A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I ordered the Klutz crochetting book!!  (Read 520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gin_shampoo
« on: August 08, 2008 05:24:33 PM »

Hehe, so I finally ordered it Monday, I can't wait to get it! They always succeeded in teaching me things when I was 5, so why not now! I've never tried, but am ever so dedicated to becoming an accomplished crocheter =P I'm so excited ^_^ Any good tips for crocheters new to the game?

It's arrived!! I can't wait to post my first project  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008 04:47:40 PM by gin_shampoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuperSow

the Vivian Girls roll themselves in floor rugs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008 06:07:40 PM »

yay!  I love it when people decide to learn new crafts, instead of admiring projects on craftster and responding with "That's so cool!  I wish I could crochet!"  They COULD crochet, if they tried.  grr.

Yes... sorry, on with the tips Wink

-start out with normal yarn and choose a colour that will make it easy to see your stitches.  For instance, don't start with black because black is really dark, which makes it hard to see the shadows.  lighter colours are better for learning with, in my opinion. 
-try not to crochet tightly. 
-And don't give up if it's really hard in the beginning!  The first row is always the hardest because you have to work into the chain.  It's way easier when you have a big piece of fabric to hold onto while you work. 
-If you have any trouble understanding the instructions, there are TONS of websites with pictures.  Youtube has a lot of crochet videos too. 

good luck! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Il y a un monstre dans le lac, et il s'appelle Jean-Claude.
Mon ami le monstre sort du lac quand l'eau est trop chaude.
Le monstre vient au Lac du Bois pour jouer de la guitare.
Il aime bien manger les villageois et les monos bizarres. RAAAARAH!
gin_shampoo
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008 02:56:48 AM »

yay!  I love it when people decide to learn new crafts, instead of admiring projects on craftster and responding with "That's so cool!  I wish I could crochet!"  They COULD crochet, if they tried.  grr.

Hehe, oh yeah, I've been doing that long enough Wink

-start out with normal yarn and choose a colour that will make it easy to see your stitches.  For instance, don't start with black because black is really dark, which makes it hard to see the shadows.  lighter colours are better for learning with, in my opinion.

Perfect, my sister gave me a couple yarn bundles that are cheap and natural/tan coloured, perfect for a beginner =P Plus, I'm sure the yarn the Klutz book comes with is good for beginners Wink

-try not to crochet tightly. 
-And don't give up if it's really hard in the beginning!  The first row is always the hardest because you have to work into the chain.  It's way easier when you have a big piece of fabric to hold onto while you work. 
-If you have any trouble understanding the instructions, there are TONS of websites with pictures.  Youtube has a lot of crochet videos too.

good luck! Kiss

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_constant_crafter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008 07:30:38 AM »

It took me YEARS of practice and LOTS of unraveling before I learned to crochet. I have learned more from craft books aimed at younger crafters than I ever have from "adult" books! I think the Klutz book will really help. Don't get frustrated (too badly!!) if your projects don't turn out like the pictures (mine STILL don't...and I have been crocheting a dozen years!). Learn the basics, then design your OWN things, which will come out perfectly every time...as YOU are the designer!! Good luck...and stock up on those "younger" craft books!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gin_shampoo
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008 01:38:20 AM »

It took me YEARS of practice and LOTS of unraveling before I learned to crochet. I have learned more from craft books aimed at younger crafters than I ever have from "adult" books! I think the Klutz book will really help. Don't get frustrated (too badly!!) if your projects don't turn out like the pictures (mine STILL don't...and I have been crocheting a dozen years!). Learn the basics, then design your OWN things, which will come out perfectly every time...as YOU are the designer!! Good luck...and stock up on those "younger" craft books!

Hehe, thanks! With how many people have told me how much crocheting s a total pain in the ass compared to knitting, I knew the Klutz book would be perfect-o ^_^

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dona Leonor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008 09:27:59 AM »

... They always succeeded in teaching me things when I was 5, so why not now! ...

I too taught myself with the same book ! I love Klutz books ! (Also learned hand embroidery and a little knitting with their books).
One thing I was skipping was the making of a turning chain (or two or three..etc..) when turning my work so my practice piece looked like if I was decreasing, but was brought to my attention and then I was always paying attention to do my turning chain(s).

I didn't even completed all the projects in it, after the soap bag I was ready to venture.
I also got a crochet DVD from Leissure Arts from JoAnn's with a coupon :-) .
Hope you found crocheting fun !!!  And as the previous members told you... be positive about your learning experience and enjoy every bit of it !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RyuuDolly
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008 08:11:31 AM »

I think crocheting is a lot easier than knitting. You only have a hook to use. XD

You could always look at http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AcrophobicPixie
Resident Piximacated Person

Kneesocks of DOOOM! DOOOM, I say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008 04:11:05 PM »

The women in my family prefer crochet over knitting. Whenever I see my mom try to knit, it makes me crack up, since it's like watching someone use a type writer, back and forth, no turning.. *headdesks*

Good luck learning to crochet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't piss off Pixie's... they tend to be mean when they swarm!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Set Production Assistant Job Guide
How to Get a Production Assistant Job
What the Art Department on a Film Set Does
What the Locations Manager Does On Set
Camera Grip Gear - C-Stands Review
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...