A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom Orders  (Read 777 times)
Tags for this thread: custom_order  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PerfecktMistake
« on: August 13, 2008 10:51:18 AM »

I make hemp jewlery and knit. I plan on selling custom order things, but not too sure how to do it. Is doing custom orders even worth it, or should I just sell things as I make them? If I list every color and material it will take forever. If someone could help I would really appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*Army Wife*~
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008 12:47:43 PM »

It's probably easier to just have contact details, and a notice saying you can do custom orders, and let people cntact you on a one to one basis, as opposed to listing all different colours/materials/options. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Circlesofstone
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008 06:40:01 AM »

I make jewelry and I find custom items frustrating. It seems that no matter how many beads I have someone always wants it in a color I don't have. Once I special ordered items for a friend (paying shipping, etc.) only to have her change her mind, she just didn't want the necklace at all. Ugh! I was very upset, but since she is a good customer I did not say anything. Another time I had a lady insist she wanted a necklace done a certain way, I personally thought it would be ugly but did it anyway. She took one look at it and said, "Oh, that is not how I envisioned it, I don't want it". I learned my lesson. Now if someone wants anything custom made, they will have to put up a nonrefundable down payment up front. This way if they don't want it at the last minute at least I've covered my cost of supplies.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennyandcharlie
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008 10:48:59 AM »

I don't have any personal experience with custom work but I know that at my job we require a 50% deposit to cover our costs/get material in and then they can pay the rest when the work is done. Sometimes we work with people and can make it a little less than half, plus you can obviously decide this for yourself and your situation. It really encourages people to be serious about their order!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alliemac
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008 04:27:02 PM »

I do some custom handbags on a limited basis.  I usually limit the choices to fabrics I have in stock but I do sometimes offer to shop for something particular someone wants.  That being said if I can't find it I offer them something close and let them decide if we will continue or not.  I find that alot of people are not so much concerned with the details of an exact match of what they want but just so that they get the general feel of what they're looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008 04:44:02 AM »

For me, if something I have to make special is under $200, I want it all up front or I simply don't start work; chasing someone down for $50 or less would be unbelievably tedious and I won't do it.

For my soon-to-be bag shop I'll put up examples of different styles, but the actual bags will be made from a choice of material, I pick or they pick. Since Joann and Hancock are the local outlets for me, I'll take pics inside their store to give folks an idea of the materials they'll have available. So all they have to do is pick a style, pick a color, then I'll send them pics of the material available; they approve, they PAY, then I work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mkt

Unicorn dreamin'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008 07:04:08 AM »

I'm here to wave the flag for custom orders - in fact, I recently changed my business model so that I only do custom orders now!

There are unique challenges to working this way - you need to be very clear about what is and isn't included in your price, for example, and make sure you and the customer both understand exactly what you're going to be doing - but there are also unique rewards. For a start, people are willing to pay good money for a beautiful, one of a kind item that's been handmade to their design, and there's nothing quite like the lovely warm feeling you get when someone really loves something you've made just for them!

If you're prepared to spend a lot of time emailing people (accounted for in your fee, of course) and don't mind sometimes having to work on things that you personally wouldn't have chosen to do a particular way (there's always one person who wants a really odd colour scheme!), then it may be worth your while. If that's the case, I'd suggest working out what you'd have to charge, and seeing if it fits your market.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
P.J. Bracegirdle Talks About Fiendish Deeds
Meet Author Hester Browne
Jonathan Segura: Discusses His Debut Novel Occupational Hazards
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Reveal Their Favorite Words
Peter Walsh Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...