A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you do when you have a craft supply thief?  (Read 1846 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darkladymajesta
« on: August 12, 2008 03:32:42 PM »

Soon I will be moving in with another person who makes very little money (less than me) and is into crafts? The girl in question frequently asks me for stuff and I usually give her supplies if I do not need it or have extras. But she is also known for going through my things and taking stuff without my permission (stuff that is valuable to me and I have plans for). I want to know what would you do in this situation? I have put a lock on my door but that may have to come off since the owners of the home do not want locks placed on any interior doors that can be locked from the outside (does that make sense?). And since they live with us I can't exactly hide the lock  Roll Eyes

I should mention that this person is also very unstable at times and will do mean things and take things from me just to get back at me. I would live on my own if I could but am financially unable. I am going to try to keep my lock for as long as possible but I doubt I will keep it for long I hope that giving them a key so they have access (why they want into my room I don't know) but so the thief wont. Any ideas on how I can keep my stuff from being stolen or at least being able to prove it was her? I only have two proven incidents that she takes my stuff but the owners are still not convinced it is her  Undecided Plenty of my things will disappear if I don't do something, I move in less than three weeks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008 03:35:20 PM »

I'm not sure there is really crafty solution to this other than locking your supplies in a closet in your room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008 03:55:34 PM »

tell her to stop doing it..if she continues write down the date and the supply that was stolen to keep a trail..

I dont think its a money issue as much as a compulsion issue..regardless of how much or little money people have a thief is a thief..

since you are moving I am guessing she will still keep at it before you go..the landlords probably dont want to do anything about it since you are leaving and I am guessing the other girl is staying..either way you'd think they wouldnt want a thief living in their house..

if you can move it into a storage unit that isnt located in the house a public storage type place..a few bucks a month for a little piece of mind..

good luck..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008 04:57:26 PM »

I agree...I would lock my stuff in a closet or a lockbox of some sort...heck I would probably get a safe because my crafting supplies are that important to me...anyhow, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008 07:25:52 AM »

My first question is: why are you moving in with this person? You know they are dishonest & unstable.
My second question is: Why the rules about locked doors? That gives me the willies in a bad way.

If you have no choice but to walk into this sticky situation, I'd get a large trunk and store everything of value in it & keep a big heavy duty lock on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008 07:26:42 AM »

Get some of the big Rubbermaid totes with lockable edges.  You could even decorate them, so they're crafty! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jessvict
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008 07:31:34 AM »

get a foot locker, it has a lock and plenty of room, or if you have a car put them in a tote and then in your trunk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008 08:32:27 AM »

I have to agree with Penlowe on this one...don't settle for this situation.  Deal with it for as long as you have to, but please, please keep looking for alternatives.  It just doesn't sound like a good thing all around.

That being said, be careful if you decide to keep supplies in your car.  On a hot day, aerosol cans will expand and distort, and may explode (yup...thank you, static guard--thankfully I caught it before it actually exploded), and glues can get yucky.  Your best bet would be lockable storage, which is rather cheap.  Also, though, stand up to the girl.  Have an honest, non-confrontational discussion with her about supplies, and perhaps set up a "shared" bin, where you can both put extras and leftovers that are up for grabs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
darkladymajesta
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008 02:13:31 PM »

Oh wow this is the most replies I have had in such a short amount of time! I wanted to keep the identities realitively secret but since it seems like I am going into a really creepy situation Ill have to give an update  Roll Eyes

I am moving back in with my parents. I lived with my boyfriend who is now joining the army reserves and will be gone seven long months for training. The supply thief is my sister, and my parents have agreed to let me keep the lock on my door  Grin so all is well and good except that I can not ever leave it unlocked or leave anything outside of my room since my sister is now very angry with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008 02:28:51 PM »

locking file cabinet would work also.  and only leave  out the  stuff you dig out adn don't  want so she thinks shes getting your good stuff but really isn't.

But most importnatnly why live with those in particular people is there no other choice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Glow Effect in Photoshop
How to Create a Rainbow Color Effect in Photoshop
How to Use Photoshop 2/2
How to Use Photoshop 1/2
how to Make a Picture Look Like A Painting in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...