A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with terrible hip-huggers...Hmm...  (Read 1231 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FaeJoe

You are so cheesing me off right now!

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2005 06:55:37 PM »

I just bought a pair of terribly tight, uncomfortable hip hugger jeans. And there to short to. I dont want to just get rid of thembecause they have the potential to be awesome. 1 problem,i dont know what to do with them.I know everyone has posted aboutthe traditional jean to skirt things but thats my last resort. What should I do???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Random Much...
sheriffkarli
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005 06:59:04 PM »

you could cut up the side seams, whip in some eyelets, and make them lace ups. As for them being too short, you could let the hem out, or add some trim to the bottoms, i've had to do that a few times before. I really hope you find something that appeals to you, and once you do, i'd love to see a pic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
FaeJoe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005 07:04:39 PM »

Thanks muchly. I love eyelets!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Random Much...
sheriffkarli
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005 07:12:56 PM »

whoa, quick reply!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
FaeJoe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005 07:59:36 PM »

yeah, not much else to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Random Much...
Pink Hula

Shala for a week

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005 01:12:42 AM »

I guess you could cut up the sides and add a different fabric and make them either 3/4 pants or shorts.

You could make a bag or purse from them.

ACTUALLY once i saw these kind of jeans/trackpants....hmmmm i think this calls for me to draw them and send a pic

This isn't a very good drawing, but i think you should be able to get the idea, it looks heaps better when they are done and you just cut out the outside seams i think then sew them onto the trackies

hope this helps.

Susan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shala shala shala
maryjeanne
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005 08:45:42 AM »

i had the same problem with a pair of my pants...
what i did was add side panels!

1.) Find out the width of your pants by measuring or looking at the label

2) measure your own waist/hips and subtract the measurement of the pants from your hips measurement.  divide that number by two then at 3/4" seam allowance.  this will be the width of your patchesat the top of the pants

3) turn your pants inside out

4) beginning at  the bottom cuff, cut up one side of the outer leg seam, including cutting through the waistband entirely, then go up the other side of the seam and dispose of that.  do it to both legs (be sure to cut off the metal grommets at the pockets to avoid breaking a needle_

5) decide how wide you want your patches to be in the leg.  add seam allowance (3/4") and that is the dimensions of your patches.  later you will trim the sidess so that is at the right width for the waist

6) start cutting out patches with the above dimensions, you can figure out how many patchies you will need ofr each leg by divding the length from the waist to cuff by the size of your patchies.

7) sew your patches together in a strip long enough to run the entire length of your pants

Cool take the dimensions from the top of your patchies in the waistband and mark this at the top of your panel of patchies.  from the bottom corners upward, trim off the excess

9) one one end, turn under about 1/2" and stitch, this end will be the bottom cuff for your  side panels

10) with right sides together, line up the edge of the panel with the edge of the pants and stitch all the way up but stop just before you get to the waistband

11)again starting at the cuff, stitch up the other side of the patch panel, but stop before the waistband

12) fold over the top of the patchy panel until it lines up with the top of the waistband and stitch across, then finish stitching up the sides of the panel and reinforce by sititvhing back and forth in reverse at the top of these seams.

repeat 9-12 for the other leg....

13) try on your new patchy sidepanels and dance around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build a Cool Sand Castle
AK-47 Art Show in London
Master Sand Sculptor the Amazing Walter
Baseball Hall of Fame Sculptor Mindy Ellis
Watch SamSam Bubbleman Create His Unique Bubble Sculptures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...