A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Outgrown Handmade Outfits  (Read 1032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

unjugetito
« on: August 15, 2008 05:43:55 PM »

Hi Just wanted to know what you guys do with your outgrown kiddies outfits? Do most of you hand them down or sell, recon etc... Just curious..
(Or is this just a thinly veiled attempt to get my hands on the luscious outfits I've seen posted and have no hope of recreating myself?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008 06:59:02 PM »

I asked this question on another (sewing) board and most of the responses were: hand me downs.

Personally, I tend to cut them up for different projects. Or they're so well-loved (read: stained) that they go the route of other ruined clothing -- rags.

QB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
indywriter
I am my grandma's girl

The reason why.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008 08:57:22 PM »

I tend to keep them for any future babywriter that I might have.  Plus, things my oldest has worn are passed to my little one.  And when I decide I'm all done with babies, I will probably hold those homemade goodies for grandkids.*

*Please note that I am a terribly sentimental person with genetically inherited packrat tendencies.  So far I have saved practically everything that my kids have ever worn (seriously).  It makes sense in the event of future babies, but since I can remember each outfit on my kids...  let's just say that I forsee a big fight when my dh tries to clean out the attic one day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indywriter 
http://www.haleycreations.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/indywriter

------------------<---<--<@
I know a little garden close
Set thick with Lily and red Rose
Where I would wander if I might
From dewy dawn to dewy night.

W. Morris
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008 07:27:36 AM »

I have one box in my younger daughters closet for the really special things I made, I'll bee keeping those indefinately. The run-around, got-the-fabric-on-the-sale-table-at-walmart ones went the way of everything else, usually Salvation Army, some went to a clothing drive at church.

Whether I made it or not doesn't usually affect why I keep an outgrown item, the occasion or maybe who bought it have more bearing on the sentimental value for me. My oldest daughters first Christmas dess was bought in the mall, by my grandfather. It was a huge deal in his poor health to get out of the house & go shopping but he wanted to get her something. It was also the very last time I saw him. That dress I will not part with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unjugetito
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008 08:56:14 PM »

Anything I make is such a big deal  that I just can't bear to part with it ( even if it turned out 2 sizes too small because I forgot to add seam allowance and ease...) SO I just keep it to admire my handiwork. Maybe when I have more complete projects under my belt I won't be so sentimental about it.

SOOOOooooooo....... Is there a polite way of asking people to give up their homemade goodies when they've been outgrown other than saying Gimme Gimme Gimme!!!
Would it be wierd to ask some of these craftster (whom I've never met) to be my kids godparents just so I can get some cool outfits for my kiddos?  Grin JK
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008 09:41:38 PM »

There's always swaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008 09:32:22 PM »

I have just had a request by a couple expecting a baby very soon for any handmade hand me downs I have.  They know I sew.  They do not want store bought hand me downs, just the one's I've made.  I feel a bit weird about this request.  I mean, if you want handmade clothes, why don't you make them yourself or buy them from one of the many fine sewers out there?  On the other hand, maybe I wouldn't mind giving the clothes to someone who would appreciate them.  Hmmmm....

As Penlowe suggested, I'm sure you could swap for outgrown handmade clothes.  Or maybe we all could start some sort of exhange system.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008 06:49:39 AM »

That would sit odd with me too. Make sure you have labels in them that have your business name.

My dad works with a guy who does venison sausage, nice old family recipie, very popular guy in his tiny town. One year the new owner of the gas station asked if he could get a whole lot of the sausage if he provided the meat, well sure, no problem. A month after delivery he stops at the gas station to see his sausage on sale for triple what he charged with the other guys label on it. He was outraged & started labeling all his stuff from then on. He's managed to keep his recipie secret.

I've had people claim my stuff was theirs, too. It's flattering and terribly annoying at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unjugetito
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008 07:58:41 AM »

I didn't mean to hit a nerve. I would never pass off anyone's clothing as my own ( no one would believe me anyway Grin) I love crochet and make lots of my munchkins clothes but I am still learning how to sew a straight line. I can't speak for anyone else but I love handmade clothes because of their uniqueness. Who doesn't love their grandma's cookies better than store bought! It  always feel special when someone takes time to make my kids clothing. Also kid styles are sooo grown up I miss seeing little girls look like little girls.
Thanks for letting me know about the swap board I hadn't ventured out there yet. I'm still too new to swap though Sad Why did I lurk for so long?Huh)
But if there is any interest in swapping crochet for sewing I'd be definetely more than willing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008 07:59:24 AM »

I've had people claim my stuff was theirs, too. It's flattering and terribly annoying at the same time.

Huh?? How the heck do they do that?? WHY do they do that?? How lame!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Pulling Off the Monochromatic Trend
How to Make Your Own Saint Laurent Inspired Chain Jeans
Best and Worst Dressed at 2014 BAFTA Awards
How to Fold Your T-Shirt Perfectly!
Date Night Lookbook
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...