A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Support Your Local Yarn Store  (Read 360 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juju dalton
« on: August 11, 2008 12:08:52 PM »

I'm going to preface this by saying that I know what it's like to live on a very tight budget and have bought yarn and knitting supplies at the big evil chains and on the internet myself.  I also swear that I do not nor have I ever owned a yarn store.

Having said that I heard a piece on NPR a few weeks ago that confirmed what I have been noticing in the last few years.  Local Yarn Stores are Disappearing!!  I have seen 4 out of 6 independent yarn stores in my area close.  I have seen stores that I visit whenever I travel close.  I have tried to track down stores in a dozen cities while traveling that are listed in the current phone book and on the web and are just empty store fronts. 

The internet is both cheap and convenient.  I have bought tons of yarn in my pajamas, flaunting my bed hair-do.

I have bought my knitting supplies at Michael's, Joann's, and even the evil Wal-Mart. 

Having said that, there is no pleasure for me that beats the independent yarn store.  Getting to touch, squeeze and smell the yarn.  Getting help and advice from owners and employees.  Seeing yarns that I've never seen before and patterns created by locals.  I plan outings, beg and plead with my boyfriend, bribe family members, scour the net for hours and neglect my nephews for the chance to visit these stores.  I bet there are others out there who feel the way I do.

I vow to try to patronize my local stores more, even just to pay a dollar more for needles.  Is anyone willing to join me?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008 04:51:04 PM »

I totally agree. Smiley 

By the way, have you discovered KnitMap yet? Smiley  I like how its search is customizable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Studio Photography Tips
Beginner Camera Kit
Action or Sports Photography
Household Items to Keep in Your Camera Bag
How to Hack Your On-Board Flash
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...