A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Houston  (Read 16668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vicatron
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004 08:31:20 AM »

Heres the thrift store lowdown-

All the good ones are outside the loop sillies! See the Value Village on 45 S at College (i think), Alamo on Spencer, Value Village on Harrisburg, Salvation Army on Strawberry, Umm theres another Value Village deep in Pasadena on preston i think...
Hope this helps..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmcarter
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2004 02:09:43 PM »

Hi- actually, the Value village in the Heights just moved, it didn't close. It is now on 23rd and Shepard. It is nice, and still really cheap. The Value Village in Pasadena is the best, if you don't mind the 20 minute drive from inside the loop. It is huge and not too picked over. I also like the VV on Harrisburg, as well as the one in the Bellaire area. Savers by Sharpstown mall is good. Any other good ones?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheshirelephant
Smile, it makes people wonder what your up to.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004 09:56:23 PM »

Another Houstonian... I live in the Aldine area....I love Value Village on Gessner and the one on 23rd and Shepard.Any good suggestions of good ones in my area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naggie_maggie
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2004 12:16:40 AM »

Hi, I live near Hobby and still need to check out the VV at 45 & College (or maybe it's Edgebrook?)  and find the one in Pasadena.

I've always had good luck at:

Family Thrift on Durham just south of 11th 
Sand Dollar on Yale @19th
Value Village on 23rd & Shepard
The Guild Shop on Dunlavy @Welch (mostly for jewelry and glassware/china)
Blue Bird Circle @615 W Alabama (east of Montrose Blvd)

do any of you know good resale places for furniture?  most I've been to are too high priced for the quality imo.  they have some really nice furniture at the Guild Shop but it's out of my price range   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindabelle
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2004 07:59:15 PM »

Hi all of you in Houston area,

I am a newbie, and really enjoying checking out everything.

I live in La Porte and yesterday just discovered a new Family Thrift Center at the corner of Shaver and Southmore in Pasadena.  Someone told me it has only been opened about a month.  There were many new items that still had a store price tag.   They made the announcements in Spanish and my Spanish is limited but I was able to buy a bunch of stuff!  Like  2 skirts, 4 tops, 4 pair of pants, 2 dresses and a sweater  - priced from just under $3 to $ 6.75.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindabelle
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2004 08:15:53 PM »

Naggie Magie- There is a furniture consignment shop on Strawberry (between Pasadena Blvd and Southmore - on same side of street as the Salvation Army store that burned last month)  I have not been there since they moved to that location but had stopped in several times when they were located on Fairmont Parkway.  Think the VV is at Edgebrook and I 45 and the one in Pasadena is at Southmore and Burke.  There are also Sand Dollar and Alamo on Spencer near intersection with Shaver.   On down towards La Porte there is a Thrift Store  on Spencer (right side of street)  just past San Jacinto College with a  2nd location actually in La Porte on NE corner of Spencer (now Main) and Hwy 146.  And Boys and Girls Harbor has recently  opened a shop also on Main  5 -6 blocks to the East (on right)  Also several Antique stores and a stained glass place along that stretch of Main.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naggie_maggie
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2004 09:27:54 PM »

thanks lindabelle, i'm probably gonna head out this weekend to check some of those out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindabelle
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2004 04:43:07 PM »

Naggie Maggie- Saw a sign on the door of a now shut down Dollar General Store on Spencer- block or so east of Alamo and Sand $  that said Salvation Army will re-open at that location (no date).  will be good to have 3 thrift stores so close together.

Also- Saturday, Sept 25,  the Methodist Church on Fairmont Parkway (almost to La Porte -Past Red Bluff and Pasadena Convention Center. It is on the left  before you get to Underwood. Actually you will have to make a U-turn on Underwood to get to it) is having a big garage sale with a different concept.  They are renting out parking spaces where individuals can sell their stuff.  One of my former co-workers has rented a space and someone else who rented one had ad in La Porte paper that she was selling fabric & sewing items in her space. Their regular garage sales have alwaysbeen  one of the best in this area.  Hope it not raining as I plan on being there early. If you see a granny lady with a toddler  in a stroller it might be me!!  Hopefully her mom will get home and I won't have to take her with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelly
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2004 08:25:47 AM »

There is also a store called MAM (or MAAM, I cant remember) on Longpoint near Blalock.  They seem a little more expensive than Value Village (on Gessner) but have a better selection of furniture (VV on Gessner has like no furniture) and they have a lot of books and it is just a much more organized store.  plus, the whole point of the store is that it the money goes to help homeless people or other people that need money, and so all the people that work there (for the most part) are volunteers, and there are tons of cute old ppl (like grandpas) that sing old showtunes and are just so cute.  (i recommend volunteering there on like a saturday afternoon, because you are helping a good cause and then you can kind of look around while you are working)
      I also recommend my church's garage sale (they do it annually-this year it will be May 21 and 22).  they do it at Traders Village and they have this HUGE area, tons of clothes, furniture, everything you can imagine.  Each year they raise like $30,000 or something (so you can see how much stuff there is) and the  money goes to support people in Inner City.  If you come on Sunday (the 22) the prices will be extra low, you can buy a bag for like $1 and fill it up with whatever you can find.  Last year I was buying a suitcase and they gave it to me for like $2 and said to put in it whatever i could, so i filled it with clothes, a typewriter, books, etc. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

irishprincessbk
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2005 08:59:55 AM »

houston,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"THE CALM THAT KILLED THE STORM"--------06/16/05
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Preparation and Stir-fry Methods for Cooking
Stip fibers from peapods for Chinese food ingredie
Important ingredients for Chinese cooking
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 2 of 8
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...