A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 303,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: it's never too early  (Read 1192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2005 04:31:21 PM »

Every year I wait until the last minute to worry about presents. Not this year though, I hope  Wink I was hoping my fellow crafters could help me. I'd like to make a cute, inexpensive present for a bunch of people, mainly women (aunts). Previous things I've made were angel ornaments, personalized ornaments, and name plaques. I want something different this year. Ohh.. I also LOVE to scrapbook. If we could tie that in, it would be great. Thanks, I appreciate your help.

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005 05:20:36 PM »

I made cross-stitched ornaments one year for a bunch of people. It was about 2 inches by 4 inches (if I'm remembering right). It said "Merry Christmas Name" on one side and "Noel" with a star on the other. It was pretty cheap to make, but then again, I already had thread and Aida cloth on hand. Thread is pretty cheap, especially if you keep the patttern simple and with only a few colours. Aida can be expensive, but if you look for sales it's not bad. Basically after I stitched both sides I sewed them together to make a pouch and stuffed it and attached a ribbon for hanging. It might be cool to put some popouri in there with batting or instead of it.
If you don't know how to cross-stitch, it's fairly easy to pick up.
Here are a few sites that give the basics
All the instructions say to start in the middle of the graph, but I tend to start at the side. It can be harder to center the pattern on the cloth that way, though.
Here are a bunch of free alphabets. http://www.freepatternsonline.com/xscharts/alphabets.htm
I hope this helps!
If you have any questions about cross-sttich or the ornament, feel free to PM me or something.

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005 05:47:02 PM »

How 'bout decorating tp rolls or another cardboard tube with wrapping paper & make "crackers". glue paper on tube leaving a good couple inches hanging off each end (to tie later with string or ribbon), cut tube in 1/2, on inside of tube-glue a piece of paper for ledge when putting tube back together, fill with goodies (small candy, embellishments for scrapbook pages, or maybe a coupon to a craft store).

and my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor shall be lifted-nevermore~Edgar Allen Poe
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005 08:42:11 AM »

Why not mini-scrapbooks? I have several that hang on my tree (I bought a kit a few years ago with page templates/cover templates and chipboard for the covers)...mine are about 3 1/2 inches square. You can personalize them with papers, and then choose a theme for each (or all)...put a ribbon hanger in the spine, and they can hang the scrapbook on their tree.

I gave an accordion-type book to my boyfriend's grandmother for xmas last year, and she really enjoyed it. This year I'm putting together a photo tree for her made of dowels, with a wooden block for each family member, pics on 4 sides, and painted (I think I'm gonna use those page pebbles over the photos). She's developing dementia, so photos are a good thing for her.

Good for you for thinking ahead...and good luck!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watercolor Painting: Preserving Whites
How to Paint Skies with Watercolors
Watercolor Painting Basics
Watercolor Painting: How to Paint Blacks
How to Paint Flowers with Watercolors
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...