A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,137
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altoid Tin Themed Swap-Round 11 Gallery  (Read 8377 times)
Tags for this thread: altoids_tin  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loobie
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008 11:38:12 AM »

yey - I'm reallt pleased that you liked it all!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got the eeby geeby's!
LyricalStar
Just starting as a craftster!

Cape Cod Sunset! I took the pic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2008 10:58:53 AM »

Yay I finally recieved my tin from - rira!! let me show you all the goodness I got inside! she used my butterflies and hello kitty theme.

First the tin! this is the bottom. its got butterflies all over it!!! love it!

These are all the goodies.

This is the tin with all the goodies. 2 pairs of earrings, a Hello kitty eraser that smells sooooooo goood. and a butterfly keychain. the hello kitty earrings and the keychain is hand-drawn on shrinky dink.. super cool!

Me wearing the hello kitty earrings.

The cute purple/pink bead earrings.

Thanks so much rira!!! I have the hello kitty earrings on and I dont wanna take them off!! hehehe!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If anyone out there has MY LITTLE PONIES they want to sell or give away, PLEASE contact me!!
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2008 04:37:54 PM »

Hey! My package finally came from Waterbaby! Woot! I have to say, I'm IN LOVE with it all, and I have a million questions...my themes she chose were Alphonse Mucha, and Maori (native New Zealanders) culture.

HOW did you get your image transfer onto the poly clay to be so clear and vibrant? PLEASE send me some notes on this! The rest of the tin is in great paper that makes it look all antique and leathery.

A domino painted up:  . . .  What paint do you use that works so well and stays on?

A pair of earrings with Maori totem guardians:  . . .  What is this polyshrink stuff  you made them of?  . . .  Waterbaby says this is polyshrink (I want this stuff!), then she used chalk pastel to make them look woody.

And last, but my MOST FAVOURITE, is the pendant: it's a hei matau (I think you had a different name for it, WB), which is a Maori symbol (look it up, I'm too tired to type everything out about it!  . . .  How did you get it all translucent? Is that some sort of special poly clay? This is made of poly clay made to look like jade, and boy does it ever! I put it on right away and I love love love it! This is a terrible pic--the piece is stellar, with twisty detailing at the top and lovely shaping and sculpting and I'm soooooooo happy I could do a little dance. Maybe I will!

So glad you liked everything, CtW, and am flattered by your interest in how it was all made!  Heres what I did

Mucha tin Polymer clay transfer

The image was printed directly to a color photocopy machine, so I dont know how the technique I used would work with something from a color printer.  While Ive done black and white and colored pencil transfers onto polymer clay, I wasnt sure if the methods I used would work with color copies, so I researched and experimented to find the one that worked best, at least for me.  I used white polymer clay so the colors of the print would remain as bright and true as possible.  Heres the technique:

Trim the print as close its borders as possible and lay face down on the clay, then gently but firmly burnish for a minute or so; the idea is to sort join the image to the clay without causing any movement in the clay.  Apply a bit of water to the paper so that it is thoroughly wet but not dripping, then start rubbing the paper with your finger in a circular motion, again gently but firmly, in order to rub up and begin removing the paper; add water if needed.  As the paper comes off, the image will become more distinct and you need to use an increasingly lighter touch with your rubbing you want to remove as much of the paper as possible without removing any of the print.  Once youre satisfied that youve gotten off as much paper as you can, baked as normal for whatever clay you used.

Decorated domino Heat-set and alcohol inks

For the background I used blue and purple Sharpies, which are alcohol-based inks and so are alcohol soluble and alcohol malleable as well.  Scribble a bit on the back of a domino, then use a small sponge with some rubbing alcohol and dab around the domino to blend and marble-ize the inks; it usually takes me a few layers to achieve a result I like.  And if it gets too muddied, you can clean the off with rubbing alcohol and start over!  I expect you can do this same thing with any alcohol-based ink.  The designs are rubber stamped using a permanent, heat-set ink.

Earrings Polyshrink

The images are from book illustrations I found online and worked out what size they needed to be printed in order to shrink to the size I wanted them.  To help emulate the look of wood I gave the plastic a basic sanding with synthetic steel wool its kind of like the green scrubby side of those double-sided kitchen sponges and then wiped firmly a few times to create obvious scratches.  The figures were traced onto the plastic using a brown, fine point Sharpie.  Using a craft knife I scraped a few tan-ish shades of colored chalk onto the plastic and rubbed that around to color the background and get it into the scratches.  Colors intensify greatly during the shrinking process and even more so in scratched areas so a little goes a long way, and use pale versions of what you want in the final result.  Then I punched holes in the tops for jump rings, heat gunned them into submission, and colored the backs and sides with brown Sharpie.

