A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty shops in Brighton  (Read 2395 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 14, 2008 07:25:28 AM »

I will be visiting Brighton next weekend. I'll be staying in Hove.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some interesting craft shops especially bead shops and wool shops. I am trying to get knitting again.

Might go to Winchester too.

TIA.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftygoddess
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008 08:35:26 AM »

you should definitely check out the Brighton Bead Shop which is in the North Laines - i cant remember the exact name of the road but it is the bottom road closest to the station. There are some other good fabric shops in the lane - Ditto, and an amazingly crowded one run by an Indian lady. My advice is generally just to head to the North Laine area! Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizi
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008 01:02:23 PM »

The Brighton Bead Shop is on Sydney Street. There's also a nice fabric shop on Church Street (right at the top, away from the other shops), it's pretty expensive but has some really nice fabrics.

I live in Brighton, it's awesome.

xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009 01:35:35 PM »

Thirded for The Brighten Bead Shop (and yes, it's on Sydney Street as opposed to the Laines). It was the first bead shop I ever saw, it's what got me into beading and all crafting, I spend a ton in there every time I'm in Brighton, the staff are lovely and their website is still myt main supplier. Love love love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
LiliDesign
Little Miss Magpie

www.lilidesigns.co.uk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009 03:59:12 AM »

I moved here in October and still manage to get lost in the lanes!!  There are lots of little fabric shops, once I went in one where you couldn't even move because there were so many rolls of material and boxes trimmings!  There's also a craft store on the main high street...I think it's called C&H.  They have loads of bits and pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The website's up and running, and the shop will be ready soon ~ www.lilidesigns.co. uk ~ Unique Handmade Jewellery Designs
texstylee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009 02:02:17 PM »

Is that the little indian one? theres soooo much in there!!! fabric land is where i usually go Smiley woohoo brighton
THIS ROCKS   Logged
W.A.V.E
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009 03:18:44 AM »

Hi! I'm going to Brighton soon myself and I'm really looking forward to visiting Cardigan the handmade, boutique shop. I don't expect to be able to afford to buy much there but love mooching around for inspiration! The website is http://www.cardigan.ltd.uk and there's a map to it here: http://www.cardigan.ltd.uk/shops.php?s1=4
It's owned by Kate Jenkins who's crochet work is fantastic!

Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Jo from WAVE - Worcester Arts & Vintage Events - a group of independent, vintage retailers, crafters and arts organisers.
lightisfading
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009 09:29:46 AM »

The Bead Shop - Sydney Street - hundreds of beads all sold individually so you can get exactly what you want.

Snoopers Paradise - Kensington Gardens - not strictly a craft shop but a flea market, basically with hundreds of cabinets/sections which are rented to different people - antiques, retro, vintage, plain old second hand... you have to visit it to see really but you can get some fab stuff in there for crafting (I'm kicking myself for not getting the 6 vintage brass coffee/spice grinder I saw there last time Sad )... old beads, material, knick-knacks!

Pen to Paper - Really nice little shop that sells paper stuff, along from the Bead Shop (I think it's the same road, if not it's very local on the same stretch of shops) - it sells handmade papers, inks, journals, and all sorts of related stuff.

The indian-lady-run one is called Fabric Fair and is on Gardner St.

Clarks Stationers - your average art + craft shop really but that's where to head if you need pencils, paints, paper etc.

Clock Tower Cameras - amazing little 2nd hand (and possibly new?) camera shop on the corner of Queen's Road (main road from train station) and Church St.

This lot are all within the same 'North Laines' area, close to each other, apart from Clock Tower Cameras which is just up the road.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009 04:59:19 PM »

I went last summer but am thinking of going again in the autumn so it's great the suggestions are still coming:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

uluru
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011 03:37:01 PM »

I've just moved in to the area. I've found the Bead Shop (fantastic) but will check out the rest mentioned in this thread.
Does anyone know of any craft groups in the area? I'd love to join one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chinese Beef and Tomatoes
At Home with our Chinese Chef Lena Fung
What is Ghee
Fresh Thai Spring Rolls Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Pork Ball Soup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...