A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jim Nabors album into scrap/photo album (image heavy!)  (Read 5024 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

goofball
« on: August 15, 2008 08:32:56 AM »

My husband can't pass up a garage sale, and therefore we have a pretty good collection of unplayable and worthless old albums. Cheesy  I decided it was time to include them in my collection of "stuff to make other stuff out of" and here's what I came up with:

It looks like the binding pinches in at the top in this pic, but that's just the weight of the signatures pulling it out of shape.  It's not actually crooked like that. Wink

Inside front cover - I opted to leave the record more or less as-is, aside from lopping off the edges and drilling holes in it. And gluing cloth tape around the sides (it was pretty sharp and I didn't want it to eventually saw through the binding stitches).

I couldn't get rid of dear old sweet Jim, so his face is preserved on the inside back cover. 

I've never bound a book like this before - is this kind of a gap between signatures normal for coptic stitch binding?  (I think that's what this is called, I learned how to do it on YouTube, lol) If it's not normal, what did I do wrong?  Everything was pretty darn snug.

The ribbon around the edge is some old (er, "vintage"!) bias tape out of a bunch of fabric stuff I inherited from my grandma.  Probably collectible to someone but my gran would much rather see me glue it to a cut up old record than sell it on ebay! It's called ATOM RED and I really love it.  The back cover is a cut out from the album's cardboard cover, stuck together with spray adhesive and covered on the back with some textured vellum.  There are ten 5-page signatures so a total of 100 pages.

I'm giving it as a gift to a friend (a month late birthday gift, whoops!) along with some basic supplies to make it easy to put pictures in it, etc.  The album title is "The Things I Love" and she has a baby so it works out really well.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CreativeChick8

www.soundwavejewelry.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008 08:54:25 AM »

Shocked

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!

I'm such an audiophile. (Music tech geek, look it up...  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come on.....you know geeks rock your world.....

myspace: www.myspace.com/creativechick8
flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/blackaudiophotography
etsy: www.soundwavejewelr y.etsy.com
captjaneway
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008 08:55:36 AM »

This is awesome! I love it so much! (and not just because it is Jim Nabors  Wink ) You did an amazing job! *This rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you want to spoil a grouch's day, smile Smiley

Joy may be the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy Smiley
Gente de Massinha
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008 08:59:29 AM »

WOWWWWW!!!!! Very, very very cool !!!!!!!!!
Your friend will love it  Cheesy
How did you cut the album and put the Little hole-protect (sorry, don't know the word), it look so straight. Did you sand it till the right shape?
Please excuse my bad english  Undecided
Pat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008 09:11:36 AM »

Wow! This is one of the most professional uses of a record i've seen!
I may have to try it out, if i ever find one that is too scratched to be playable ( I think i'd cry if i used one that was still good).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
goofball
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008 09:47:53 AM »

WOWWWWW!!!!! Very, very very cool !!!!!!!!!
Your friend will love it  Cheesy
How did you cut the album and put the Little hole-protect (sorry, don't know the word), it look so straight. Did you sand it till the right shape?
Please excuse my bad english  Undecided
Pat
Hi Pat,

I cut it with a box cutter, using a ruler as a guide.  I found out that I could cut about halfway through and then flip it over and bend it at the cut and it would break in a nice clean line.  Then I went back over the edge with a box cutter and cleaned up the corners a little bit and shaved off any parts that were a little uneven.  The rim of the album is thicker than the rest and my square went all the way out to that rim so I had to trim the corners because they curved with the line of the album a little bit when I snapped them.

The hole protectors are called grommets; I bought them at the craft store!  I made the holes for the grommets with a power drill and a bit that was a little bit bigger than the grommet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goofball
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008 09:49:49 AM »

Shocked

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!

I'm such an audiophile. (Music tech geek, look it up...  Wink )
Oh, I'm married to an audiophile...I know ALL TOO WELL what that word means.  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Not A Reindeer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008 11:32:03 AM »

This is a fantastic use for an old record. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JLMS
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008 01:38:59 PM »

This is amazingly creative. I hit "this rocks" because, well, it does!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KandyPop
Como Chingas, Kandy!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008 01:45:46 PM »

Shocked
This is soooo cool! I love it! What a thoughtful and RAD birthday gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Spiral Curls
How to Do Pin Curls
How to Perm Hair
How to Choose a Perm
How to Get Rid of a Green Tone in Blonde Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...