A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Border Suggestions Needed  (Read 633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2008 10:49:01 PM »

I've almost finished a sunflower quilt...
I have a pile of yellows and greens for that quilt...

I saw this Mystery Quilt-along ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=232977.0 )and thought, "good opportunity to use up some of that yellow and green stash". I added some pinks and and fussy cut fabric...

The design had a layout that just didn't seem right with the finished blocks, so I basically reversed the blocks. The SacTown Variation.

If it had not been a Mystery Quilt-along I would have had a vision for it. The design calls for a thin dark (green), a wide medium (yellow) and a dark binding. I'm not at all crazy about that look. So I'm not sure what to do next. I've had a few ideas but none of them seem to really stand out as the answer.

Here is my PhotoChopped version of what I have stitched up so far. I couldn't find a place to take a pic of it as is. Some of the blocks are not exactly as in the pic but the block placement is.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008 10:55:30 PM by sactownsue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008 12:37:20 AM »

Great fabric choices!  What about a medium stripe of one color, dark tealish green maybe with a thinner stripe of another color, maybe one of the pinks, on either side of it, then use a binding that looks good with your backing?  Does that make any sense?  I think  it would allow the quilt to flow nicely, keeping the focus on the blocks, but not make the edge of the quilt fade away or bleed out the pattern....I would use corners that matched the corners of the nine patch star. 

Then again, I don't trully quilt much, I just know what I like... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
Paulasews
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008 01:35:59 AM »

I think we might be discovering a phenomonen that is having birds on a quilt means you will get stuck when choosing a border! it's very pretty, I love the colours.

I think I would do a narrow yellow then a wide stripe of the print and maybe (I don't know how ridiculously fiddly this is as I have never done it but...) a scalloped or curved edge, because it is such a pretty quilt I think that would suit it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tryskal
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008 03:24:56 AM »

Why not stick to the pinks?  Do a combination of stripes.  Just finish with the dark pink.  To me that would be "finishing" the background colors.  Maybe use the light teal for the backing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Woman: hear me roar about crochet...cross-stitch...crafts...family!
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008 08:55:49 AM »

Thanks, guys!
I forgot to mention that the colors are pretty true, on my monitor anyway, except the blue-ish greens are a little too blue in the photos. And I didn't feel like trying to tweak them because I'm not very good at it, yet.

goldfishpollywog - A nine patch in the corner is one of the things I was thinking of.
As I told someone else... It's less about quilting and more about patterns, lights, darks, colors. So don't let lack of quilting experience stop you from formulating ideas. Art is art, regardless of the medium. Some things are tricky to produce in fabric or paint but there are a lot of similarities.

Paulasews - Birds a problem? Nah... I think it's more the boldness of the colors that is throwing me off. The scalloped/curved edge I hadn't thought about but I am now...

tryskal - That's been my primary thinking but... I thought I would get some 2nd, 3rd... I'm planning on using the light pink on the back for at least the 40" square in the center and something different in the border area. Pretty much depends on what I do with the border on this side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
tryskal
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008 02:57:32 AM »

I was going to suggest the light pink for the backing!  But, I thought everyone would think that it was an overdose of the pink.

I do like your layout.  Like goldfishpollywog I am not a quilter.  Although.....it is something that I would like to try.  Just can't seem to pull myself away from the crocheting.

I can't wait to see the finished quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Woman: hear me roar about crochet...cross-stitch...crafts...family!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wedding Photography Tips
Give Me Three Minutes -- I Will Improve Your Videos
Learn about White Balance
Learn about the Range of Available Lenses - part 2
How to use the Shutter Priority Mode or Tv Mode
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...