A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: people just don't understand (rant!!)  (Read 10493 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MaggieMo
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2009 10:32:29 AM »

Wow this is a good topic, I am fortunate to have friends that support my craft ADD and are willing in most cases to join in the fun. Some of them are "too good" for clothing, but like the idea of making their own curtains and pillows.

I also do not think that if I made any of them a beanie or scarf that a single one of them would turn it down or turn their noses up at it and would wear the items while with me at the very least.

This weekend I wanted wooden egg yard decorations and a friend with tools helped cut and sand them and his wife created some of her own. It was a blast, the husband will not be interested is having a repeat if this activity for awhile lol because he had to deal with us being inexperienced with the tools and needing alot of help, but he seemed glad to help and hang out while we tried our hands at it.

My boyfriend complained about it being cheaper to just buy the decorations but acknowledged how much fun we had and how much cooler it is to have camo eggs in the front yard. He always bugs me to sew pink clothing for his girl dog.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But I don't want to go among mad people." said Alice. "Oh, you cant help that," said the cat. "We're all mad here."
Alexus1325
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2009 02:27:38 AM »

I made several gorgeous soft scarves, and several shawls from this really pretty fabric I found. Two of my friends adored thier gifts, one still uses her shawl ten years later. One day at a thrift store I found one of my scarves, and knew exactly who I'd given it to. My little ribbon tag was still attached to it. Another friend didnt think twice about telling me she didnt like them, why didnt I just BUY her something? I havent spoken to her in years.

OUCH, I physically winced reading that!

My guy even has a love for all things handmade. For christmas he gave me several necklaces and bracelets he made himself. And hes never made those things before! Just the fact he took the time to learn how to do it, because he knew I would love them, meant so much more

THAT however made me go "awwwww!" My boyfriend knitted me colourful arm-warmers last Christmas because he knew I wanted some (I was pondering asking his mom to teach me) and he needed to do something during the car ride to Florida (3 day drive FTW!).

The Christmas that just passed ROCKED. The boyfriend's mom knitted me gloves the exact same colour as my pink parka, his sister knitted a psychedelic tutti-fruity scarf that I ADORE, and both of them liked the little embroidered pictures I made for them! YAY! The sister actually told her friend about it on the phone *happy dance* And I had rave reviews of my pot-grabbers for my own family's potluck giftmas (Uncle Wally has no idea how he survived without them Tongue). All in all, my crafting "prowess" is acknowledged as being a legitimate skillset at the least, but most of my family and friends think it's awesome that I sew. I get few requests, though, because I'm honest about my mediocre skills and the high cost of materials. My boyfriend really wants a computer-tower carrying case though Tongue

Gah, I keep deleting what I write regarding people who are anti-handmade. Let them burn, I say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gaylie
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2009 09:12:57 AM »

I'm in the lucky group as well.  This weekend we had a prom for the grown ups and I made bling and buttonieres and corsages and ramped up dresses and lots of stuff. I got a lot of Wow, you can make ANYTHING which was a huge boost. Ive never had or wanted a purchased blanket in my life.  Ive always had quilts that my grandmother made.  I wouldnt have it any other way.  My cousins and I will still sit down and say Oh, that piece was that sun dress I had in the summer before I started high school.  I wore that thing out!

My mom just made new curtains for her bedroom.  They were pretty expensive with lining and valance and having the pleats pressed in at the dry cleaners.  They will last the rest of her life, I imagine.  I like change, so I purchased a $1.49 brass rod, some curtain ring clips, and a thick piece of $2 yard gold and blue upholstery fabric and Hobby Lobby.  My room has a warm parchment glow when it rains and that suits me fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plummy
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2009 08:10:19 PM »

i'm so glad i'm not the only one with bad experiences...recen tly i had an acquaintance request for me to make her a dress, and i said 'of course' without even discussing the price.  i definitely never going about this again.  she has seen my website and the dress that she wanted me to make her i am selling for 85$.  i was fine giving her a bit of a discount, since i knew her and whatnot.  so we bought the fabric (she chose it, i really dislike it--it's semi-sheer too, which means i had to modify my pattern to deal with that) and then i took her measurements and then i brought up the subject of money, since this was a business transaction to me.  i explained that i usually charge for supplies (in this case 10$ since i has super joann's coupons) and then between 10-20$ per hour for my time, and that i thought this dress would probably take me around 4hours to make.  i offered up 50$ for what i thought was a very cheap price for her, especially compared to what i usually charge (and she is not hurting for money, trust me).  and then she said 'how about 40$ and we'll say it's a part birthday present for me?'  i was so surprised at her bargaining down my price that i said 'ok' without thinking, never mind that i definitely don't know her well enough to get her a birthday present, never mind that i have a LOT of stuff i should be doing instead of working on this dress (i'm moving in 2 days, so i'm all packing), never mind that i ALREADY gave her what i thought was a really good price.  thank goodness this silly dress is done, i had a ton of problems with the thread tension and finally just gave up on the seams lying perfectly smooth (if this was a personal project i would have just scrapped the material and used it for something else, and found different material to use for this project).  i'm worried she won't like it, because honestly *i* don't like it--it's not in my usual style at all.

well.  that was my rant, i've just been very frustrated about this whole deal this evening as i've been working on this monster dress.  next time i will definitely give a price upfront and basically say take it or leave it.  i also will be a LOT less likely to do 'favors' for people, except very close friends, since people just don't appreciate it.  i..ugh, this whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.

i'm going to go relax now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sambal and Coconut Rice
Asian Style Seared Duck Breast
Stinky Tofu in Hong Kong
How to Make Thai Cabbage Salad
How To Cook Easy Indian Dishes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...