A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,072
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Environmentally friendly diaper - newborn  (Read 5016 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2008 04:24:45 PM »

Hey to all,

My son and his lovely wife are having a baby in Oct ('08) and they wanted to use cloth diapers.  They are trying to be more environmentally conscious.  So, I got a disposable diaper and took it apart and made a pattern.  I then had to figure out how to put it together, but by the 5th diaper I pretty much had it down pat.  I did download a pattern but it didn't come out as well as I liked, that's why I made my own.  I am quite pleased with how this one turned out, I even made them waterproof by using a cheap shower curtain for the inner layer.  I've made 5 so far, and I understand it's recommended to have between 16-20 diapers, so I need to get busy.  I serged the edges, but felt it needed more than that because of all the washings it will endure, so I also zig-zagged the edges.  I poured water into it and let it sit for awhile to see how waterproofed it was and it did well, I then washed and dried and again it held up well.  I am wondering if I should take one and throw it in the wash every time I wash some clothes to see just how long it will last before it starts falling apart.  I also used 3 layers of terry cloth material (actually an old towel) for the absorbent material that's in the middle section.

Here it is all folded up

Here it is laid out.  I used 1 1/2" elastic for the closures, and put a stiff piece of the velcro on end of the elastic.  That way you can put the pieces together when you want to wash and dry it, it keeps the rough side from collecting fuzz from other things.  I saw that on some pattern and thought that was pretty clever, plus it was like that on the disposable one too.

Here is the sides of the diaper, I even put a piece of of the waterproofing in between the folded piece, added the elastic (also in between), this is supposed to help with keeping contents from leaking out.

Here it is on a Teddy that I am going to give to the baby, it's a boy, by the way.  Well, that's it.  I am in the process of writing the instructions for a tutorial, since it will have a pattern as well, I might have to have that in a PDF file.  I am working on the tute for this, so check back and I should have it up soon.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008 11:39:32 AM by agrafikartist » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008 04:42:22 PM »

WOW!!!!!! what great work and wonderful creativity. lucky baby, lucky family and lucky planet! ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happyfrog
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008 04:47:37 PM »

nice job!

i would recommend you 'splurge' and buy PUL though.  available thru coops or at online diaper shops because the shower curtain will not hold up well.

she's gonna love your gift!  Smiley

bettyann
mommy to 3 in dipes - all cloth covered bums here!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
dakarimom5
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008 05:32:56 PM »

Bettyann, I was going to suggest PUL too!!! Great minds think alike Wink I would also like to suggest hemp or bamboo  for the inside, as well as microfiber. I use cloth too Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunkyMonkeyDesigns
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008 06:22:54 PM »

I would also suggest the elastic in the back be hidden. Go take a look around Diva Sewing Divas web forum or somewhere like that. you will gets lots of tips on sewing cloth diapers and see how they usually end up looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thehappylion
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008 09:13:30 AM »

I agree about the PUL and hiding the elastic as well, but I must say that those look like, when you make the changes, they'll be so much better than the ones I used! I used the Kushies and liked them fine, but my son was one who did adult sized pees from day one on and he tended to leak out the sides, making me have to use disposables when I took him out. Yours take the nice design on the sides from the disposables. I love them and would have paid more for ones like that than the Kushies, happily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008 09:34:13 PM »

i like these, the double leg elastic like a disposable is a great idea. i would be interested in the pattern. my girl should be out of diapers soon (she's 13 months and were aiming from Elimination Communication) but my sister is expecting so i can always pass along any that i make.

nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
FunkyMonkeyDesigns
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008 04:48:31 AM »

There are patterns out there with gussets (the double leg elastic) and they will turn out looking much better if you use one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008 05:41:57 AM »

i don't really care what they look like, they are diapers after all! i just care how they fit and how well they work really. i know people get crazy about making cute things to catch their baby's poop but it seems a little funny to me. i have covers for that!
besides, these look fine to me, just not very polished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
FunkyMonkeyDesigns
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008 06:35:25 AM »

The insides do not look comfortable for little baby and shower curtain is the worst thing you can use for waterproof. It cracks in the high heat of the washer and dryer and will not last long at all as often as diapers get washed and used. It also gets very crunchy and does not breath well like PUL and can cause high temps to build up and that isnt good for the little one's genitals.
They do not have to be "cute" as you put it, but the insides really need to be one continous piece and not have elastic and things exposed. Also, I can tell you from having 2 in CD, these are not absorbant enough.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008 06:37:29 AM by FunkyMonkeyDesigns » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
Sarah Beth Durst on Her Book Vessel
J.K. Rowling Launches Adult Debut Novel at London Event
The Cannibal Coincidence!
Kate Morton Introduces Her Novel The Secret Keeper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...