A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 87
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book-lovers Swap~FINISHED!~ SENDOUTS 10/20/08)  (Read 38831 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kleinsch
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2008 01:11:53 PM »

Kant is tough to read, period!  Good on you, morglanc, for trying!  I think most people would simply give up and deem him useless/not necessary. 

As for reading for understanding as opposed to reading as simply decoding the words, yup, most school districts are happy to have kids just reading "at grade level," but  not necessarily able to understand deeply.  I have taught in poor, underfunded urban public schools and at rich private schools for gifted children, and there is a world of difference in thinking about how to teach reading between the two.  The urban schools were desperate to just get kids to read in English, while at the private schools the students were learning that reading is about thinking. Or, like a_bongiovi is saying, teachers rely on secondary commentaries--notes in the margins, rather than teaching the skills necessary for students to read the literature deeply themselves.

Now that I am much older and wiser, I've come to realize that reading the classics is hard, but worth it, because you when you work at, you're interacting with incredible authors and not someone else's predigested analysis.  And I do think that the fiction work of the classics does have gripping characters that I associate with, not to mention the non-fiction (history, politics, philosophy) is still valid and valuable.

Mortimer Adler's book suggests that you learn to think better when you read great literature, and that democracy demands citizens that know how to think well.  Thinking about reading that way makes me put away my delicious TRNs (trashy romance novels!) and reach for something meatier.  Sometimes.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
tigrisgalaxy

"It's on the internet...no stopping it now."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2008 04:38:45 PM »

I don't see the enjoyment of plowing through a difficult book. Why read it then? I did well in reading and comprehension and English, because I like to read, but I've learned so much from books that are not classics too. Though I would recommend one book called My Forbidden Face. It's a biography and it is eye opening. I still think reading should purely be for enjoyment. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear You,
      If I stepped into your shoes for 1 day, would the grass really be greener on the other side? What would I see through your eyes for 1 day? Send entry to: dearyou4mee@gmail.com. Sign with first name, city and state/country.
Me
ashestoashes

you'd better not mess with major tom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2008 04:48:10 PM »

I agree with antarcticlust's point about thinking of a book in it's original context while reading it. A lot of things things by dead (white, black, old) guys can be seen differently if you think of their original audience. There are a lot of "classics" I've never read, simply because my school didn't teach them, or because I was so finely focused on certain topics as an English major I never read them. I'm trying to remedy that lately, for example I have Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights here to read soon. I feel guilty for not having read them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists

I dig personal swaps.
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2008 06:38:06 PM »

Great comments, kleinsch! I hope you're available to join the swap. Smiley

I just heard an interesting interview on NPR about book-to-film adaptations. It was a best-of, worst-of piece. Some of my personal favorite adaptations are (in no order):

Sense & Sensibility
Fight Club (much better than the book in my opinion!)
The Cider House Rules
Wonder Boys
No Country For Old Men
I Capture the Castle
To Kill a Mockingbird
Interview With a Vampire

I'm really, really excited about The Road, which comes out this fall. I think it's going to be phenomenal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
buckeyebeadgirl

Luckiest girl in the world :)

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2008 07:02:15 PM »

One of my favorite book-to-film adaptations is "The Godfather"...probably because it's the most true to the book.  I would hope it would be though, since Mario Puzo wrote both the book and the screenplay! I have major issues when the films don't match a book that I love...it always seems that my favorite part of the book doesn't end up in the movie! 

I can't believe I forgot about all of Mario Puzo's book...yes, it's mafia gangster at its best, but it's so well written! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOLY CRAP!  My DNA bracelet was selected for Best of Craftster 2008!!  And it took me 21 days to figure it out!
BloodyDeaf

Never trust bananas

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2008 04:10:36 AM »

My favorite book to film adaptation are french. I use to hate french movies but when I saw Ensemble c'est tout after reading the book, I was pretty amazed! Not everything is in the movie but still they found a way to catch the essence of it and you don't feel there's something missing. Another good one is Odette Toulemonde by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt. But it doesn't count since he wrote the book while making the movie.. Roll Eyes

As for the worst adaptation, I think the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy really doesn't match the book...but it still is one of the best movie ever lol. I went through half of the book (but the library took it back from me  Cry ) and past the first part of it, there's absolutely nothing resembling the movie...almost every thing in the movie is coming out of nowhere but we like it hehe. It's a bad adaptation but when you liked the book or the movie, it's just nice to get knew stuff from that wonderful author.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2008 04:53:25 AM »

I haven't read OR seen The Godfather! I really, really need to fix that. I suppose I should read the book before I watch the movie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
Ariannrhod
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2008 06:36:21 AM »

I personally think the worst book to movie adaptation would have to be Eragon, it was like they picked up the book flipped through it and went cool lets use these characters to make a movie. I can't believe Paolini let them get away with that! I mean I kind of understand when they take a book and make it into a bad movie After the author is dead, because then they just buy the rights and don't get any feedback at all but there was no excuse for Eragon. The only good thing out of it is that it was such a flop they won't be tempted to adapt the rest of the Trilogy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigrisgalaxy

"It's on the internet...no stopping it now."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2008 06:49:49 AM »

Some of my favorite movie adaptions are Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility by the BBC, not the one with Kate Winslet in it, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, both of them, and some others, which I have forgotten the names of  Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear You,
      If I stepped into your shoes for 1 day, would the grass really be greener on the other side? What would I see through your eyes for 1 day? Send entry to: dearyou4mee@gmail.com. Sign with first name, city and state/country.
Me
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2008 08:48:40 AM »

I'm really tempted to sign up! I really want to! I think this is a fabulous idea. I love to read. I'm definitely a book freak! XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 87 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Cloth Simulation - Houdini
How to Use Final Cut Pro Part 3/4
How to Create an Earth Scene Part 1/2 - Motion 3
How to Create an Earth Scene Part 2/2 - Motion 3
How to Model - Houdini Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...