A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,249
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL for zippered wristlet (Halloween fabric fun) Long + Pic heavy  (Read 3306 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dem

I love yarn ever so much.

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2008 04:10:19 PM »

Last week I posted a Halloween Fabric wristlet. A few People asked for a tutorial, so here it is.

Materials:
   2 complimentary fabrics – at least 1/4 yard of each
   1/4 yard of interfacing
   1 zipper (7” works)
   1 button

Directions:

Seam allowance: .5”

Cut the body piece out of both fabrics (outside fabric is visible when the wristlet is closed, inside fabric is like the lining) and the interfacing.

Dimensions:

(I used templates because I am making alot of these. They are not necessary.)
Cut one 7.5” x 8” rectangle from outside fabric (pocket lining).
Cut one 3” x at least 13 “ strip from inside fabric (wrist strap)
(I cut two 3” x 7.5” strips because I already had the 7.5” measurement from the body piece and this allowed me to lay it all out on 1/4 yard of fabric.
Cut one 1” x 3.5” strip from inside fabric (button loop).

Fuse interfacing to wrong side of outside fabric.
Press strips in half lengthwise, then press edges to center fold, then fold in half along center fold, for both wrist strap and button loop.  (If you are using two 3” x 7.5” strips for the wrist strap first sew the strips together, end to end, then press open seam.)

Sew pressed strips.
For the wrist strap I like to sew along each edge, starting with the open edge.
For the button loop I like to just sew straight down the middle.

But you can secure the straps however you like.

Zipper:
Lay the outside fabric face up on your sewing surface. The lay the zipper face down along the 7.5” straight edge. (I like to put the zipper about 1/8” from the edge of the fabric).

The place the 7.5” x 8” rectangle wrong side up on top of the zipper and pin all three together.

If you don’t have a zipper foot, like me, just set the needle all the way to the left and sewed with the zipper teeth along the outside edge of the foot. (It helps to leave the zipper open to start, then when you get close to the zipper pull, stop sewing and zip it up before continuing. Sew from the open side to the closed side).
Trim interfacing close to the seam and press away from the zipper.

Lay the inside fabric on your surface right side up. Place the zipper, outside fabric attached, on top with the 7.5” x 8” rectangle up.

Fold 7.5” x 8” rectangle up to the zipper and pin right side down to zipper and inside fabric.

Sew as above.
Press away from zipper.

Button:
Stitch button onto outside fabric (and interfacing) centered, 2.5” down from the zipper.

Line up the right sides of the inside and outside pieces of the body pieces and make sure that the pocket lining is folded in half and the zipper edges are lined up.
On one side insert, between the right sides of the body pieces, the wrist strap loop (folded double the strap should be at least 5.5 inches in from the edges of the body pieces).
At the narrow end insert, between the right sides, the looped button loop strap. (Doubled it should be around 2.5” in from the edges of the body pieces).
Pin right sides together.

Sew around the edges leaving an opening (around 2 inches long) in the lining of the zipper pocket. (I like to mark my openings with double pins so I don’t forget about them and sew them shut).
IMPORTANT: make sure the zipper is at least half open, or you will not be able to turn right side out.
Trim interfacing and zipper to seam.
Trim straps to seam allowance.
Trim corners.

Turn right side out through the opening in the pocket lining.
Sew closed the opening in the lining.
Press edges.

Fold up zipper end 4” and finish stitch around the edges creating a second non-zipper pocket beside the zipper pocket.

Congratulations, you’re finished with my convoluted instructions.
If you having any questions please post in the thread or PM me.

Dem
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008 04:25:07 PM by Dem » THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkladymajesta
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008 04:18:51 PM »

Thanks for posting this! Maybe when my new craft room gets set up Ill be able to attempt something lined and with a zipper  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juaniece
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008 04:27:14 AM »

What a great wristlet!  I really like the design of this one...the zipper holds everything and you don't risk losing the lipstick when carrying the wristlet!

Thank you for the tute!  I had not thought of putting the little bag together in this manner! I plan to try this after my life slows down!

Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clarabelle4568
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008 04:50:25 AM »

merci beaucoup pour ces explications

many thanks
i will try
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kass
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012 12:35:16 PM »

I love this! Another for my to do list
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coffee Cups Designed with Little Creatures Inside
Julia Morgan and the Ecole Des Beaux-Arts
Using Design Passion to Make the World Better - Ross Floate
Thinking For a Living Working in Design - Ross Floate
How Hands On Experience Shapes Design Career Path - Ross Floate
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...