A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 303,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Calculator and tennis racket keychains  (Read 1534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Tiff the Strawberry
« on: August 10, 2008 09:40:59 AM »

A friend of mine is leaving for college so I wanted to make him something.

This is a model of my TI-84 plus silver edition

Here's the back

Here it is up close. I added the keychain later.

I know it's gross and lumpy, but I kinda just started to work with polymer clay. Any tips?

And the second thing was a tennis racket keychain

With a strawberry instead of a ball. ('cause it's coming from me, Tiff the Strawberry)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009 04:52:20 AM by Tiff the Strawberry » THIS ROCKS   Logged

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008 10:04:13 AM »

Very sweet! Cute ideas too! you can smooth out lumos by just running your finger along the piece with just a little pressure, just keeoing rubbing in the same direction until it's smooth! I think it's cute with it's imperfections though! Wink

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008 10:23:32 AM »

Love that little calculator, and what a great gift!
I know it's gross and lumpy, but I kinda just started to work with polymer clay. Any tips?

There are various ways to get a smooth/unlumpy surface with polymer clay.  
First, it's essential to begin with a smooth surface --which will usually be a sphere, a log shape, or a sheet.  Then you can begin to reshape, add, cut away, join to other bits, etc. and still end up fairly smooth.

In this case, you could have started with a sheet (or doubled-tripled-sheet) which you cut into the rectangular shape, then rounded the edges with a finger... the bottom arc could have been cut with a long flexible blade or pin tool then rounded on the edges, or just by trimming off the corners then refining with fingers, etc.
A different way would have been to create a solid oval shape (by rolling a sphere in your palms in a wider circle than a sphere), pressing the two longer edges fairly parallel, then pressing down on the whole shape with something rigid, flat, and translucent if possible.  When she width is about what you want, remove the presser, trim the top straight and deal with the arc in one of the ways above.

You could then have added a long skinny rope of (silver) clay or a thin strip sitting on its edge. around 3 sides of the calculator to create a kind of frame.

You could use a pen tip to get the button depressions then add a bit of paint to the upraised area (or black clay), or you could make a hemispheric depression with something then press in a tiny ball of black clay, etc.

For the screen, you could add a thin square of clay then roll it into the clay below, or you could impress a square shape first, then put the clay square down inside it, etc.

You could then (or previously) put the whole thing on another sheet of black clay, then trim it even at the top, but slightly wider on the 3 other sides.

(Using cool clay will also help to keep the clay from getting lumpy from handling, etc... so using a firmer clay from the start than Sculpey, or allowing to cool when it gets warm, can be good.)

Also, instead of painting over the clay, you could get the color from the clay.  In that case, you'd probably want to make the black & screen area separate from the bottom keypad area, then join them before adding the exterior parts.  
A pearly silver and gold can be created on the clay by applying Pearl Ex powder to the raw clay with a brush or finger (mask any areas you don't want covered, if necessary, or remove stray bits of it with alcohol on a q-tip), among other ways.
And btw, gel pens will write on baked clay pretty well (clean area with alcohol first to remove any oil/dirt), so you could also make little marks or actual numbers with those if you wanted.

There are loads of ways to have created this kind of replica though, and I think you did a fabulous job!

P.S.  If you want more info on smoothing clay, using rollers and "pressers," applying metallic colorants like Pearl Ex, etc., check out some of these pages:
(...click on Smoothing, Fingerprints, etc.)
(...click on Rollers/Brayers  and on Pressers)
(...click on Mica Powders, or on Real Metal Powders if you want a "harder" metal look)

And maybe these for making "framing" in various ways, and for cutting, blades, etc.:
(...click on Pieced sheets)
(...click on Very Small Frames for general ideas)
(...click on Freehand Cutting, and on Long Blades)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008 10:36:25 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008 11:40:27 AM »

Very adorable. Well done!

I can't breath without art..
www.GardensOfUtopia.Com   One of a kind baby and fantasy sculptures.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Calla Lily Boutonniere
Chris Stone Talks About Berkleemusic
How to Make a Silk Flower Swag
VX Method QuikTip Video #1
How to dance Disco
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...