A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,119
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chrys' Shock-Absorbing laptop sleeve (with gothy rose print)-Tutorial  (Read 2096 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

celticchrys
« on: August 10, 2008 10:48:35 AM »

This is a simple laptop sleeve that I made for myself so I can carry the computer in any bag I choose.  I did this back in the winter, but just now posting.  All fabric is solid black except for the rose print on the front.

Here's a link to an image. (it's large) Once this page loads, click "download" to get the full-sized image with instructions:
http://celtic-chrys.deviantart.com/art/Chrys-Laptop-Sleeve-94414017

http://teadragon.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/laptop-sleeve1.jpg

• Cut 2 pieces of foam in the proper sizes. (Remember to make them larger than your laptop. At least add half of your laptop's thickness when closed to each measurement.)
  • Cut 4 pieces of fabric slightly larger than your foam.(Must allow enough for a seam!)
  • Use 2 pieces of fabric, and sew along three sides, making a large rectangular pocket.  Do the same with the other two pieces of fabric.  (Remember to keep the right-sides of your fabric together!)
  • Turn your pockets-inside out, so that now you have finished edges on 3 of 4 sides.
  • Slide 1 foam rectangle into each of the two fabric pockets you've made.
  • Along the unfinished side of each rectangle, fold both sides of fabric inward and top-stich this side together.  This is just like when you make a small cushion or similar.
  • Now you have two fabric-covered foam rectangles.  Place them together, and sew the fabric along 3 edges together.
  • That's it! You've finished!

You could also make one side longer, and add velcro if you want to fold it over as a flap.  Or you could make both sides slightly too long and add a zipper or velcro to have them close together.  Be creative.

I hope to get a new laptop sometime this fall.  I'm looking at smaller computers this time, so I should have another one to post when the time comes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012 10:28:02 AM by celticchrys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
M.Carmen
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008 03:28:59 PM »

Thank you very much for share this! I really need to make a sleeve for my laptop.

Did you sew through two layers of cell foam and four layers of fabric at the same time?  Shocked

which machine are you using  Shocked ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Khryztina

..Put your big girl panties..and deal with it!!..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008 05:42:58 PM »

pretty rad...if i only found it before...i wouldn't have bought mine.. Tongue...its black and boring...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008 05:44:26 PM by Khryztina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Exalt the Lord our God and worship at His holy mountain, for the Lord our God is holy.

[Psalm 99:9]
celticchrys
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008 10:16:23 AM »

M. Carmen:  I didn't sew through all the layers of foam.  There was a little bit of slack on the edges of my fabric-covered rectangles, so i sewed down the edges of the fabric.  I am using a standard old Singer Merritt sewing machine, but this would also be an easy project to do by hand.

I did take each fabric-covered foam rectangle and sew a couple of straight lines down them, as a sort of quilting detail, using the machine.  The machine handled one layer of the foam with two layers of fabric just fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008 02:56:11 PM »

thats an awesome idea!  Oh, I love it!!!! Grin  Definantly wil protect your laptop better then those regular material cases.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tissue Paper Shamrock
Color Coordinate Your Stamp Projects
Clean Your Stamps
Stamp Basics
How to Press Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...