A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: (Really) Little Black (Tshirt) Dress  (Read 2947 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cougaliciousx3
« on: August 18, 2008 05:34:13 PM »

thumbnail for previews =d

UNNECESSARY READING
So i've literally had this shirt since i was in fifth grade. HEre's the before pic: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Dare_tshirt.png
They give it to us for finishing the DARE program, and since they ran out of all wearable sizes, i think i got like.. a XL or something. So i gave it to my dad and its been sitting in his closet for like.. the last seven years. OH and it was also the shirt that got me started on sewing! The first time i've ever heard about reconstruction was when I saw a halter that a girl had made with her Dare shirt and I was like "wow that's pretty cool!" and after that, I got into reconstruction, and from there, progressed onto sewing XP.

So i've been on a crazy dress obsession since... like.. march, and this is the first OFFICIAL dress i've made since then. A homage to sewing, for me, i guess you could say. The shirt wasnt long enough to turn into a dress, so i had to add part of another white tshirt, but the tshirt was OBNOXIOUSLY stretchy, so the white part of the dress was all warped and stuff. Hence the belt.
PLEASE READ HERE
But after adding the band, the shirt was STILL not long enough to be a dress =___= so here it is in its micromini glory. Should i make it longer? >< >< I have enough fabric left over from the sleeves to add another .. two inches i think.. but i'm scared it'll look puffy and weird (From stretching) ><;

closeup on the ruched front! yay

close up on the top

close up on the strap! they're slightly ruched, and supposed to fan out over my shoulder. I was thinking of adding a flutter sleeve, but I saw a DKNY dress that looks just like my dress (except with a tie, not a belt, and.. much prettier =d ) with flutter sleeves, so i decided not to =d Ignore my brastrap please Sad

I kind of wanted to insert triangular panels on the bottom (kind of like.. pleats) kinda like this => but the pink would be white..
what do you guys think?

asdf comments critique?! please =d thanks XP

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 08:09:48 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aytchjay
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008 06:06:35 PM »

Lovely! I don't know about your tastes, but I really think the shape of the dress is super-chic. You could add triangular inserts for a different look, but you *may* want to wear it with leggings if you do that. It's already short, so making it flare out more could also make it more revealing. It'd be cute either way, so just think about how you want to wear it. Personally, I love it just the way it is, but it's your call!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ahoy Sailor!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008 06:27:26 PM »

saweeeeeeeeeet. i love this. everything about it just works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justine256
נυѕтιиє.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008 09:28:48 AM »

I think flutter sleves would look good...but either way its cute! I wouldn't add any length just wear leggings with it. Great job on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ich Liebe Dich.

TH♥
cougaliciousx3
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008 02:14:17 PM »

thanks for the feedback guys!

hm.. but about leggings.. i think black would look weird considering i'm wearing a black dress already.. but what other colors could i do? ><
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spac36host
the n00b.

coast to coast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008 03:09:44 PM »

i like that dress..i could see it wth those white pleats you were mentioning, that'd prolly be nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

this....is my signature.
StyxAndStones
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008 07:41:08 PM »

I'd love the look with red leggings that stop about mid-calf.

Back when leggings weer popular the first time, a little girl in my class came to school wearing a big sweater and panty hose because she didn't have leggings.

If you're still feeling a little too exposed (or leggings aren't your cup of tea) what about extending the band to turn the dress into a drop-waist style? Or would that clash with the empire waist? Anyway, I think you're going to rock it whatever you decide. Just giving up some options Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a part of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect."--G. Carlin
thehappylion
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008 09:21:37 PM »

I agree with the leggings, and because of the black, white, red of the dress, you have just about every color of the rainbow to chose from. I think red would be awesome, too, but you could do something crazy like metallic purple just for the effect. Okay, sorry, all my sewing goes to a 3 year old.
Looking at the skirt you liked, though, and having just done one recently with the same style, I agree with StyxAndStones about a drop waist look. I was going to say that, but I don't think it'd work with the dress you have here, probably have to save it for the next t. I have a gorgeous jumper that is just body skimming, then hits that low waist and has panels, even though they're same color, it's the big kick of it that makes it amazingly cool. One of my very favorite items, and probably would have been awesome to do instead of the white waist... just made the dress down to your hips or so, then used another black t or the sleeves, plus the white t in the panels. By the way, the panels were massively fun to do and I'm way a beginner sewer and I pulled it off, so they're super easy, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Coarse and Textured Hair to a Long Face
How to Match Coarse Textured Hair with a Square Face
How Style Straight Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Hair for an Oval Face
How to Cut Curly Hair for a Round Face
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...