A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,108
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: store owner friend(help in atlanta)  (Read 603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Street Ashes

Can't we all just get along?

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2008 09:37:34 AM »

i am in a bit of a sticky situation.

friend opened a graffiti/hip hop/urban boutique here in Atlanta. besides spray paint and soda only my crafts are selling. everything i have put in the store has sold.
(crochet wallets made out of plarn, resin jewelry, record bowls, and canvas)
the original agreement was he would get 20% of sales. and that was at my urging. he kept saying before the store was opened he would only take 10%. so we agreed on 20%(in writing). every time something sells he calls me and when i come to collect he short changes me. like something sold and he was like "it sold for $15 but 20% is $3, so can i just keep $5 and give u $10?" and I'm like, "we agreed on 20%"
then he goes. "but i sold it to a personal friend, she wouldn't have bought it if i didn't push it to her....." why does he think hes entitled to short change me? this has happened a few times and the problem is hes a friend of mine so its awkward.
he doesn't treat the other artist's this way!  what should i do? Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008 12:57:27 PM »

I would insist that they pay me the full amount we settled on, or threaten to remove my items from the store, and carry out said threat if they didn't agree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008 03:48:48 AM »

I totally agree with the poster above. He's not really your friend if he's trying to take advantage of your hard work. You could always remove the items and sell them elsewhere. So really he should be giving you the right amount.

Afterall, your agreement is for 20%. Also you have to cover the costs for material and time, so don't let him push you around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Circlesofstone
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008 05:54:02 AM »

Reading the forums it sounds like the best advice is not to go into business with friends. Like you said it makes for a very awkward situation and you don't want to lose the friendship. I would remind him that he originally only wanted 10% and you insisted he take a higher percentage. It sounds like he is starting to panic because nothing is selling except for your items and he needs the money. I don't know how many items you still have left in his store, but I would definitely NOT take anymore in until you agree on your payment. Maybe that threat will be enough for him to realize he will lose your products. Maybe it would be better if you could wholesale it to him? That way you make your money upfront and he can price it however he wants and you don't have to go back to get your share.

Goodluck, this is a tough situation. Please let us know what you end up doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008 08:36:35 AM »

I would insist that they pay me the full amount we settled on, or threaten to remove my items from the store, and carry out said threat if they didn't agree.

Agreed.  You have a contract in writing, bottom line. Even if he is short changing himself (most consignment is at least 60/40), he agreed to it!  If he were smart, he'd treat you well so that you could spread the word to other artists.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008 08:37:21 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008 12:38:45 PM »

I agree with what has already been said. It sounds like you may be his primary earner right now and it is really stupid on his part to play games.

I have a habit of attracting folks who start out honorable and degrade to something less so too. I'm dealing with a client like that right now and I know it can be really difficult.

You have the advantage here and also have the ability to talk to him face to face. If he wanted to renegotiate your contract he should tell you, not rip you off. If he wants to give someone a discount, it should come out of his 20%.

I'll leave you with one more thought, if he was truly your friend why would he try to cheat you? The answer is - real friends don't cheat each other.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008 04:57:09 AM »

He's clearly not a good businessperson. Friends aren't the best crop of people to pick to do business with. That's because you think you know them, and are disappointed to find out all the hidden little nooks and crannies you didn't know about. In your friend's case, he sees an opportunity, and now he's become more greedy. But...

He probably only offered you the 10% because of the friendship in the first place; you say he doesn't treat others this way, but he's probably making more out of deals with them. That's not really a fair cut for the shop owner who has to take care of all the overhead and is responsible for bringing people in to the store. You're making sales, so the arrangement "works". I wouldn't walk away quite yet.

I would re-negotiate to give him a bigger cut. However, you should keep a good eye on him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Norman Mailer’s “Double Life” as a Writer
Terra McVoy: What Are You Reading?
Mary Louise Kelly: What Are You Reading?
California Sensibility: What Is California Literature?
Writer Alex Witchel On Loss In "All Gone"
Latest Blog Articles
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...