A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: birds in trees quilt top, opinions desired on what to do next!  (Read 1118 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Paulasews
« on: August 10, 2008 03:49:03 AM »

Hi, I have just finished hand appliqueing the birds onto the background and I thought I would pause and get some opinions about what to do next, I am thinking about adding a border with some flying geese dotted through it then quilting the top just to the batting and hand quilting musical notes/scores through the background then tying the backing on with fine ribbon to look like tree blossom. I have also considered appliqueing leaves. At the moment it is about 5 x 3 feet and would be a wall hanging but I have also been considering using this as a panel towards a bed quilt.

What would you guys do? I would love to hear anyone's ideas, I am not an experienced quilter at all but I am happy enough with this so far that I want to take time to turn it into something I love rather than something that I am satisfied with.

thanks for looking!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amazon.blonde
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008 05:09:14 AM »

i think it's absolutely gorgeous the way it is.  i love the three birds together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008 05:58:14 AM »

i don't know anything about birds really but in my opinion these type of birds do not "go" with geese.
i don't know why but that is just my gut instinct.

and it's very beautiful as is, but if you feel like it needs a frame of some kind, well then maybe something more plain (like a mat-board on a picture), maybe a darkish and not-too-busy fabric, and then it would set-off the quilt better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Paulasews
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008 07:28:43 AM »

i think it's absolutely gorgeous the way it is.  i love the three birds together!

thank you! My sister and mother recently went on a walk where they saw three baby birds sitting in a row like that about to take their first flight, I wanted to include them because I loved the idea of seeing that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paulasews
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008 07:30:51 AM »

i don't know anything about birds really but in my opinion these type of birds do not "go" with geese.
i don't know why but that is just my gut instinct.

and it's very beautiful as is, but if you feel like it needs a frame of some kind, well then maybe something more plain (like a mat-board on a picture), maybe a darkish and not-too-busy fabric, and then it would set-off the quilt better.

thank you! I know what you mean about the geese and wondered whether the association of the name of the pattern would be too strong
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Marmish

Quincy the Pug

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008 11:37:04 AM »

I think the linear, geometric quality of flying geese would contrast too much with the natural, curvy feeling the birds and branches have.  As for the quilting, I would quilt leaves along the branches and quilt bits of musical notes/score in the solid areas.  Maybe applique a few leaves, but more than a few would be a bit much, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008 11:39:34 AM »

You could also add a few birds to the border if/when you add one.  I've seen some pretty nice wood patterned fabrics...choosing something like that might make it look like the viewer is watching the birds through a window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
Paulasews
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008 02:06:01 PM »

I think the linear, geometric quality of flying geese would contrast too much with the natural, curvy feeling the birds and branches have.  As for the quilting, I would quilt leaves along the branches and quilt bits of musical notes/score in the solid areas.  Maybe applique a few leaves, but more than a few would be a bit much, I think.

it looks like flying geese aren't a popular choice! I will scrap that idea then and just do another quilt that includes them. I like the idea of having some quilted and some appliqued leaves

thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paulasews
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008 02:09:08 PM »

You could also add a few birds to the border if/when you add one.  I've seen some pretty nice wood patterned fabrics...choosing something like that might make it look like the viewer is watching the birds through a window.

both lovely ideas, thank you! I'll have to look out for that type of fabric, I'm in france at the moment (usually in the UK) but I know a couple of patchwork shops around here
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008 03:30:52 PM »

i didn't realize you meant geese the pattern.  although i had vaguely heard of it (i am almost as clueless about quilting as about birds) and yeah, if it's geometric i think the feeling of it doesn't go anyway, i agree with that other poster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create the Dita Von Teese Makeup Look
Must-See Beauty Looks From the 2013 Screen Actors Guild Awards
How to Get a Clear, Smooth Glow With These Retinol Skin-Savers
Product Round-Up: Top Foundation Reviews
Know When to Toss Your Old Makeup Products
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...