A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did you all learn?? So inspired!  (Read 422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kwchick
« on: August 17, 2008 08:18:24 AM »

Wow, everytime I look through Hottest New Topics, or Most Recent With Pics, I just cannot BELIEVE the amazing clothing that comes up that some say are "So simple" or "easy". Everything is so beautiful!!!
So, I'm inspired enough that I would like to maybe try some things, but lol, my dad finished my home ec. project for me years agoo b/c I was not too great at sewing . . that was like 9 years ago though
How did you all learn? From relatives and such? Anyone learn through classes? Maybe that's what I should try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't sell my stuff, but become a fan on Facebook!
Shylock_Designs
groooovy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008 10:31:51 AM »

I just want to chime in here and agree, you all are fabulous with the clothes you create!
I never use to check this section of the board but now I love to come see what you all have made.
Kudos!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008 12:48:49 PM »

I'm learning by doing.  I learned as a girl and then finally got my own machine and have been sewing clothes on and off for years, just very simple things.  I feel I have a lot to learn about fitting and design, so that's what I'm trying to concentrate on now.  I think sewing clothes is rather difficult though I do a lot of sewing professionally (I'm a specialty costume maker), mostly by hand.  My machine sewing skills leave a lot to be desired!  I'm inspired every day by what I see here.

So my advice is, just go ahead and get started!  Take a class or maybe buy a book, or just read and practice from tutorials here.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

biascut

jamais sans mes ciseaux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008 04:46:04 PM »

I taught myself a lot of stuff by reading books and trial and error, but most of what I learned was from spending summers costuming for summer stock theater.  It was like getting paid for going to school.  Very bad pay, in case you were wondering. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madamechanel.etsy.c om
flickr.com/photos/madame_chanel
myspace.com/cassellius
karicassellius.com
sf craftster
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008 05:26:36 PM »

when i was a kid, i learned through a class at the big fabric store in town. i'm a classroom-learner, so it was perfect for me. my mom also taught me a lot and i would learn by doing as well. if i wanted to be a ______ for halloween, i would get the pattern and fabric and my mom would help me if i needed it.

recently, i've taken lessons at a great place in san francisco called stitch lounge. it helped me a lot! if you're the type of person that works well in a structured environment, it's a really helpful way to learn. most sewing class places have machines, too, so you can figure out if it's really a hobby you want to pick up without spending a bunch of money on a machine.

i also definitely recommend just trying. start with patterns that say "easy." some people start without patterns, but i'm hopeless without everything being spelled out for me. if a friend has a machine, just bring some scrap fabric over and play around with his/her machine. there's a bunch of great books, my favorite is by the same people i took classes from. they're all about reconstructing clothing and starting with the basics:

http://www.amazon.com/Sew-Subversive-Dirty-Fabulous-Fashionista/dp/1561588091

hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008 05:56:11 PM »

I learned mostly from books and patterns.  My mom sews, but I never really picked it up when I was living at home.  I did the basic home ec stuff, but stuck to jewelry, polymer clay, and whatnot as my hobbies.  I finally picked up sewing a couple of years ago in my early 20's when I decided to sew my own wedding dress.   Wink  Yes, I might be a little bit nuts, but it actually worked out pretty well.

I started by checking out a couple of basic sewing books from my local library, getting to know my machine by stitching on cheap poly/cotton fabric remnants, and starting with a simple pattern.  A drawstring or elastic waist skirt is a good choice, but any of those patterns marked "Learn to Sew," "Fast and Easy," "Easy 1 hour," etc, are usually good choices (keeping in mind that a "1 hour" garment might take a lot more than that!).  Just look for something with only a few pieces and mostly straight seams.  I would start on a pattern designed for woven fabrics, not knits because knits are a little tricky.  For wovens, stick to fabrics that aren't shiny or slippery.  The quilting section has a lot of cottons that are great for starting out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Acara
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 04:22:37 PM »

I learned all by myself.
It all started with my first sewing machine, almost 1 year ago. Learnt how it worked with the manual, then I looked on Internet for tutorials.

Went to buy Fabric, zippers, thread, and small project like Pencil cases, tote bags and such to learn all the basics.
When I was comfortable enough, I bought a pattern and tried it out. (That was 2-3 weeks ago! Cheesy I haven't be sewing very much the first 4 months, thought.)

Everything went fine (But I learned that very leightweigthed fabric is a PAIN to cut!!) and I'm now moving into more serious clothing projects!

No classes, no books, only self-experimenting and tutorials/pattern.
But it was long. But I don't regret it at all! ♥
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 04:25:00 PM by Acara » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Coquelicot~
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008 11:51:37 AM »

When I was really young, my mom helped me handsew things for my stuffed animals. She also sewed costumes for me occasionally and I learned a little about machine sewing then. (That machine broke all the time and wasn't too fun to learn on!) I aquired the greatest portion of my skill recently when I bought a sewing machine. I've been using it over a year and I just started out slow, making simple things out of scraps. I've progressed onto owning a serger and making more compliated things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Picks For Hair Masks
4 Tips For Beautiful Hair
5 Luxurious Eco-Friendly Beauty Products
How to Wear Lipstick Pencils
How to Make Your Makeup Last
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...