A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: people just don't understand (rant!!)  (Read 10478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008 09:55:20 AM »

WOW!  I'm soooo lucky that pretty much everyone that I exchange gifts with really appreciate handmade things.  Even the family members who don't make anything, are kind of materialistic and wasteful REALLY appreciate the handmade-especially-for-them things and make sure that their kids know how special it is.  I've a friend who's not at all crafty, but last year at xmas bought a gingerbread house kit and helped her 1.5 and 3 year old daughters make the only handmade gift they did that year for me.   Grin

Speaking of awesome men, my man said in a text conversation to me, "Your made stuff is better than things once can buy from stores, for that matter."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Therisa

Knitfiend, Mad Sewist

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008 05:08:45 PM »

About these male teenagers - what they wear today that they're proud of Mom's having made:

jeans with custom embroidered pockets or with other embroidery
hawa'ii type shirts but with cool fabrics
hoodies
boxers
pj pants (the type they wear to school)
all manner of knitted hats, scarves, gloves, sweaters

Female teenagers:
any items, esp.
blouse
skirt
dress
jacket
coat
embroidered jeans
pajamas
camisole

I teach in a large, comprehensive high school.  I have my ear to the ground about the fashion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Fabric Fast and pledged to buy no new yardage until July 1, 2008.

2008 Fabric Purchased: 56 yards

Fabric Sewn: 93 yards

Fabric Remaining: An Awful Lot

I am open to personal swaps!

http://www.wists.com/Therisa
momokins
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008 05:40:38 PM »

Ouch ouch ouch
Well I just want to say that this thread (and another in stitch&botch) have really confirmed that
1. Not too long ago I was one of those "materialistic" people
2. I didn't understand the effort that went into all this
3. It's worth learning especially since I always loved OOAK stuff
4. I should have sucked it up and learned to create garments myself for real... Instead of expecting to transplant my ideas into peoples' brains and expect them to do it for basically free.

So thanks to all of you for discussing this, and things on craftster in general. This is a place where someone like me can come to learn the effort, care, and passion that can REALLY go into the creation of "stuff"

A little note behind the mentality- I just simply thought that handmade stuff was inferior. I just wanted more, for less money, fast. I'm happy to say I've grown up. I even have greater appreciation for ready-to-wear, couture, and finely crafted items in general. Also I am saving money by sewing. When I make something, it's an item I really want to wear, instead of an impulse buy that I forget about 2 hours later (recovering serial shopper here).

I'll outro with some really bad things I demanded, haha, craftster confessional..
I regularly went to my grandma's place in the Philippines with her and I used to get clothes made. I expected a ton of things made to my design within three weeks of our visit, despite the language barrier too. There would only be a couple people in the dressmaker's and I would impatiently await all my new stuff. Then I wouldn't wear the outlandish creations I designed, and was unhappy about the polyester (well we told them to use the cheapest fabric).Wow was I a brat.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008 05:43:53 PM by momokins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, you can call me Momo. I'm a spoiled-brat-turned-DIYer and a recovering shopaholic Smiley.

I love OOAK items.
NixArmageddon
Generosity of Spirit

Hand in unloveable hand...

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2008 02:45:32 PM »

You know I have been there before too. I've had a few people not even say ANYTHING not even that it wasn't really for them. Nothing. I think that hurts the most. Also the fact that they were creative people themselves made it sting a little more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auroravioletta
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2008 03:29:51 PM »

Oh, this drives me bonkers!

A friend of mine was teaching me to use a drop-spindle in the student lounge where we go to school together, and there's this one guy who absolutely would not leave us alone. Not only does he mock the craftyness, it was as if he took it as a personal insult. He seriously wanted us to leave.

Another guy I used to know loved that I was crafty, but only because he wanted me to make him project after project. I almost gave up crafting for other people altogether!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

................... ................... I like bunnies!
rainbowmeow
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008 03:35:09 PM »

A few weeks ago, some one saw a bag I made and wanted me to make them a diaper bag.  I quoted them $35, which I thought was really cheap, and about the price of a store-bought one.  They said "I'll think about it..."  Never heard anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daina

There should be a twelve step program for crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2008 04:58:20 PM »

A few weeks ago, some one saw a bag I made and wanted me to make them a diaper bag.  I quoted them $35, which I thought was really cheap, and about the price of a store-bought one.  They said "I'll think about it..."  Never heard anything.

That's cheap even for a store bought one. There are some out there that are over two hundred, and probably not nearly as nice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairies-in-disguise

if it doesn't kill us, it probably should have

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008 10:37:28 AM »

Reading this makes me feel really sorry for most of you and your awful experiences! I'm lucky to have friends and family who actually understand the value of my time, even though hardly any of them are remotely crafty.

I'm making my christmas formal dress, and dresses for three friends this year, and they are all totaly happy to pay a reasonable price for them. One is partialy a birthday present, so I'm not charging her for my time atall, just materials, but she still wanted to pay for it!

This makes me so glad I'm apreciated! I didn't realise just how blind and stupid some people could be about the value of handmade items!

(the apreciation may have something to do with my mum singing praises about me to all her friends  Embarrassed hehe)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisadee
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008 06:06:10 PM »

When some people have acted like I'm weird or quaint for sewing (a simple handmade pencil skirt at work is apparently a strange thing), I've tried to remind them that there was a time most people (ok, women) knew how to do this as a self-sufficiency/self-reliant kind of thing. How else can you get *exactly* what you want? I think it's more strange that most people can't hem some pants or curtains themselves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
costumecrazy
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008 09:40:54 AM »

You're right...noncrafters just don't get it. I spend lots of time sewing for people who don't really appreciate it [actors] and normally I don't care- it's not their thing. But the other day, the lead in our school play was whining about how long a particular costume piece was taking. He told me he needed  it soon so it could help him "get into character". This is a custom-made red velvet smoking jacket, mind you. I drafted it myself from scratch, crocheted a long black silk cord for the belt, and am now in the process of stitching the entire thing by hand. So after a couple hours of fighting with slippery velvet I was not in the mood to deal with him. People just don't get that good work takes TIME.

I was planning to line it in cotton so he'd be more comfortable onstage, but I think I'm going to line it in polyester. Tee hee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

theobstinateartist. wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Your Own Napkin Ring
How to Gift Wrap a Bottle
How to Decorate Your Gifts
How to Decorate Your Gift Wrapped Bottle
How to Wrap a Square Ended Box
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...