A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reconstruction Help?  (Read 867 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TornUpPlushie
Go! Go! Lolita-Chan!

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2008 06:00:17 PM »

First off, I wanted to get into the Gothic & Lolita fashion. Ever since I read about it and saw the clothing, I fell in love with it completely (Pfft, who wouldn't like this awesome fashion?).

Anyway, I went to this thrift shop a couple of days back and bought this dress:

Front

Back

(Btw, sorry for the crappy pictures, I suck at taking photo's xP)

I was thinking that with a little changing of things, it could become into a Sweet Lolita JSK or something.

Ok, that's great and all, but here's my problem. I have little to no sewing experience in making or reconstructing dresses (I've only made tiny pillows and toys, that's all the experience I have). I also have no creativity whatsoever so here's my question.

Can you great Seamstresses and Lolita's out there help me out and tell me what should I change and/or add to this dress in order to make it look 'Lolita'?

Thank you!

=^_^=
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TornUpPlushie
Go! Go! Lolita-Chan!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008 08:06:09 AM »

Eep! Also I forgot to add, if this post is in the wrong place, can anyone tell me where is the right forum so this post can be moved or deleted?

Thank you

^^;
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elucidation
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008 06:57:42 AM »

I think the cut on the back is really nice.. maybe you could add white lace.. kinda like this..
and some little buttons or something
and then poof it up with a petticoat (loads of tutorials on here which are relatively simple)

OK.
Well, I'm clearly not feeling very imaginative today xD
it'd be simple though.. I suppose you could use fabric glue?

*Waits around for the great seamstresses and lolitas*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008 07:13:31 AM »

I am neither a seamstress nor a lolita. But I like both. Grin

I like the above poster's ideas. I'd say, too, to make sure the skirt is full enough to accomodate a petticoat. If it's not, you might try ruching up the front/sides so the petticoat shows underneath. I'd show you how to do this is my photo program was behaving. Smiley I like ribbon ruching; it's adjustable and easy.

Otherwise, go with your strengths. Can you embroider, at all? Or make things from felt? I've seen some very very cute appliques on lolita clothing. I think BTSSB did a dress with cutlery and a cupcake appliqued on it. Loved it. Cheesy

There's a good J-Fashion community on Livejournal. I think it's called "J Fashion Crafts." PM me if you like and I'll dig up the address.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
TornUpPlushie
Go! Go! Lolita-Chan!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008 11:09:20 AM »

@ elucidation:

Oh! I love that idea! But on the back of the dress, where you drew the buttons there, there's a zipper (Yeah, you can barely see it, that's cause I left the flash on my camera >.<''). You think putting buttons in the front of the dress would look good too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buttermilk
All I wish is that my side of the story may be told. Kintpuash of the Modoc tribe, 1873

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008 03:44:35 PM »

Hi.  I spotted the reconstruction question.  I wondered if I might put my 2 cents in.

This I did on my photoshop to show the backside with corset insert.  You would probably need to place some darts in to snug the dress to your body.

This could be the frontside.  Notice that the bottom section of the dress is removed, making it short and sassy.  Again, you would have to dart it on the waistline, and the bust as well as the top.  You could use the lace from the bottom that you remove to enhance the top.

What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elucidation
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008 03:15:23 AM »

@ elucidation:

Oh! I love that idea! But on the back of the dress, where you drew the buttons there, there's a zipper (Yeah, you can barely see it, that's cause I left the flash on my camera >.<''). You think putting buttons in the front of the dress would look good too?

I think it would look equally as cute! (:
in fact, if you really wanted it to have the same cut as the back (or any cut for that matter) then you could just take a pair of scissors to it and then hem it..  Cool

I seem to be a bit of a fan of wearing dresses backwards for some reason.. In fact, I'm totally digging the back of Buttermilk's suggestion (but, again, I'd wear that as the front d:) what's wrong with me?!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buttermilk
All I wish is that my side of the story may be told. Kintpuash of the Modoc tribe, 1873

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008 06:43:30 PM »

Hey I actually thought of it as better to corset the front, but it's all a matter of what you have to work with and it appears the dress could have plenty fabric to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Fritters
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 3/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 2/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 1/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...