A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how does one get press?  (Read 3977 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amberooni
« on: February 11, 2004 02:09:02 PM »

I have an online business and it's doing fairly well but there's one thing missing.  I'm completely clueless how to get press for my site.  How does one get featured or write ups in magazines?  Or other websites?  Do I contact said magazines or websites?  What is proper ettiquete when contacting press?  Should I make up a press packet to send out?  What should it include?  

And lastly,  is there anyone reading this who could recommend magazines or websites that are diy business friendly that would even be willing to review or plug my shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misha
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004 07:50:59 AM »

Hi Amber,

Yes, this is difficult. I haven't figured it out yet either, but I will try to throw out some ideas.

Have you contacted Bust? I know they will list you in their girlwideweb.

I think a press kit is a good idea. Pull together some nice pics of your stuff printed on high quality paper, put it in a presentation folder and probably include 1 or 2 samples.  Or they may just contact you if they want samples. I think you should contact the publication/website and ask who to send press kits to. I've noticed there is no contact info in the masthead for people like fashion editor, so you may not have a choice but to call the switchboard and ask who should be addressed on fashion/accessories press material. Also include in it a short bio on you and your biz. Don't forget contact info!

Do you live anywhere near a community college? Find one with a public relations programme. Maybe you can get a student to help you with your PR. They would have some ideas and it would help them get some experience if they want to work freelance.

Maybe we can get some ideas here to help us all.  I'm not sure if people want to share ideas like this.  I was in email contact with a seller here in town, and gave her quite a bit of advice about trademarks and even alerted her when her PR person made mistakes on her press releases! She took all the advice I gave her, and when I asked her how she managed to get press, I never heard from her again. Or maybe she was just nasty Cheesy

If i come up with any more ideas, I will post them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004 08:13:32 AM »

someone on glitter suggested http://www.prweb.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lekkner
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004 05:55:19 PM »

a press kit sounds like a good idea. i worked at my college newspaper and used to get them all of the time. include photos, info, samples even...important: make it eye-catching, otherwise it might end up in the garbage, unread.
try sending them to your local paper or free weekly or even your college or a nearby college paper. some papers like to do the "local gal's spiffy business" articles.
someone recommended Bust magazine, also try Venus(zine.com), they have a links page too and are DIY friendly. both mags have reasonable advertising rates, too, if you wanted to try that. Rockpile(.net) seems interested in supporting DIY businesses, as does nervygirlzine(.com).
maybe just try sending stuff out, press packages or whatever, to a bunch of places. the most you'll lose is a little bit of money & you're bound to pique someone's interest eventually.
good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lekkner.com
...turning wack into wearable
http://www.CraftersForCritters.com
...shop independent, help animals in need
joeyjojo666

Long Live Godzilla.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004 09:03:00 AM »

I'm sittin here drinking my coffee and reading all this great info. I have recently found Bust.com and really like their site. I didn't think to use a press kit, so I'm going to give that a try. Thanks for all the input. I finally feel like I'm not just stumbling around by myself in regards to the boring "business stuff."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my latest stuff visit my Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=727

Also featured at:
http://www.ilikeseamonsters.com/catalog/
cardsforcaring

Volunteering through cardmaking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004 04:04:57 AM »

I *love* the idea of sending a press kit to the local newspapers (particularly town ones). I live in a suburb that puts out a weekly newspaper, and I'm teaching a class at the town library next month. Perhaps they might pick up the press info kit and want to talk to me around the same time as the class....who knows (and yes, it's 3 weeks away, but this town doesn't have much action!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim
Cards for Caring
www.cardsforcaring.org
lookingglassgirl

I've got something to say!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004 06:37:55 PM »

Cheesy

Now I'm excited.  As if I wasn't before!  This board is great!  

I am starting up my own pocket mirror business.  I used to do 1 inch pins but a long time ago on ebay I bought this pocket mirror and I've been fixated on being able to make them!  So I finally got the machine to do these GREAT mirrors, now I gotta drum up business!

I've always wanted to do a press release to get some free exposure, so by golly, I'mma gonna!

I just 'celebrated' my 1 year anniversary at a job I'm miserable at today, so yeah, the more people that know about what I IDEALLY want to do, the better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChicaAZ
Crafty Chica!

http://www.CraftyChica.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004 04:12:26 PM »

Here's what I did (I'm a member of the press and this helped me make my own press kit because I know what jumps out at me)
IDEAS:
- make an info sheet (called a "one sheet" that tells about you and your product(s) - use a color copy and include pictures.
- send a sample
- include any other press clippings, more recent the better
- include a few short story ideas. these are "twists" that are unique to your business/product.
- liven up the outside of the package
- call/email and follow up

I get gobs of mail across my desk (I cover entertainment) and maybe it is just me, but the quirky ones are the ones I end up doing stuff on. I love it when they send me samples, because if I choose to write on it I can take the item to the photo studio and have it shot. Good Example: In the recent issue of BUST, theres a guyholding ones of Jenny Hart's embroidered pillows. How did that happen? She sent it in a a gift a while back and the editor loved it so much she kept it inthe office and it ended up in a photo shoot! Very cool!

Most importantly, make your press kit reflect the tone of YOU and your work. It makes a big difference than boring plug-in press release. And yes, I use PRWEb.com too - it works great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace, love and glitter from Crafty Chica!
http://www.craftychica.com
Check out my new product line and sewing book!
celadon
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005 09:04:18 AM »

As an editor of a small magazine, I receive, view, etc. TONS of press kits.

I definitely recommend investing in a good one--whether you do it yourself or enlist help from others.

The key is to make it eye-catching. Perhaps this is obvious, but I can't tell you how many things I have come upon (i.e. press kits I've picked up versus those I've ignored) simply because the folder/packaging was creative or eye-catching. If a writer/editor can only pick up so many press kits (at a trade show, for example) or can only read so many that come through the mail, the attractive/creative ones (or, similarly, ones with the name printed clearly on the cover) are the ones that are going to grab his/her attention.

Don't worry about spending tons of time, money.. but do make sure to have a) a good cover that indicates who you are (for ex., I see a lot of press kits that have nothing on the cover. Yes, it makes me look inside for more info., but this takes time and time is short!), b) plenty of info (but all relevant info). while stories are quaint, editors don't always have time to read about your childhood dreams/inspirations, etc. Keep the info to the point. and c) pictures, pictures, pictures! not only does it illustrate what you're saying... pictures (esp. good ones) can be used immediately in a publication. it just makes it easier for editors to consider featuring you or your work when they already have photography (or can provide photography readily).

Good luck!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindsayanne
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005 11:04:24 AM »

Wow! Thanks for all the info from those of you "in the know"

Re product samples: what if your product has a cost for you of $5+. I don't exactly want to toss those out like candy. And when your product is a sized product, you chances of it landing in the right hand are even less. Would saying "samples available for media purposes on request" be effective? Also, I'm developing 2 products that are hip, uniquem and might be newsworthy- but they are in the $20 to $50 my cost range. How can I best respresent those without samples?

Your advice was really helpful Celadon but can you give us some actual examples of things that have caught your eye? I mean, When I think creative I think "dog shaped envelope! orgami-bone folded cover letter! etc"  Grin Somehow I'm thinking that's over the top.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005 11:10:05 AM by Lindsayanne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Most Affordable Summer Clothes
Solange Knowles and Jenna Lyons Look Amazing at the Blue Jasmine Premiere
Lily Aldridge Is The Face of XOXO for Fall 2013
Jennifer Garner Goes Sexy to Celebrate Her First Fashion Campaign
Designer Looks For Less: Summer Shoe Trends For 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...