A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 308,097
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: it's never too early  (Read 1354 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2005 04:31:21 PM »

Every year I wait until the last minute to worry about presents. Not this year though, I hope  Wink I was hoping my fellow crafters could help me. I'd like to make a cute, inexpensive present for a bunch of people, mainly women (aunts). Previous things I've made were angel ornaments, personalized ornaments, and name plaques. I want something different this year. Ohh.. I also LOVE to scrapbook. If we could tie that in, it would be great. Thanks, I appreciate your help.

CRAFT ON!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
EowynUlysses
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005 05:20:36 PM »

I made cross-stitched ornaments one year for a bunch of people. It was about 2 inches by 4 inches (if I'm remembering right). It said "Merry Christmas Name" on one side and "Noel" with a star on the other. It was pretty cheap to make, but then again, I already had thread and Aida cloth on hand. Thread is pretty cheap, especially if you keep the patttern simple and with only a few colours. Aida can be expensive, but if you look for sales it's not bad. Basically after I stitched both sides I sewed them together to make a pouch and stuffed it and attached a ribbon for hanging. It might be cool to put some popouri in there with batting or instead of it.
If you don't know how to cross-stitch, it's fairly easy to pick up.
Here are a few sites that give the basics
http://www.count-your-blessings.com/007begin.htm
http://www.craftdesigns4you.com/learntostitch.htm
All the instructions say to start in the middle of the graph, but I tend to start at the side. It can be harder to center the pattern on the cloth that way, though.
Here are a bunch of free alphabets. http://www.freepatternsonline.com/xscharts/alphabets.htm
I hope this helps!
If you have any questions about cross-sttich or the ornament, feel free to PM me or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
zengarden
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005 05:47:02 PM »

How 'bout decorating tp rolls or another cardboard tube with wrapping paper & make "crackers". glue paper on tube leaving a good couple inches hanging off each end (to tie later with string or ribbon), cut tube in 1/2, on inside of tube-glue a piece of paper for ledge when putting tube back together, fill with goodies (small candy, embellishments for scrapbook pages, or maybe a coupon to a craft store).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor shall be lifted-nevermore~Edgar Allen Poe
monstergirl
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005 08:42:11 AM »

Why not mini-scrapbooks? I have several that hang on my tree (I bought a kit a few years ago with page templates/cover templates and chipboard for the covers)...mine are about 3 1/2 inches square. You can personalize them with papers, and then choose a theme for each (or all)...put a ribbon hanger in the spine, and they can hang the scrapbook on their tree.

I gave an accordion-type book to my boyfriend's grandmother for xmas last year, and she really enjoyed it. This year I'm putting together a photo tree for her made of dowels, with a wooden block for each family member, pics on 4 sides, and painted (I think I'm gonna use those page pebbles over the photos). She's developing dementia, so photos are a good thing for her.

Good for you for thinking ahead...and good luck!
peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Coffee Filter Roses
Love You Like No Otter

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...