A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
495 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Syringes by the dozen  (Read 3163 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dustyfro
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013 11:19:05 PM »

I just got a bunch of breathing tubes with cannula as part of a recycled art challenge.  Basically, the store gives you a bunch of junk of their choice and tells you to make art out of it.  I'm not really sure what I'll do with them yet.  I was hoping for some kind of kinetic sculpture, or maybe I'll weave a basket out of them.  I wish I could fill them with different colors of water, but I think the water would get icky, so it couldn't be permanent.  If you've got any great ideas, tell me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
doveylou
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013 12:46:20 PM »

The tubing makes great handles for gift bags.  You could just add them to a paper bag, or make your own bag from a paper envelope.  I've made cute gift bags from tyvek envelopes turned inside out, and folded to make them into a bag with a bottom and sides.  Then just add the tubing for handles and decorate the tyvek if you want.  One of the funkiest bags I've made was from a plastic bubble wrap envelope which I left right side out, folded and stitched gussets, then flipped it inside out so the bubble part was on the outside.  I used the IV tubing for handles, and it had a cool industrial look.  Unlike much gift wrap, this is something guys might actually like.

Are the syringes long enough that you could make a cuff bracelet out of it?  I'm thinking of those bracelets made by heating and bending toothbrushes.  But a syringe might not be long enough to make it most of the way around a wrist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013 10:50:05 PM »

I want to make more of a sculpture, but I'm not getting any inspiration.  I also found some bottles that look like they once held something inject-able and some syringes with the needles broken off, which I got in case I ended up deciding to squirt liquid into these tubes after all.  So now I have all these medical supplies.  I also have bottles of various sizes from vitamin supplements, but I kind of had a plan for those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
dustyfro
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013 11:32:03 PM »

I think they're too thick for me to do something like this http://wtfoodge.com/fluid-sculpture-made-of-surgical-tubing/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LizzyEU
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013 02:39:49 AM »

My girlfriend has a iv pump and we have dozens of syringes(needless) everywhere!
It's killing me that all this is going to the waste dump- they are not hazerdous, they were just full of saliene.
I need to make something with all these- plus I have iv tubing and saliene bags up the wazoo!
I was thinking of using the syringes to hold stuff, like advil or mouthwash...Making a lil holder for them, like those metal test tube holders we all played with in chemistry, and then hanging them on the wall.
Anyone else have any cool ideas? I'm drowning in these things Tongue

Ahh syringes. I have at least one in just about every room of the house. Mind the hygienic requirements for each use and let's see.

Syringes with needles:
- oiling sewing machines and other fine parts
- precision glue application (toss after use)
- precision paint application (toss after use)

Syringes without needles:
- nasal irrigation/sinus flushing (use at least 20 ml syringes, and use boiled water unless you like scary deadly infections)
- paint application (toss or clean right after use)
- glue application (toss after use)
- measuring of liquids (food coloring, perfume, aroma's and essential oils, etc; insulin syringes are the most precise)
- precision hair dye application (toss after use)
- application of cream or topping on baked foods

Creative use
- turn it into a usb stick
- turn it into a pen
- fill with jell-o and cool for awesome halloween jell-o shots

Also, I reckon if you cut them up (length-direction) and work them with a lighter and then spray-paint, you could turn them into flowers and other ornaments for hair pins and home decoration. Haven't tried though.

Edit: forgot a few.
- transporting perfume from large bottles into small carry-with-you tubes
- making lip gloss and lipstick (5 or 10 ml syringes with needle base cut off with a hobby knife, and extended, placed upside down, filled with oil- and wax base then left to harden; once hard, you just push the hardened "stick" out into a lipstick holder)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013 07:24:29 AM by LizzyEU » THIS ROCKS   Logged
deadbathducky2
DeadBathDucky new account

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013 09:11:10 PM »

If you do any craft that involves liquids they are good for those (Painting, dying fabric or wool, injecting liquid into something.) Or to use as glue without the needle for things like tiny models, or sterilized for food uses. If you can sterilized them they work great for adding flavour to food as you can dispose them after or use one syringe her flavour and not have the cross contamination of flavours. We use syringes at work for food and its a good way to get the flavour all the way through

The animal shelter idea is good too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry I've been away. This is deadbathducky and her new account. Hopefully to stay!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wash Dreadlocks
Styling Side Swept Bangs
How to Trim Your Own Bangs
Using a Curling Iron
How to Give Yourself Perfect Highlights
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...