A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need to costume cast in clothing from Paris, 1904  (Read 895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MindWhore

Believe it or not, I do have a nose.

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2005 04:37:36 PM »

...What did I get myself into? I did not intend to work on Steve Martin's play Picasso at the Lapin Agile. I decided against it. Unfortunatly, I went soft as soon as Xela, my director, mentioned that the play was set in turn-of-the-century Paris.

So now I'm dressing a cast (only nine characters, luckily) and I have no idea where I'm going to get my patterns and rent costumes.

HELP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005 05:27:12 PM »

haha, I costumed that show in college. I didn't know what to do either. I did most of the girls in long, straight skirts and poofy white blouses and the guys just in pants, white shirts and vests. If you look at fashions from the period, there's a lot you can do with modern patterns, if you're making things. Schmenderman was the most fun--lots and lots of yellow plaid. What a great play!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
moefen
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005 08:22:08 PM »

Here's a link to a costume history site that covers that period:

http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/1900links.htm

It has lots of pictures for the times...

Yeah, as EmilyFlew said, frilly blouses, long skirts, big hats are the cheapest and easiest way to go.  Lots of lace, fairly subdued colours.  Men's clothing has changed very little, so you could get away with dark pants, shirts with starched collars, tailcoats or long frock coats if you can find them.

Where are you located, geographically?

M
THIS ROCKS   Logged
simply
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005 08:49:48 PM »

i have a pattern book for historical costumes, the kind of patterns you enlarge yourself.  if you want i can scan in some and email them to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005 07:35:01 AM »

Where are you located, geographically?

Southwestern Ohio, near Dayton.

i have a pattern book for historical costumes, the kind of patterns you enlarge yourself. if you want i can scan in some and email them to you.

That would be wonderful! Anything you see from that time period would help me so much.

*Also, I DO plan on making most of the costumes by hand... or buying pieces from costume shops. Our budget is pretty good, and they mainly asked me to do it because they know that I am obsessive. When I do costumes, I DO COSTUMES. It's crazy, I know, but for period pieces I just can't bring myself to use thrift store finds. I noticed that Buttericks has some good patterns... I may start there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audreyjane
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005 12:42:02 PM »

I don't know if this reply is too late for you since this thread's a bit old but I just finished making skirts for a play set in Ireland at about that time.  I used Butterick 3418 as the pattern but without all the trim shown on the pattern. 

They were pretty easy to do, even with some odd size alterations that needed to be made and they look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005 01:20:19 PM »

That's perfect! I hadn't noticed that pattern before. Does it go pretty quickly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
audreyjane
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005 09:41:19 AM »

If I hadn't had to keep ripping out seams because of stupid mistakes they would have gone quickly, yes.  Cutting them out took longer than anything I think since the sewing is mostly just long, straight seams. 

I should tell you too that even though you can't see it on the pattern envelope pictures, they are longer in the back to create a bit of a train.  I ended up cutting off that extra to prevent the skirts from getting stepped on while people are on stage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006 12:02:52 PM »

this is an old, old thread. i have no clue how i found it.

but anyway, how'd it go? do you have any pictures or anything?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006 05:47:32 PM »

Actually, yeah! I got nominated to attend the regional design competition at the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival, which was fantastic! I didn't win anything, but it was a great experience. I'll shrink down the pictures of my display board tonight or tomorrow and post them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Rangoli
How to Weave a Tapestry
How to Practice Ikebana
How to Make Pysanky
Pysanky Art Tools
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...