A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Laptop pajamas! PLUS TUTE. (REALLY image heavy. no really)  (Read 5220 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , laptop_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

curli

bringin' crafty back

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2008 06:48:46 PM »

So I got a new laptop for my first year at university (yay!) and since I'm going to be carrying it around with me I decided it needed some sort of protection. But laptop cases can be pricey, so I made my own! I wanted it to look kind of like an envelope, and I think it worked out that way:

if you want to make your own laptop pjs, this a heavily documented version of how to do it:

STEP 1: choose your fabrics! You need three kinds: a soft lining, a sturdy outside (upholstery fabrics work great) and foamy stuff (could be quilted, too. as long as it's puffy). These are the ones I chose.

STEP 2: Measure your computer. This means wrapping the measuring tape all around on one side, then the other. I got 19 1/2 inches by 27 1/4. add AT LEAST FOUR INCHES to those measures (my finals were 31 1/4 and 23 1/2), or the pajamas will be too small.*

*believe me, I know. My first attempt had cooler fabric but is much too small. I think I will donate it to my sisters cats as an impromtu cat bed. Sad

STEP 3: Cut out your fabric in a diamond type shape. You want to measure it so the length from opposite corners are the measures of your 'puter (in other words, don't have to measure the sides of the shape at all). It should look a little like this:

STEP 4: Make sure it fits nice and loose around your computer.

STEP 5: Cut out the rest of your fabric the same way.

STEP 6: Put your liner and your outside fabric right sides together, then stick your in-between fabric on top. Pin them together, then sew around the perimeter. Be sure to leave a gap! That way you can turn it right side out again.

STEP 7: Trim the edges (especially in the corners) and turn it right side out!

STEP 8: Make sure it fits again.

STEP 9: Fold the edges from your gap inside, then pin it shut.

STEP 10: Sew another seam around the perimeter, this time on the outside.

STEP 11: To create the quilted effect, make a couple straight, evenly spaced lines in your fabric with pins.

STEP 12: Sew along your pin lines!

STEP 13: Make more evenly spaced lines perpendicular to the ones you just sewed, again with pins.

STEP 14: Sew!

STEP 15: Fold one of the sides against itself so as to bring two corners into the center.

STEP 16: Hand-stitch along that line. Twice, if you're paranoid like me.

STEP 17: Do the same for the other side! AND YOU'RE DONE!

... So those are my envelope-style laptop pjs. Sorry for the length.

Leave comments! Criticism! Love! Anything!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

^_^
archerpren
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008 06:56:37 PM »

sooo cool. great idea and thanks for sharing how you made it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NyteRayn

Hi my name is Jess and I have a crafting problem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008 07:21:52 PM »

Oh thats so fantastic! I love the way you did it envelope-style instead of a normal-bag opening!!! It looks great!

And I love that you call them PJ's!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Findings, links, tutes, fabrics, news, photos and all other sorts of crafty-type stuff! http://elementalcraft.blogspot.com/
pino_i
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008 07:29:14 PM »

You did a great job on this project. I think it turned out beautiful. And your tut was very well explained. thank you Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
La Maestra
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008 07:32:18 PM »

I like how padded it seems - does the front flap tuck in - or how does the computer not slide out? Is it designed to be inside another bag that you carry around?  I like that it looks different than the typical computer bag.  Nice work - and, when it comes to computers, never such a thing as too paranoid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nutfish1
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008 08:50:35 PM »

Awesome!  I'm just gathering ideas now to make me and a co-worker laptop envelopes and then poof!  Here's your tutorial!  It looks awesome and I love the 'pj's' name!  Great idea about using a tougher outer fabric - I never would have thought of that, and thanks for the details on the quilting.
Does it close with velcro or button or Huh

Thanks for taking the time to make the tutorial for me  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
curli

bringin' crafty back

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008 09:46:42 AM »

thanks for the comments everyone!

And also, thanks for letting me know that I forgot the last step.  Wink To make it close I just put some sticky-back velcro on the point of the flap and the center, where it overlaps. You could also put a button with an elastic to keep it closed, or a zipper if you want to get really fancy (just make sure it won't scratch your 'puter when you zip it closed!).

I think that about covers it. Let me know if you have any more questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^_^
lil_lisa
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008 07:12:47 AM »

That is amazing!!
Thanks so much for sharing how you made it. I think I might try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Lisa

My Etsy
Artkitty13
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011 08:38:37 AM »

You know, that would look really cute with a little frog on it as a closure.  That would also continue with the origami-esque nature of the case.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Custom Faceplate for Your Xbox 360
How to Make a Pink Eraser Casing for a USB Drive
How to Double Crochet
How to Decorate Your iPod
How to Half Double Crochet
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...