A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
801 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled 3-Ring Binder into Binder Cover/Tote with straps  (Read 6001 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« on: August 17, 2008 11:17:31 AM »

This craft starts with a story.  My 13 year old daughter's middle school is huge.  The kids have less than 5 minutes to get from class to class and they don't always have time to go to their lockers.  Many of them carry large binders so they can have multiple classes worth of work with them all the time.

Last year, we bought this binder for her, in an attempt to give her a place to keep all her things.  Within a few months, the rings in the binder blew out.   The handle is on the back of the rings, so the weight of the contents pulls down on them, causing them to fail.

So, time for a redesign.  How about a binder cover/bag that has the weight in the opposite direction and that can have the 3-ring binder changed when needed, without losing the rest?

I think this may be one of the coolest things I've made and I'm ridiculously pleased with the way it turned out!  It holds a 3" 3-ring binder, which cost about $6 at the office supply store.  Everything else was recycled or I had on hand.

Outside back - the binding was hand stitched on the outside.  There was just too much stuff going on inside to do it the opposite way.   Cool sparkly fabric was a gift from hardhatcat.

The other side, standing up - the strap is recycled from the old binder.  The strap clicks onto a large split ring.  The bits of ribbon were from a sheet of samples someone gave me.   The denim was cut on the bias so it has give.  Oh, and the denim was leftover from a project that a friend of mine did.  She gave me her leftovers!

inside - the accordion files, back mesh pocket & zipper are all recycled

The accordion file, recycled from the old binder.  It was a bit hard to stitch around, but I managed by moving my needle over to the far left.

All that's left of the original.  I used a razor blade to take it apart.  Razors are the friend of anyone that recons heavy duty materials, but they take a sure hand. 

More photos of the binder cover/tote here.

My daughter loves it, especially the "bag" aspect, freeing up her hands and making it'll be easier to carry her stuff.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008 11:18:43 AM by ofenjen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
tiltcreations
Mom Lady, Finder of lost toys and Ex-but-wanna-be-born-again Artist

voices in my head? yes, but they have good ideas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008 11:25:54 AM »

I love it! I have the same falling apart too soon problem with my son's binder...and the no time bewteen classes (he looked at me funny when I asked why he doesn't just go to his locker before class).I think my son would carry one as long as I "boyed it up".
Any chance of a tutorial? sorry...that was kina rude of me   Embarrassed
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 03:09:20 PM by tiltcreations - Reason: my rudeness » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008 11:37:55 AM »

I love it! I have the same falling apart too soon problem with my son's binder...and the no time bewteen classes (he looked at me funny when I asked why he doesn't just go to his locker before class).
Any chance of a tutorial? I think my son would carry one as long as I "boyed it up".

The recon was pretty easy, except the binding, which I just couldn't get to lay flat on the machine and ended updoing one side by hand.

The pattern would be an outline of the binder plus 1/2" around the perimeter for the outside and that same size cut 1" away on either side of the rings for the inside. I did draw that out on a piece of paper and then I figured the rest out as I went along, working in the recycled pieces.  Taking apart the original binder helped a lot and I put the binder cover together in the same order.

If I do another one, I promise to take photos and work up a tutorial.  I was so into this project, I didn't do "in-progress" pics like I normally would.

Boying it up (love that phrase, btw!) wouldn't be hard, just fabric choices really!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
oingoboingirl

VYVYAN! YOU UTTER BASTARD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008 11:38:49 AM »

TOO cool. if I had the supplies i would make this today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008 11:44:08 AM »

Wow - this is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rio_Supreme
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008 01:18:31 PM »

Wow, that is so cool!  Cool And handy, i would have killed to have something like that when i was at school. British schools tend not to have lockers so you have to haul EVERYTHING around with you. Such a pain in the ass!!  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Try again, fail again, fail better." Samuel Beckett
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008 07:42:48 PM »

That is absolutely fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008 07:57:42 PM »

TOO cool. if I had the supplies i would make this today.
Hey, well, I hope you come up with some supplies!

Wow - this is great!
Thank you!

Wow, that is so cool!  Cool And handy, i would have killed to have something like that when i was at school. British schools tend not to have lockers so you have to haul EVERYTHING around with you. Such a pain in the ass!!  Angry
Really?  And I thought it was bad that mine only gets to stop a couple of times a day!

That is absolutely fantastic!

Thank you!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maskedsiren
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008 07:10:36 AM »

Wow, that is so nice and clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008 08:26:46 AM »

Wow, that is so nice and clever!
Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jessica Lamb-Shapiro: What Are You Reading?
New Harry Potter Story: JK Rowling Working On Upcoming Play
Produce Buying Tips
Doris Kearns Goodwin on Roosevelt, Taft and the Progressive Era
Noah Fecks: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...