Fishook Polymer clay faux jade Maori fishhook pendants symbolize determination, peace, and prosperity; also, a safe journey over water.

The basic faux jade formula is pretty simple: a blend of translucent, green, and, in this case, just a touch of black polymer clay.  Most instructions for faux jade are to chop the clay and then squish it all together to create the visual texture of jade, but I find that happens all by itself when translucent clay (at least translucent Sculpey) is baked.  And I have to say here that this pendant has a nice polished finish overall, but I just couldnt get a single photograph that showed all of the shine I spent SO much time buffing!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Holliewood
Directions? What directions?

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2008 08:51:34 PM »

Thanks so much for the tute's waterbaby!!!  Smiley  Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wisty goodness

You only live once, if you do it right, once is enough.---Mae West
Craft The World

I create, therefor I am.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2008 06:30:41 AM »

Hey,

Thank you so much for the tutorials! I use the same poly clay transfer technique but rarely get that vibrant of colour. Hm.

Your pictures are great, too: I'm glad you got to put some pics up cuz apparently my camera is terrible and obviously is little better than one of those ancient pin-hole cameras.

I may have more questions when I re-read over the info you've put up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always open to personal swaps...I'm always on the lookout for new bags, shawls, punk/steampunk accessories, Altoids tins, etc. As a professional illustrator/fine artist, I can offer something crafty, or something more artsy. Let's talk!
Sarad
The Raddest

Were you saying boo or Boo-urns?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2008 09:03:17 PM »

I received from katcal a while ago, but with crazy circumstances, I am only now able to post pics. She chose my owl theme, and she did a great job with it!

Top of the box:

Bottom of the box:

Inside with stuff:

Inside without stuff:

Cute earrings and bookmark?

The little brown square thing is a really cute book, but I couldn't take a good picture of it for the life of me  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty? Like a fox my friend. Like a FOX!
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2008 12:43:25 PM »

Thanks so much for the tute's waterbaby!!!  Smiley  Very cool!
Thank you so much for the tutorials! I use the same poly clay transfer technique but rarely get that vibrant of colour. Hm.  . . .  I may have more questions when I re-read over the info you've put up!

You're very welcome -- I'm always happy to be able to pass along info!  CtW, this was the first time I tried transferring a color print, and it took a bit of experimenting to get this result.  Are you using prints from a color photocopy machine or from a color printer?  If the latter, I'd guess that the different printing methods and inks probably have something to do with the difference.  Also, I was able to print to the copy machine -- that is, what I used was not a photocopy but a direct, first generation print, which might also be a factor.  Another reason might be that you're not getting all the paper off; in the last stage of the rubbing off stage I worked oh so gently, and in very small increments.

Just let me know if I can shed any further light....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2008 02:40:02 PM »

Im glad you liked Lyricalstar!

Speaking of light waterbaby: anyone have any ideas for getting light where there is none? I've taken SOOOO much time trying to fotoshop decent pics together for swap packages. I have a few lamps set up around where I was trying to take em, but they all get bleached out and craptastic. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
LyricalStar
Just starting as a craftster!

Cape Cod Sunset! I took the pic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2008 04:49:34 PM »

soooo... my partner rira asked me to post the pics of the tin I sent her.

let me explain what happened. I first made her a tin with some really cool stuff in it, but... aparently the post office ain't smart and lost the package and destoyed all the work I had done in the original tin. So.... I wanted to be nice and felt bad it was lost, I managed to make a new one. I like what I made in the new one better, but still liked the design of the old tin.

I thought I would be nice and post all photos of both tins.

TIN #1, the lost package.

Ok, so that's everything that was lost. its sooooo sad. the earrings were so adorable and took me god knows how long... but... its ok.

Anyway...

TIN #2... the one rira recieved.
outside of tin.

inside. top.

inside bottom

What I made to put inside.

sorry for all the pics. I know, soooooo many.

I hope you all like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If anyone out there has MY LITTLE PONIES they want to sell or give away, PLEASE contact me!!
rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2008 04:54:50 PM »

awww. that first one is so pretty! someone postnapped it.

you really didnt have to send the 2nd one, but I've been wearing the earrings and bracelet and have a TON of compliments on both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Tyrant: Putting Your College Style Behind You
Hair Tyrant: A Warmer Professional Style
Ashley Javier: Hair Tyrant Trailer
Beachy Hair Tutorial
Gamine Chignons at the Monique Lhuillier FW 2014 Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...