43:35 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NONONONO!!!

$20 is a toy, not a real sewing machine, even if the box says it's real. It's a cheap piece of crap.

You can get real sewing machines, new, as low as $90 US. If your budget is very small your best bet is used, but after responding to your other post I still say get your current machine repaired. $50-60 to repair a good older machine is a far better bargain that a toy or a new cheapo machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floatingmoon
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008 10:15:33 PM »

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay, lol

I was just very curious of how a $20 machine works, haha.

...um...it depends if my mother willing to pay the money to fix it....
(a friend of her gave her the machine)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008 04:16:24 AM »

Sears has a nice machine for $80 right now. and it has a needle threader and some stitches and whatnot..
And for an extra $40 you can buy their 3 year extended warranty that includes a free cleaning every year - that alone normally costs more than $40 for one cleaning alone!
It looks like a great machine.
If that is over budget (which the $80 is probably going to be equivalent to the fixing of a broken machine.  I know my dealer charges $70 to just clean a machine - not even fix it!) then I would look in to freecycle.org for a freecycle group near yours - people give away machines fairly regularly...
or check craigslist
or your local second hand stores... just sew on it before you buy it Wink
and don't forget yard sales.  I just scored for a friend a $400 machine for $35 - and it is less than a year old!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008 05:22:17 AM »

A cleaning & tune up in my area is about $40, so look into it so you know what it'll cost. Time is also a factor, I usually pay a little more but I take my machine to the guy who does same day service.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jennickell
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008 11:57:08 AM »

I just bought this one on overstock.com
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts/Brother-Heavy-Duty-CE4000-LCD-Sewing-Machine-w-Cover-Free-Bonus-Feet-Refurb/2667447/product.html?

and i love it (although I have only had it for one day), it retails for $299 and it was only $99 on overstock.
There are some other machines on there for cheaper.

Also, if you check around at garage sales, thrift stores and such, you can find some nice machines that may only need a tune up (I just decided to treat myself to a new machine, but I had been using a Neechi I got at a garage sale for only $15)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Unfinished Projects
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 11:27:41 AM »

Try Craigslist, too.  I got a machine from there last night.  It's a 1993 Elna 8000 model - retailed when it was brand new for $2,000 and I paid $250 for it.  I"m going to post pics on the "show us your machine" thread if you want to see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008 04:51:33 PM »

Another option is your local thrift store.  Mine always has 5-10 sewing machines.  The most expensive is usually about $30 and that will include the table.  Just yesterday I was looking at them, and without a table, they ranged from $7-12!  I picked my machine up at a Goodwill for $30, and it worked fine.  I used it for 5 years before even taking it in for a cleaning & timing adjustment (poor grad student at the time)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008 06:11:00 PM »

My parents volunteer twice a year at a big rummage sale in Jersey. My mother is in the electronics department which gets the sewing machine (anything that plugs in goes to the electronics department even if it would technically belong somewhere else) anyhoooo... they get in a ton of sewing machines (still waiting for them to get a serger in) and my mother says that one woman would come in and buy one or two every year... she asked her why and she said that she has them set up all over the house and when she has company over she has them thread them for her since her eyesight doesn't let her thread them - so she has machines all over the house with different colored thread so if she needs to sew with red thread she goes to this room or that room...

okay.  had to share that.
now that my mother has learned of craftster and has been stalking me I am sure she will be following behind my posts... I am sure that I didn't get the whole story straight or *just right*

Anyhoooo. had to share the story of the woman with more sewing machines than anyone should ever own Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008 10:45:13 AM »

Cheesy  I tried getting my mom here but they still have...dial up... and refuse to upgrade. I tried logging on Craftster from her house once & it took about 10 minutes to get the front page  Roll Eyes One of these days they'll break down & upgrade but in the meantime, bleah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Hot Hot Pads
March 22, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Chandelier Earrings

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...