A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 301,624
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you save patterns for future sizes?  (Read 3762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewcrazymama
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008 08:33:23 AM »

This has been the best for me.   Just trace and cut out.  NO need to iron out pattern no worry of it ripping.

http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/642
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008 10:09:13 AM by sewcrazymama - Reason: spelling » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nana2lily
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008 01:05:53 PM »

As I was reading, I thought I was the only "folder" in the bunch! Like bananabanana, I fold back the bigger sizes. If there is a curve, you can clip it, just like you do on a neckline, and fold back the extra. I have done this on my much loved patterns for dgd's and it works just fine.

I use freezer paper for those patterns that you order that are printed on paper instead of tissue. I DO love the idea of the plastic sheets though. I think I'll just look for that next time I am shopping.

I'm glad you posted this question!

Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjbullock
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008 08:06:21 PM »

Just today I was making those 3 seam baby shoes.... super easy. I altered the pattern quite a bit but I kept the general measurements I first traced it onto brown paper..... It ripped when I pinned it though SO I used these big sheets of thin super bendy never rip craft foam stuff and tada it was perfect steady so it is ALWAYS holding the shape no worrying about it scrunching or anything and super easy to pin through. I am pleased with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008 06:03:58 AM »

As I was reading, I thought I was the only "folder" in the bunch! Like bananabanana, I fold back the bigger sizes. If there is a curve, you can clip it, just like you do on a neckline, and fold back the extra. I have done this on my much loved patterns for dgd's and it works just fine.

I also just fold back bigger sizes.  It works quite well and saves tracing time (although it is still time consuming). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
himtnc1
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008 10:20:20 AM »

I've done this for many years, both for my clothes and children's clothes.     I use a lightweight non-fusible interfacing either with a grid or without, and trace the size I need onto that.    It doesn't tear, yellow, fray, you can see thru it to match plaids, stripes and patterns, it folds easily into the envelopes (if you do that - I do).

I get it when it's on sale or with a discount coupon.   It's really great to have around and doesn't cost much.  I just found some patterns I used over and over, and they are over 10 years old and the pattern is still good. 

Gigi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelleibean
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008 09:01:52 PM »

Am I the only one who uses those colored sheets and tracing wheel? is that old fashioned? That's how my mom did it and although it is time consuming, and the wheel eventaully cuts the pattern, it really helps in transfering all the pattern markings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cocorific

Happiness will always be a napping skunk...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008 07:31:17 AM »

Am I the only one who uses those colored sheets and tracing wheel? is that old fashioned? That's how my mom did it and although it is time consuming, and the wheel eventaully cuts the pattern, it really helps in transfering all the pattern markings.

Nope, you're not alone!  I just bought more paper a few weeks ago.  I've been using the little tracing wheel forever...
You are right about how it does tear the pattern, which is another good reason for tracing the pattern to butcher paper for me!
I bought 200 sheets of 36" X 36" butcher paper on ebay for $20!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P. my sweet little stinker....
Tux
1/20/09
Tamschro
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008 12:39:07 PM »

I've done this for many years, both for my clothes and children's clothes.     I use a lightweight non-fusible interfacing either with a grid or without, and trace the size I need onto that.    It doesn't tear, yellow, fray, you can see thru it to match plaids, stripes and patterns, it folds easily into the envelopes (if you do that - I do).

I get it when it's on sale or with a discount coupon.   It's really great to have around and doesn't cost much.  I just found some patterns I used over and over, and they are over 10 years old and the pattern is still good. 

Gigi

I do this as well, with the Pellon.  I always fold it up and tuck it in the envelope as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008 09:23:24 PM »

Squirrellypoo has a good tutorial on tracing patterns quickly.

I've used that folding back technique like bananabanana and nanafly, after I saw it on a vintage pattern I bought from the thrift store. It may not be the most professional-looking technique, but it's fast and it works.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
mtaplusone

Women Who Strive to Be Equal With Men Lack AMBITIO

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008 01:05:43 PM »

If I really like a pattern, I just wait for it to go on .99 or 1.99 sale and purchase another one.  I have tried all the tricks you all have suggested, and have found this one to be the best for me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Anime DJ Girl
How to Draw Zim
How to Draw Zapp Braniggan
How to Draw Wilma
How to Draw Vicky
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...