A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting over a glazed piece?  (Read 1297 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Purly McGarterpants
Stargazer

Crafting my way to a fully decorated house!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 15, 2008 05:56:25 PM »

Okay, so I have to create this trophy type thing for an event at my husband's job.  I found come kind of ceramic glazed trophy-looking pot at Michael's, and I bought some acrylic paint to paint on it, thinking I could sand it beforehand to make the paint stick, and then ModPodge over it.  However, as I discovered, glaze doesn't seem to sand very well.  I sanded like crazy, and it doesn't look like I even touched it.  If I just paint over the glaze with the acrylic paint and seal it with the mod podge, will the paint stick?  It's a trophy, so it's not like it will have daily use, but it will be handled occasionally, especially after this event.  Oh yeah, did I mention that the event is TOMORROW?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My yummy vegetarian recipes: http://itsvegetarian.blogspot.com

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Oscar Wilde
callire

I hate my medium.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008 09:44:50 AM »

Hm... I've never had to sand glaze before... I'm not too terribly surprised. Do you have any sort of power tools? Isn't there like a sander thing that might work?

You could try to paint a test patch, but I suspect that it will come off if you rub it. Modge Podge won't work on top of the paint on top of the glass, imo, because I think the glue will water-down the color of the paint.

-This has no scientific merit, I'm just guessing based off my experience with glaze-

OH! Okay, dunno if this would work, but I'd check out the spray-paint section, and see if you can find spray paint in your color. Something that is supposed to adhere to plastic might work, and I think you'd have better results with just spraying the thing than trying normal paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paintindiva
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008 04:46:07 PM »

Acrylic paint will eventually come off.  I would recommend using a glass paint pen.  The also come in a jar.  Peobo is a common brand you can find at Michaels or Joann's.   Once you have it painted you cook it in your regular oven for about 30 minutes.  You can do this right on top of the glazed piece.   I think that is your best option.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KeLLeY
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healing Hair Chore for Photoshop
How to Green Screen Extract Wispy Hair in Photoshop
Sketch Tutorial for Photoshop
How to Replace Color Command in Photoshop
Macho Makeover - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...