A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stuffing amigurumi?  (Read 4421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cindyjane
« on: August 08, 2008 10:45:35 PM »

My first-ever newbie question - Any ideas on what to use for stuffing big amigurumi cheaply?  I was using insulation from speaker boxes, which is soft and you just pull it apart, but I've run out and don't want to buy fibrefill.  What do you all use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_constant_crafter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008 07:22:45 AM »

I've always used fiberfill, but you could start saving all of your yarn ends in a bag and stuff your little projects with them. You could pull the stuffing out of old stuffed animals. Use old nylons, perhaps. I prefer fiberfill, as it fluffs up nicely and it's inexpensive...where I live, anyway. A big bag will stuff lots of little babies! Good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

pug hugs

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008 03:24:38 PM »

I just get the cheap stuffing polyfil at walmart.  Every once inwhile I will find bags of new stuffing at yard sales though for cheap.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_In search of Simply Knitting magazines with Alan Dart patterns.  If you have any I'll swap ya for them!

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
kali_akash
Proud, in a modest, non-hubris kinda way :)

Are those turkey vultures? Wait, are you a zombie

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008 01:08:49 AM »

If you have a lot of old pillows I guess you can tear those open... as long as they aren't like, down pillows or anything...

I just use fiber/polyfil. They're both pretty much the same thing. Do you not live somewhere near a craft store?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to a personal swap for a good sleep mask!!! Inquire within the PM box!
angeltreats
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008 02:45:46 AM »

I use fibrefill too but I got a massive bag of it from ebay, 1 kilo for about 3 ($6) plus postage, and it lasts ages.  1 kilo is a lot when you're talking about something that weighs absolutely nothing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

T-Unit

Zomg. I <3 You Jack & Ianto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008 04:36:19 AM »

Spotlight sells 'polyfill' I bought some which was about $5 for maybe 500 grams...

If you're making amigurumi's a bag that big make heaps.!

You could also go to discount store $2 shop etc and buy their cushions or pillows. they are generally filled with the same stuff

ambiguous
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008 04:40:59 AM by ambiguous.miss » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal integrity and being true to yourself. True keys to happiness.

Wist
RyuuDolly
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008 06:40:38 AM »

Yeah, I tore open a pillow because I couldn't find my bag o_o Walmart sells it for cheap though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angel3rd
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013 10:31:34 AM »

Well I used to buy fiberfill but I started doin more and more big crochet amis such as april dravens cosmo(<3 this pattern) but it takes like 3 bagsand its not cheap at that point. If your doing small things and have 8 or so critters out of a bag its cheap but 3 or 4 bags to one makes the stuffing alone 15 bucks let alone yarn and time. I have been playing with the idea of dryer lint? Just an idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
daff69
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013 11:57:58 AM »

when i first started doing plushies (before I crocheted) I used to use cotton wool to stuff my plushies. Theirs a shop in the UK called Boyes that do big bags of stuffing for 3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xyphir
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013 02:51:54 PM »

I use cheap pillows. Often they are $5 for two at places like K-Mart or The Warehouse (I live in NZ) Fibrefill etc is too expensive (for me) to buy straight, and is the same stuff thye use in a pillow anyway.
Currently I am just finishing off using two European Pillows which have lasted me about 6 months and I've made a heap of ami in that time.

Has anyone tried that fibrefill specifically for amigurumi from Japan which expands once you've stuffed the figure?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rienei
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013 08:37:45 PM »

Fibre fill is like the cheapest thing ever to stuff your plushie. With just 5 bucks from spotlight u can get like a huge bag that last forever! it definitely beats cotton or any other material as cotton tend to loose its shape and get compressed easily. in the end you will spend more on cotton than fibre fill. No matter how u squeeze ur amigurumi doll, fibre fill will let it get back to its original shape. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Follow me @ instagram : Hsyami
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Thrift-Shop Style: Your Guide to a Vintage Wardrobe
5 Things a Mom Should Never Wear
3 Ways to Rock a White Tee
High Street Edit: 3 ASOS Outfits
Trend Takeout: Best Way to Wear Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...