A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorating a Room: Craftalong!  (Read 3337 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009 09:34:34 AM »

This craftalong will be just the kick in the pants that I need! I want to decorate my kids' room.  Right now it's pretty bare and boring. Here are some pictures I took earlier in the fall.  The only change is that we've moved the bird to the living room, so that space is even more empty!

I have some wall hangings planned and some shelves to paint and hang.  Any ideas or tip you have would be appreciated! :-)  I'm going for a tree theme since that'll be good for both boys and girls.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
princessacademy
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010 07:44:45 AM »

This is a great thread!!
I have some major redecorating to do aroun here!
I'm pleased with the living room and my son's room/nursery.
My next project is my dd's room...however it needs tobe painted first...and I've had the paint since Aug. and hubby still hasn't gotten around to it! I'm going to just set a date and start it myself. Of course when I do that, he'll say I'm doing it wrong and take over  Wink
I have alot of stuff collected/accumulated for her room. Its going to be a crazy/pink/girly/cupcake themed room. (Her nickname in utero and when she was a baby was Cupcake)

The bathroom I just want to paint green to match the new to us shower curtain a friend gave us.
The "master bedroom" just needs paint and  few wall decorations.
The kitchen needs painted BADLY...it has UGLY plaid blue wall paper on one wall, and a HORRENDOUS 80s watercolor looking flower and fruit border everywhere else! I collect delftware so that is the theme for the kitchen. I want to pain it a nice rich blue and have some delftware featured photographs to print, frame and hang.

:-)

Also trying to light a fire under hubby's butt about bookshelves as we are in serious shortage. There are 2 biggish ones inthe living room I'd like replaced with one massive one or custom shelves (he's a carpenter so yea if he's motivated to do it, he has the skill!)
and then there is one med. one in dd's room, but it has overflowed to 3 cardboard boxes and one wood crate turned on it's side.
So book storage is a real issue to address...and soon! esp. since the lady who's house dh is working on right now keeps sending home BOXES and BOXES of kids books and adult books.

Also need to address a craft/school area, probably in the basement..just need to get a heater down there to get started as its freezing here in MI!!
WHEW! Need to get going!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010 10:56:05 PM »

Here are my (long awaited promised) pics!

Bathroom Before

And here is my "Desperate Dan" inspired After!

I made the cactus with fabric and pins!

Close-up of toilet seat cover:

Some wall art:

And the best is that my fiance totally LOVES it!!! Grin

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010 11:02:22 PM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010 11:10:26 PM »

This craftalong will be just the kick in the pants that I need! I want to decorate my kids' room.  Right now it's pretty bare and boring. Here are some pictures I took earlier in the fall.  The only change is that we've moved the bird to the living room, so that space is even more empty!

I have some wall hangings planned and some shelves to paint and hang.  Any ideas or tip you have would be appreciated! :-)  I'm going for a tree theme since that'll be good for both boys and girls.

I think some window dressing would be nice! You could hang an over-extended rod above the window and hang some green curtains. Because the rod is longer than the window, the curtains will hang next to the window. That should create the illusion that the window is bigger than it actually is.

A rug will also break up the solid floor colour and could double up as a play mat. Maybe even add some bean bags. Bedding printed with colorful birds could add some color and interest. Some wall art would be nice too! Perhaps even a large mirror?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ariethine
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010 12:34:26 AM »

I think I want to join you guys... but I would only be using my closet. I hope that will be okay. Maybe I'll add my desk too. That's the only personal space I have. I have to share a room with my mom, and I sleep in a room with a bunk bed that is two full beds and a twin sized trundle underneath. My brother sleeps on the top bunk, I sleep with my 6 year old brother, and my bf sleeps on the twin trundle. So my desk and closet is the extent of how far my space goes. :/ I have to organize before I decorate... >> I guess I'll post a couple of "before" pictures within a couple of days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010 02:01:04 AM »

I think some window dressing would be nice! You could hang an over-extended rod above the window and hang some green curtains. Because the rod is longer than the window, the curtains will hang next to the window. That should create the illusion that the window is bigger than it actually is.

A rug will also break up the solid floor colour and could double up as a play mat. Maybe even add some bean bags. Bedding printed with colorful birds could add some color and interest. Some wall art would be nice too! Perhaps even a large mirror?

Thanks! These are great suggstions....especially the extended curtain rod.  I wouldn't have thought of that on my own.  I saw a rug I liked at Target...I should probably get it while it's still there.  I did get a lamp, a plant, and some art hangers (just clipboards to hang on the wall so I can change out the kid's artwork from time to time).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
SarahJSaturday
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010 03:10:23 PM »

I'd love to join you guys! Currently I hate my apartment. I live in a slum, but I'm stuck here until we can afford better so I've been trying to make it look nice on the inside so I don't go insane.

Right now I'm focusing on my living room/dining room. I have a color palette and design theme. I want to do something kinda lounge-y, artsy. Like Frank Sinatra and a Beatnik would both think I have a rad apartment.

To-Do List
-Replace two large lumpy sofa pillows with large throw pillows. Sorta like this style, but different colors

-paint shelf black with some sort of design on the sides
-do lots of art for the place, including a painting of "The Midnight Lounge", which is the central theme of my design
-find a cheap frame for the print of Starry Night I have, hopefully from a thrift store
-Get a lamp or light that looks cool, and will give off soft light for lounging.
-Get a rug for the living room. Hopefully zebra! (I'm OBSESSED with Zebra. It's almost sad how much Zebra I have in my wardrobe.)
-possibly create some sort of non-traditional chandelier
-Get rid of the old coffee table, and move it's stuff into the ottoman.
-Slip cover the couch?
-hang up the cork board I painted
-Someday get a retro blue neon sign

I have some photo to post of what I've done so far, I'll post those later.

UPDATE: Before and in-progress photos
BEFORE (scary, messy)

In-progress

Still Messy, but the floor plan is way better. It's hard to tell because my place is still looking kinda cruddy/messy, but the new layout makes the space seem bigger, yet less empty. If that makes sense.

If you guys have any ideas, let me know.

There is a a weird angled wall behind the TV I'm not sure what do with. Maybe leave it free of art, since they'd be on a weird angle and we'd be looking at the TV any how. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010 04:19:37 PM by SarahJSaturday - Reason: photos! =D » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly known as rubidiumdawn, I changed my username.
The Crafteteria- Home Baked crafts!
Bike Swap! Let's make this happen!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Book Summery of Huckleberry Finn
Book Summery of Tom Sawyer
XOXO Confessions: Lisa Renee Jones
Woman on the Street: Alice Clayton
XOXO Confessions: Emma Chase
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...