A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: **Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes from Ticketmaster this month!  Enter now through MAY 20.  Good luck, Craftsters!!
Total Members: 309,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mermaid Costume Tail/Skirt Assistance  (Read 7912 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thepaintinglibra
« on: August 13, 2008 10:54:56 AM »

I have always loved Mermaids ever since I was little and finally I am making myself a mermaid costume for this upcoming Halloween. Due to my endless love of mermaid and my drive for perfection....I want this to be the holy grail of mermaid costumes which could lead to the death of me! LOL

I went to several JoAnn Fabric Stores (The only fabric stores in Arizona) and I couldn't find any type of "mermaid" fabric. I wanted something stretchy, glittery, shiny that would hug my curves and allow me to sit and walk. I have seen so many examples of mermaid fabric and I cannot find ANTYING! The swimming/dance fabric was almost $10-14 a yard and way to expensive for my budget.

So last night I finally settled on a beautiful teal costume (100% polyester) fabric that has glitter scattered around. It doesnt have any stretch to it and now I am freaking out that I made the wrong choice with the fabric.

I havent sewn in a while, so has anyone had any luck using polyester type fabric for a mermaid tail? The optimistic part of me wants to make scales like in this costume

http://www.amazon.com/Glitter-Mermaid-Adult-Size-Costume/dp/B0013SU986/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1218650067&sr=8-6

Has anyone has successfully made scales with this type of fabric? I am thinking of doing stacked rows of triangles on long strips to prevent the endless million scales. I am wondering if the scales require a lot of sewing or backing to prevent fraying on the edges. Anyone use sequins? Any assistance on fabric, scales - ANYTHING would be very helpful. I have also included a couple of costumes below that I like for anyone to lend ideas!

Much love!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008 12:22:53 PM »

Try the Halloween Board
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=262382.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008 04:50:36 PM »

I think the scales are just very large sequins.  I'm guessing that the material is specially made for them, but you could surf the net to see what you can find.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008 05:31:03 AM »

Alright, here's my in no way professional opinion:  considering you definitely want to use the material you have, make a pencil skirt on the bias, with a back slit cut just above your knees (so you can walk).  You're going to attach your tail (same fabric?  different fabric?  I think a lighter color chiffon or tulle would be pretty, but that's me) to the hem, and extend it all the way up that slit.  I'd gather it muchly all the way around, particularly at the top of that slit, so that when you walk, it'll look like an angel fish in the water.

And those are sequins, on that costume you linked, like the other poster said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008 08:23:52 AM »

First: see my signature! Cheesy
The Halloween board has little/ no sewing advice.

The scales are not hard, just so tedious to do the quantity required. Basicly do little pockets (scale shape you like, cut 2, sew wroing sides together & turn). Sewing all those scales onto a skirt base will be tedious as well but the result, that will be fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008 09:22:14 AM »

Penlowe: that link doesn't work it says "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

Also, I'd say to return the fabric and get a stretchy swimsuit type of fabric, or use that fabric for the fin. For the skirt part it would be best to have a stretchy fabric to get a tight skirt that you can actually walk in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008 11:05:19 AM »

Sweets merged two or three costume board topics, that's probably where it went.  There is still a page for it, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008 12:37:34 PM »

/ sigh 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lab_diva
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008 09:26:18 PM »

I know that Jo-Ann's carries (or has carried) mermaid-like fabric, in blue and green with metallic scales. I haven't seen the fabric in yet, but if you could wait a week or two, they should have it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cages or Wings, which do you prefer? Ask the birds. ~ttb, J. Larson
hello_chicachicaboom
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009 07:27:00 PM »

I know its a "little" bit late but I recently found a pretty good mermaid fin tute here:  http://mermaid.nunodoll.com/costume.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Victoria Wilson: What Are You Reading?
Bryce Andrews: What Are You Reading?
Artie Lange’s Tips for Luxury Travel
Duck Commander Matriarch Miss Kay Has a Cookbook!
An Extended Look at a Great Game
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...