A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Green corduroy Dress  (Read 996 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008 03:24:21 AM »

So I had this small but gorgeous lump of corduroy. what to do with it?! it wasn't big enough for pants, and certainly not enough to make myself something, and I'm soooo not into quilting...
I sat with a pencil and some paper on friday night and I drew my idea of a pretty dress. I then took some newspaper and started cutting until it looked about right as a standard pinnafore. then I tarted cutting it up to add touches like the white fabric inserts and the separate skirt. once the paper looked good, I started on the fabric.
It's been difficult 'os I've modified it here and there, but on the whole I like it. it sill needs a hook and eye clasp at the top of the zipper.

soph's pleased.

front

back

one the dress was partially made it seemed too plain. not nearly frilly enough. Having at my disposal a large chunk of very wide lace, and a small lot of hand-made Nottingham lace I decided to lace it up a bit. mmmm frills.
I folded 1/3 of the horizontal length of the wide lace over so it made a double frill. I sewed this onto the back of the bias-bound hem. over the top of the hem I sewed the hand made lace. I've done it in such a way that should I choose not to sell the dress when soph's outgrown it, I can remove the hand made lace and reuse it lol!!!

the top layer of lace lifted to reveal my home-made bias binding (I'm so fricking pleased with that!!)

the zipper was fitted by hand as I couldn't find my zipperfoot for the machine.

see? happy two year old.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008 05:06:32 AM »

That's adorable!  I'm so impressed that you were able to just sit down and draw up a pattern!!  Too cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008 09:30:57 AM »

My monkey is sitting here asking me if we have something like that cuz she wants one now.  Very pretty, very princess.  Are you going to take your modifications and make a second one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008 09:51:08 AM »

My monkey is sitting here asking me if we have something like that cuz she wants one now.  Very pretty, very princess.  Are you going to take your modifications and make a second one?

yes I am. I think I'll have to really, she's so taken with it and this one wont really fit her for long. there's plenty more upholstry fabric for my little Von Trapp child lol!!!

If it's the detail monkey likes, it's a simple pinnafore dress (you know how I love those Wink ) which was then slashed and had small strips of fabric inserted. it was also cut at the top of the hips to separate the skirt from the top piece. then triangles were added of the contrasting fabric. I know there  must be a proper term for that but I'm stumped if I know it lol!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008 11:51:43 AM »

If it's the detail monkey likes, it's a simple pinnafore dress (you know how I love those Wink ) which was then slashed and had small strips of fabric inserted. it was also cut at the top of the hips to separate the skirt from the top piece. then triangles were added of the contrasting fabric. I know there  must be a proper term for that but I'm stumped if I know it lol!!!

gores  Wink

cute model you have there  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
Gumption

"Sing an outlaw love song." -Social Distortion

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008 03:38:39 PM »

I LOVE corduroy, and I think you did a fantastic job!  Lace is always a nice, pretty detail.  It looks great on your little girl, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shadowsforsale

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008 04:31:04 PM »

This is too cute! I almost wanted a little girl of my own when I saw it.. then I remembered, one of my co-workers just had a baby girl I get to spoil!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For a dreamer night's the only time of day
http://dragcave.net/image/oUlr.gif
lilstar765

Sewing since Spring of 2009! Still learning :)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008 04:58:33 PM »

oh thats so cute! she looks like she really loves it! very creative project Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Keep Buttons on
How to Use Leftover Wrapping Paper Scraps
How to Thread a Needle More Easily
How to Prevent Sewing a Button on Too Tightly
How to Prevent a Ball of Yarn from Getting Tangled
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...