A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric bleeding issues?  (Read 380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookwormbethie
« on: August 12, 2008 11:32:27 AM »

Okay I jinxed myself after writing to angelbum about never having bleeding issues with DMC floss.  Now I'm having them with fabric!!

I know it's very important to launder fabrics before stitching on them to prevent shrinkage and distortion of stitches if the project is laundered after it is finished.  So I bought a placemat at Wal-Mart to stitch on and make a purse out of (see placemat bag tutorial in purse forum if interested).  The placemat is a beautiful "ribbon stripe" plum placemat.  The label says it is 100% polyester microfiber, stain resistant, and wrinkle resistant.  The care directions say to machine wash cold, tumble dry, cool iron.

THANK GOODNESS I washed it by hand since I didn't have a dark load of laundry coming up.  The placemat turned the water reddish purple!!!  Yikes, SO SO glad it wasn't in the wash turning everything reddish purple!!!!  Anyway, the really weird thing is I started out just rinsing and soaking the placemat in cold water.  The water was clear.  Then I drained the sink and added a little bit (no more than a tablespoon) of plain ol regular liquid TIDE.  This is when the fabric dye started to bleed/leak and the water turned red.  I rinsed the placemat out in cold water and the water ran clear, when I used TIDE again the fabric bled and turned the water red.

I've bought patterned colored cotton fabric before and thrown it in with the wash and nothing to my knowledge has bled.  Is it because cotton doesn't ever bleed???

My "ployester microfiber" placement is air drying now and the color stills seems as vivid when compared to how the placement looked before I washed it.  Does anyone know why the fabric bled when using TIDE + coldwater?Huh?  Does it have anything to do with the placement being "polyester microfiber" or "stain resistant"Huh  I just find it odd that nothing bled when I used cold water on the placemat.

At least I know to tell the gift recipient to only wash her purse in plain ol cold water, NO SOAP!, if it ever needs washing.

Sorry for the rambling, any opinions/thoughts/advice welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008 04:16:21 PM »

Cotton fabric can bleed too.  I think it all depends on the type of dye and the quality of the dye job.  I don't think there is any way to know ahead of time whether your item will bleed other than to wash it ahead of time.  You can add some vinegar to your water to help hold the color in.

Often I launder with those little sheets that will attract the dye so the color doesn't transfer throughout my wash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008 04:19:34 PM »

a towel can help too when washing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookwormbethie
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008 11:41:06 AM »

I've never had problems with fabrics bleeding before, however, I went ahead and took the placemat back to Wal-mart and got my whopping $3 back.  It was going to be used for part of a gift and I didn't want to worry about the gift recipient laundering it and messing up her load of laundry.

In the future, I'll probably give fabrics a  quick rinse in the sink before I toss it in the washer with other fabrics I've recently bought. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pot-O-Gold Necklace
How to Make a Sharmrock Ring
How to Make a Crayon and Water Color Combo Fish
How to Start Seeds Using Toilet Paper Rolls
How to Make Seed Balls for The Garden
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...